Sponsored by:

Broke engine case on weekend drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 AM
saxen
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Broke engine case on weekend drive

Over the weekend I took my 6gt3 for a nice 400 mile Saturday drive through some of the best roads Colorado has to offer. Unfortunately it turned out to be an expensive trip.
On the drive I came over a small hill that dropped down a short ways, maybe a quarter mile before it ran up a very steep much larger hill. At the bottom of the two hills there were some tall pine trees off to the left casting a shadow over the road. As I came over the top of the first hill and headed down I fixed my eyes towards the top of the next hill. Unfortunately hiding in the shadows was a cattle guard that I noticed just before hitting it at speed.
I held throttle as the car went over the cattle guard, it upset the suspension a bit and the car shifted slightly over as I drove through, but considering the late impact it all seemed fairly uneventful.. considering the circumstance.
We drove a few hundred more miles back home unaware or any issues.
Today, while doing some yard work I noticed a large puddle of oil under the car. As I inspected the car I noticed the two brackets torn and the block was broken. (See pic)
There was a metal bracket bolted to the bottom of the case, from some research that part helps keep the engine from Pushing forward into the interior in a major crash. I guess that part sat low enough to catch the guard as I drove over.

I’m Not really sure of my next steps. The car has 29k miles and is /was in near perfect condition. I’m guessing the cars engine will need a replacement case which will mean a full rebuild. I plan on talking with my insurance company this week to file a collision claim, but I’m not so sure how this will go. Not really sure how to approach this one.

Any my advice is appreciated.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:53 AM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry to read this. I don't have much insight to offer other than going through insurance may do as little as causing an imperfect Carfax, or as great as a Rebuilt/Salvage title. With that being said, 1,000 deductible is a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternative. I suppose your future plans surrounding the car will impact your decision.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:43 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

I am so sorry to hear this. I would assume this will be covered by insurance.. I wouldn't worry so much about the CarFax as long as you document everything.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:18 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Sorry to see that.

Last edited by powdrhound; 05-26-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:28 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Depending on your insurance company - you should be prepared to distinguish this car from a 996 so that they don't attempt to total the car for a very low cost. In terms of the damage - exhaust all avenues including Porsche AG. They consider this to be a special car and might offer some resources for getting it properly restored and documented - i.e. a factory replacement case which may show better for the history. Porsche Classic might even consider it a good candidate for attention. They might also be a good resource if you have a value dispute with your insurer. There should be a couple 996 GT3 engines out there as I've seen a few cars balled up beyond repair at track events. Some were also converted to J class race cars that may have been retired after encounters with various walls. Big race prep shops like Autometrics, Kelly Moss, Eurospot Racing, and others may have a lead on a used case or complete engine if you decide to go that direction. Don't forget to examine the possibility of repairing the case. It will still require a case splitting rebuild but will retain the numbers matching nature of your car. Sorry about the incident - good luck.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:48 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 358 Posts

Oh man. I’m so sorry to hear that. I know you just got the car and we’re really enjoying it too! On the upside this is totally collision damage. No question. On the downside the car will probably take some time to get fixed. However in the end it should be better than new when done and if they rebuild everything it will still be matching numbers etc. And I think the resulting Carfax blemish (if it occurs) will be easily explainable and probably would provide a benefit upon resale, considering the engine is probably going to get significantly “refreshed”. All things considered I’d prefer an “accident” like this over one that harms a bunch of bodywork, because the repair will be invisible and won’t carry the same stigma as a “crashed/repaired” car. Best of luck and keep us updated.
The following 3 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
405 (06-17-2020), Marv (05-26-2020), saxen (05-29-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

Oh man so sorry. I was driving near Poudre Canyon about a month ago and hit a rock I didn't see. Left 2 dings on the underbody and then hit the right header leaving a big dent. New header is on order. Engine case though, man, that's some bad luck.

Cervelli Technical Service in Golden is a great place to get it repaired.

Last edited by Nickshu; 05-25-2020 at 11:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
Mike in CO (06-11-2020), saxen (05-27-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 09:41 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Oh man. I’m so sorry to hear that. I know you just got the car and we’re really enjoying it too! On the upside this is totally collision damage. No question. On the downside the car will probably take some time to get fixed. However in the end it should be better than new when done and if they rebuild everything it will still be matching numbers etc. And I think the resulting Carfax blemish (if it occurs) will be easily explainable and probably would provide a benefit upon resale, considering the engine is probably going to get significantly “refreshed”. All things considered I’d prefer an “accident” like this over one that harms a bunch of bodywork, because the repair will be invisible and won’t carry the same stigma as a “crashed/repaired” car. Best of luck and keep us updated.
I agree, as long as you keep receipts and pictures.

sorry to hear this and good luck with the next steps!
Old 05-26-2020, 12:57 AM
saxen
Advanced

Thank you for the advice so far.
I bought the car late February with 25k miles, I have had many fun miles with some close Porsche friends. It’s all pretty surreal at this point. I can’t believe I damaged the car so significantly with my mistake, I also can’t believe the total cost ahead of me. At this point I Just hope insurance will cover the car.
This was a huge purchase for me, I just hope I can come out of this with my dream car intact.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Thats a painful picture. Good luck with the fix.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Really sorry to see this and and please pardon my curiosity. We raise cattle and I wondered how a cattle guard end up in a pubic road? Maybe Colorado does things differently.
Ours are all concrete (immovable in the ground) but there are steel bar types that are set in concrete as well which I suppose could fall off a truck delivering it. I've seen "cattle gates" deposited on the road but never a guard.

If you get a new case from Porsche or better yet, a "new engine" with factory documentation that'd should be good enough for even the most picky. I'm guessing a short block and transfer of your ancillaries. Harley Davidson used to stamp a replacement engine with the original number. Same with frames where you cut the head stock with serial number and sent it back before you got a new frame. The old parts were destroyed.

I know some very talented technical welders who work for builders and fabricators. This area would have to be welded and machined which is going to get expensive and personally I wouldn't trust any welding on a seam. After it's welded a machinist is going to have to jig up the case to dress the area. He had better be really good. There also may very well be other cracks. From what I can see this area took a heck of a shot.

Best of luck.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
Really sorry to see this and and please pardon my curiosity. We raise cattle and I wondered how a cattle guard end up in a pubic road? Maybe Colorado does things differently.
Ours are all concrete (immovable in the ground) but there are steel bar types that are set in concrete as well which I suppose could fall off a truck delivering it. I've seen "cattle gates" deposited on the road but never a guard.
Many rural/ranch areas of Colorado, particularly in the foothills and mountains, are designated as "open range" and cattle guards are present as you enter/exit these areas.
The following users liked this post:
sithot (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 12:48 PM
saxen
Advanced

^^ nickshu is correct.

I talked with insurance this morning and started a claim.
I also contracted a local Porsche classic dealership here in Colorado. "[Porsche of Colorado springs"
a few things noted. they do offer long block rebuilds that would be shipped from Germany, the price is $38,000 at this location. the two case halves are $8700 each ($17,400 for a new case) im not sure of a rebuild would end up cheaper or a new long block from Porsche.
ill keep you all posted.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:23 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by saxen
^^ nickshu is correct.

I also contracted a local Porsche classic dealership here in Colorado. "[Porsche of Colorado springs"
a few things noted. they do offer long block rebuilds that would be shipped from Germany, the price is $38,000 at this location. the two case halves are $8700 each ($17,400 for a new case) im not sure of a rebuild would end up cheaper or a new long block from Porsche.
ill keep you all posted.
Let me know if you need a case Levi. I have a 997GT3 dual oil squirter case for less than half what PCS is quoting you. Have one sitting at home in Denver. Better case than the 996 case but not period correct of course.

Last edited by powdrhound; 05-26-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by saxen
^^ nickshu is correct.

ill keep you all posted.
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Broke engine case on weekend drive