Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:51 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Boxster S vs. GT3 at Auto-X ???

Guys:

It's well known the performance of the Boxster S in auto-x. The car with 245/35R18 Hoosiers all around is a blast.

Assuming you can fit Hoosiers 275/35R18 and 305/30R18 in the GT3 stock wheels and considering that the GT3 has a LSD which the Boxster S lacks and better engine response.

Do you think the GT3 could be faster in auto-x?

Please, don't mention racetrack performance, we know the answer on that one.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:05 AM
DealMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have owned both early/later 911s and two Boxsters including an S. Though I am not positive about the end results as I haven't driven a GT3, and I haven't had a chance to autocross my GT2, I think the Boxster S might still prevail due to its neutral handling characteristics. Additionally, at most autocrosses that I have attended, usually a 914 or a Boxster achieves TTOD, and this is even agains very well setup race 911s. Moreover, if you review R&T's results the Boxster S had the quickest slalom time until the Enzo came along...
Old 01-22-2004, 12:32 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If skid pad performance has anything to do with autocross performance, the GT3 pulled 1.03 g's. It has only been bested by one other production street car...the Ferrari Enzo, so I believe the GT3 will best the Boxster in autox

from C&D
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2
Old 01-22-2004, 01:09 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

It depends on the driver. I remember years ago (when I'd occasionally do a local SCCA auto-x) Randy Pobst showing up with some little econobox and being one of the fastest cars there. And it depends on the course. The reason I stopped doing SCCA auto-x events is they were pretty much all small parking lots where I'd have to get back into first gear a lot and that's a PITA in a '70 911T. The Suncoast PCA auto-x events used to be held on a parking apron at McDill AFB and I'd hit the rev limiter in 3rd gear. Ah those were the days
Old 01-22-2004, 08:52 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

When I first started autocrossing in the early '70's I could usually beat the 911's with my almost stock 1.7 914 due to it's great handling, etc. Power isn't everything. I am anxious to try the GT3 at a local autocross this year but unless it's a BIG parking lot its power won't do much good! Still have the 914 but it's not very stock anymore (!) and it would probably beat the GT3 in an average parking lot autocross... may have to take both and see what happens!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at a PCA autocross last year, and it was a reasonably tight course. A well driven 996 was just as fast as the boxster s's that were there. I would think that with it's lighter weight & superior grip, as well as the HP, a GT3 should be quite a bit faster. We'll let you know this summer
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-25-2004, 02:13 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by Steve in FL
"...I remember years ago (when I'd occasionally do a local SCCA auto-x) Randy Pobst showing up with some little econobox and being one of the fastest cars there. And it depends on the course. .."
good point.

the old adage of "run-what-you-brung" takes on new meaning when the mazda miata guys are setting fast time of the day on the same course with--literally--500 hp p-cars. relative comparisons of how cars perform at auto-xs is hardly anything to go by.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I auto-X'd my Boxster S last year. I will be the first to admit that I am not a very experienced/talented performance driver. But on the day of my auto-X, the fastest times were posted by a guy in a Dodge Neon. And the Miatas did very well, too. Auto-X really is all about driving skill, and nimble, well-balanced cars.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:41 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

My Gen. 1 GT3 ClubSport kicks the *** of all other Porsche's including Turbos at autocross, only Caterhams and Westfields are quicker.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs. GT3 at Auto-X ???