Sponsored by:

Tall Guy Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 12:51 PM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tall Guy Accommodations

I've been through all the old threads and didn't want to revive them but wanted to check to see if there are any new approaches to getting another 1-2 inches of headroom and leg room.

Previous consensus seemed to be:

1. Swap in BK race mounting
2. Drop in GT style race seat
3. Center console delete - if not already this way
4. Add steering wheel spacer as needed

Am I missing anything? Any new manufacturer options that I missed? I really don't want to bolt the tracks to the floor as my wife also likes to drive.

For reference, 6'9" but only 225ish lbs so shoulder room isnt that big of an issue. Currently have a e46 m3 slicktop with manual seats that fits me fine. Have been in base 996s with sunroofs that havent had the center console deleted. That's how I know I need that extra room. 997s with buckets fit fine.

Also, I havent been able to find the actual interior dimensions (headroom, legroom) for the 996 GT3s anywhere on the net. Has anyone come across these?

Old 09-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

To confirm, you fit in 997 GT3's with the factory GT2 bucket seats? Those actually sit higher than the factory seats by quite a bit.

I think you have all possible options for the 996. At least for me, the area in 996's where I need more room is between my knees and the steering wheel. So the center console delete and the steering wheel extension would be the most necessary items. But it's one of the reasons I went for a 997, to get a bit more interior space. If the 996 had tilt steering wheel along with telescope, I think I would be fine.

Keep in mind the 996 GT3 does not have a sunroof and you can get them with manual seats, so you may have to do less than you initially imagine. The sunroof does take up a lot of space. I have not been able to find specific interior dimensions either, but your best bet may be to have someone actually measure their interior with the seat in fixed positions, like all the way down and back for headroom and legroom, space to bottom of steering wheel if fully extended, etc.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:16 PM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
To confirm, you fit in 997 GT3's with the factory GT2 bucket seats? Those actually sit higher than the factory seats by quite a bit.

I think you have all possible options for the 996. At least for me, the area in 996's where I need more room is between my knees and the steering wheel. So the center console delete and the steering wheel extension would be the most necessary items. But it's one of the reasons I went for a 997, to get a bit more interior space. If the 996 had tilt steering wheel along with telescope, I think I would be fine.

Keep in mind the 996 GT3 does not have a sunroof and you can get them with manual seats, so you may have to do less than you initially imagine. The sunroof does take up a lot of space. I have not been able to find specific interior dimensions either, but your best bet may be to have someone actually measure their interior with the seat in fixed positions, like all the way down and back for headroom and legroom, space to bottom of steering wheel if fully extended, etc.
997.2 4s with buckets, not a gt3. also, no problems in a 997.2 cab with 4 ways. no issues in 991s either. surprisingly, could squeeze in a 2015 caymen gts with 18 ways all the way back and down. no shot of a helmet in that one though.

in my 996 experience the steering wheel did bump up against my knees but gaining another inch or two down and adding a wheel spacer to bring in forward a bit would hopefully alleviate that issue.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:00 AM
94526GT3
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I am slightly over 6’6” at 180 lbs and I fit in my 996 GT3. I am more leg than torso. My only concern is my size 13 shoe sometimes gets stuck underneath and I have a fear it will lead me to stall my car at a light and bring ultimate shame onto me... (It has never happened).

Headroom and knee room is not an issue. My car is completely stock. If you would like me to measure anything let me know.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:37 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As an alternative to the BK piece, GMG makes a good looking seat base that keeps the slider while lowering the seat.

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio.../gmg-seat-base

Old 09-07-2020, 10:37 AM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to reach out to gmg to see if that seat base also adds legroom too but it looks great for adding a few inches of headroom.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:02 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 626 Posts

The amount you can drop the seat bottom is limited by the M535 alarm module that sits under the driver's seat. I have the BK side mounts and it's really tight. You can go that low, then any other "lowering" will have to come from tipping the seat back. Unless you remove the alarm.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Mountain Gnome
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

6 foot 6 ... and yes, it's a tight fit in my 6GT2.
I have the so-called euro buckets on OEM mounts. I'm as far back with the seat as the cage will let me.

Removing the seat cushion/upholstery will give you an addition ~2 inches of room (vertically). It's just velcro'ed in so no big deal to to try that.
The cup steering wheel is fantastic as it gives you more clearance for steering relative to your knees. That also helps a bit with leg-room.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:18 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I got these seat extenders which push the factory seat back by about 3 inches. https://extendmyseat.com/porsche-911...seat-brackets/

They work well but they do raise the seat height by an inch or so. it's less of a problem if you have the power adjustable seats but I know with the non power seats you will be quite high.

If you are 6'6" you may also want to consider a slightly thinner seat cushion--i know that was an option from the factory.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:41 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am only 6'3" and did the following with my 996TT including sunroof:

1) Steering wheel 2" extender. Never had a comfortable leg and arm position before. This was golden.

2) Smaller diameter steering wheel with a flat bottom. Tracking the car around a corner, my hand would hit my leg and needed to shuffle my hands to complete the corner.

3) Recaro Profi driver's seat

Last edited by 996TWINS; 10-13-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Tall Guy Accommodations