Sponsored by:

GT3 exhaust mods.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GT3 exhaust mods.

Sorry if this is a dumb question that has been much raked over already here, but I'm still a newbie in Pcar land.

What alternate exhausts are available for our US spec Mk2 cars?
What is the change in weight, sound & power curve?

Love to hear from anyone who's made this mod.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:13 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Europipe. Far and away the best exhaust offered for GT3 Mk2's. I have one and so does Marco Polo on this board. LG1 also has one on his GT3RS. He resides in Italy. Europipe has made the exhausts designed by Manthey Racing for years. Check out their site. While expensive at $4,300 for the system that included 100 cell racing cats, specifically engineered for the GT3 and ODB2 compliant. They offer a two year warranty and the build quality is second to none.
http://www.europipe.be/1024.html
Link to my installation gallery of the Europipe.
http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq91
Old 01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Rockitman, thanks for those two great links, the only info I couldn't find was; is there a significant weight saving, and will it effect the car when it gets to smog test time?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:14 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

The weight savings are negligible at best. 8lbs. over stock. I do not believe there will be problems with a smog test in California. The cats are coated with the same chemical formulation used on the stock cats, but applied in a more superior way as compared to stock. If the O2 sensor is not tripped, I would imagine that it will pass smog, unless units shipped to California are different from the rest of the United States. If you are concerned about this, email Stef at Europipe. He would be able to answer this question to your satisfaction. My thought is if 100 cell cats used in Fabspeed exhausts pass California smog, there will be no problem with Europipe. I know there are many people in CA using Fabspeed products for both turbo and NA Porsches...

Note: There are many turbo owner's in CA using Europipe's turbo system which also uses the same 100 cell cats...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Christian:

There have been some longevity problems with 100 cell cats, and that's why some tuners have recently changed to 200 cell cats (e.g., TechArt) for their Turbo model exhausts. In the short term, cars with 100 cell cats have passed the Ca. smog test with flying colors. However, IMHO, it's clear that 100 cell cats will not go the distance called for by California's anti-smog legislation -- 7 years/70k miles. FWIW, I'm aware of at least one owner who reported that his Fabspeed turbo exhaust system cats failed (and triggered the CEL) after approximately 20K miles. He indicated that the cats were "shot" and needed to be replaced.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:21 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Keep in mind that Fabspeed "quality" is no where near that of EP from what I can see and have heard. That may have something to do with them not lasting as well...
Old 01-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Hamann7
User

Fabspeed quality does leave something to be desired. I've seen cracked exhaust systems, etc. But I guess you get what you pay for.

My only gripe with Europipe is that it is too damn heavy.

The custom exhaust on my 996TT weighed a total of 16 lbs including piping and muffler.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default tyson for yo Gt2

tyson,

rockit tested this and it's perfect for your Ricer Gt2. the street racers will go wild when you roll up

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:48 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Great bit of PhotoShop!!

Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: tyson for yo Gt2

Originally posted by watt
tyson,

rockit tested this and it's perfect for your Ricer Gt2. the street racers will go wild when you roll up
Watt:

When I saw your name on the last post, I knew, prior to the scroll down, that you would post that pic of my super secret exhaust. Despite it's size, it is a top secret metal fabricated by NASA and is lighter than Tyson's custom exhaust. I believe it only weighs 5lbs.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:45 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

I wasn't even considering exhaust until I saw your pics and visited the site. Fantastic looking quality. Do you think that the powerband is at all been negaitively affected? How about torque? If they don't adversely affect these, I'm in!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:01 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by PatK-Mpls
I wasn't even considering exhaust until I saw your pics and visited the site. Fantastic looking quality. Do you think that the powerband is at all been negaitively affected? How about torque? If they don't adversely affect these, I'm in!
I suspect you are referring to my EP exhaust and not my top secret NASA exhaust...

EP claims 12 hp increase and 8 lb/ft of torque with stock air filter. I dyno-ed my car with the stock exhaust as reference and will be re-dyno-ing this spring on the same dyno including a high flow air filter (BMC). I am confident the claims will be verified. The sound is great and throttle response has been improved. The car does feel more responsive...

Quick Reply: GT3 exhaust mods.