Sponsored by:

New kid on the block

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts
Default New kid on the block

I am very interested in the 996 GT3 (I've noted this term 6-GT3, or 6GT3 what does that mean? is this lingo?), please advise on what I should read about regarding history, production numbers, performance, model year differences, things to look out for when purchasing and how much should one pay for a very good example. I won't be tracking the car and it won't be a daily driver. I am a former '87 911 Targa and Coupe owner and current owner of a 1989 951 and 2011 987.2 Boxster Spyder. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

6-GT3 or 6GT3 is just another way of saying 996 GT3.

Some good threads about production numbers;

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...d-996-gt3.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...n-numbers.html

Things to look out for when buying...

-DME Report, number of type 2 over revs and how long ago they happened. Type 1 not really important.
-Coolant pipes; welded, pinned or still original. Welding the pipes is an engine out service. Pinning can be done with engine in the car. In my opinion, welding is the only permanent fix.
-Options; the only major thing in particular is if it has PCCB's (yellow calipers) or standard brakes (red calipers). PCCB's can be converted to steel rotors. PCCB's are $$$.
-Limited slip; the stock one doesn't last long, this is more important for a car that sees track, not as important for a street only.
-Suspension; stock rear toe links can wear, causing excessive tire wear and not so great handling characteristics.
-Tires; a new set of PS2's in stock sizes will set you back over a $1k. Stock rears are an unusual size, so very limited options. You can size up / down for more tire options.
-Typical 996 issues; a 90's Camry has a better interior.

We have had some similar cars... i had a few 944's over a 10+ year period. My last was an '88 951 that ended up with a 5.7 LS1. I have a '88 Carrera also. Of all the cars i have owned, the 6-GT3 is on a completely different level.
The following users liked this post:
porschedog (10-31-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:38 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you won't be tracking the car at all, you might consider other vehicles in this price range. 6-3 really is a track weapon and it doesn't shine (as much) as a (once in a) weekend cruiser. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but there are a lot of cars with the same DNA but better usability. You can get a pretty good 997.2 S, or a 991.1 base. The interior of the 997/991 are leaps and bounds beyond the 996. By today's standards, the 6-3 is still above average, but there are lots of cars with the same (or better) specs - for 1/2 the money. So, the folks that have 6-3's have them for a reason. And more often than not, that's the track.

As 6-3 info, there are a pile of threads here on purchasing, PPI, DME reports and the key/useful upgrades to the car. The Duck listed some good areas to research. There is also a sticky on must read threads in this forum.

-td

Originally Posted by grgallo
I am very interested in the 996 GT3 (I've noted this term 6-GT3, or 6GT3 what does that mean? is this lingo?), please advise on what I should read about regarding history, production numbers, performance, model year differences, things to look out for when purchasing and how much should one pay for a very good example. I won't be tracking the car and it won't be a daily driver. I am a former '87 911 Targa and Coupe owner and current owner of a 1989 951 and 2011 987.2 Boxster Spyder. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:04 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grgallo
Interesting that you have a Boxster Spyder as that seems to be a common companion to the 6GT3. IIRC the weekend Spyder is a great compliment to the street+track 6GT3 - there should be a few RLers here that can offer the detailed comparison.

I'd agree with Himself and add that these cars really come alive at speeds and g-forces that are criminal on the street. Mine's black so as a "fun street car" it doesn't get much attention - there are better flashy cars for the money. When I just weekend drive mine (as I've done this past year), I doubt why I keep it vs another more civilized, usable 911 (997.2 GTS or C4S or TT or TTS). Then I look into the future and see me slapping myself with regret because it will be difficult/impossible to get back into one. Maybe my answer is 996 Cup plus the weekend 911.. but until I have more space it's wrapped up in one

Just my 2c - good luck with your search.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
If you won't be tracking the car at all, you might consider other vehicles in this price range. 6-3 really is a track weapon and it doesn't shine (as much) as a (once in a) weekend cruiser. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but there are a lot of cars with the same DNA but better usability. You can get a pretty good 997.2 S, or a 991.1 base. The interior of the 997/991 are leaps and bounds beyond the 996. By today's standards, the 6-3 is still above average, but there are lots of cars with the same (or better) specs - for 1/2 the money. So, the folks that have 6-3's have them for a reason. And more often than not, that's the track.

As 6-3 info, there are a pile of threads here on purchasing, PPI, DME reports and the key/useful upgrades to the car. The Duck listed some good areas to research. There is also a sticky on must read threads in this forum.

-td
Himself makes a good point.

The only other reason you might want to consider the GT3 is if, like me, you really feel a "sports car" should be a raw experience. Modern sports cars, while ridiculously capable, are loaded with too many creature comforts and a plush ride. I make a joke about the car in the rain that it sounds like you are sitting in a steel garden shed amidst a downpour. The interior insulation is minimal compared to other street cars. While mine is mostly street, I still thrash it around on the autocross course when I can.

I would not consider a GT3 much of an investment potential, but it will hold its value better than other cars and they are reliable for what they are.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

many thanks Rennlisters, appreciate your comments
Old 10-31-2019, 01:35 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

OP, settle in on your favorite couch with your dog and a beverage or three handy. Read these posts and you'll soon get a better appreciation and understanding of the wonderful & magnificent and seriously fun 996 GT3. Grab some snacks, too.

Quick Reply: New kid on the block