Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy? What’s the story?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 10:55 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Why did you buy? What’s the story?

What motivated you to buy a 996 GT3? What is the story behind your journey to 996gt3?

I remember being at Thunderhill in 2004 with the Audi Club GG chapter, and David showed up with his new 6gt3. Jaw dropping looks, insane performance. On startup it sounded broken, it came with a factory roll bar and harnesses! It screamed by and sounded unreal. Oh and the alcantara. I could not fathom this was a factory version of a car - had Porsche lost their mind? I knew then that was the car for me, but it was way way out of my price range. I told my wife some day I will buy one... some day.

Fast forward to 2014, a decade later and my wife woke up and I had a **** eating grin on my face. I saw the to be my 2004 here on RL and made the deal before she even woke up. White, low miles, tracked, new guard diff, and sport seats. Perfect. I didn’t hesitate. I’ve done fittings, 4.0 flywheel/clutch, AiM solo, battery, a bunch of alignments and she’s seen dozens of track days. With the right setup - sooo amazing and rewarding to drive at the limit.

Its been 6 years and she still brings that grin every time I drive her. A couple years later I added a 996 gt3 supercup.

What’s your story?

The following 4 users liked this post by kgorman:
air993 (04-19-2023), AlexCeres (10-25-2020), masti99 (10-08-2020), pirahna (06-22-2023)

Popular Reply

10-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 534 Posts

Luck. Then again, maybe something else. You decide...

When I was in Ohio and they introduced the 996 GT3 I called a dealer asking if I could drive one. He laughed and said that no one test drives these cars. They are ordered from the factory.

Oh, well, there went my dream of checking one of these out. So I bought a 993 C2 and put PSS9s on it. Then I moved to Florida in 2006.

It was Saturday, December 6th, 2006. My 993 needed a part, but the local dealer's parts department was closed. Fortunately, the showroom was not. There, to my surprise, was a one-owner Guards Red 2004 GT3 sitting on the lot with just 5,500 miles n the odometer.

Well, I got my test drive! The salesman talked price and a trade value for my 993. I said I would need to think about it and left.

One hour later I called him back and asked if they could have the car ready in one hour. I had a very important dinner date that I did not want to be late for. They agreed and I met my wife-to-be that very night as we stood on the beach, watching a night launch of the Space Shuttle. She didn't see the car.

Fast forward a few years and we got married on December 6th, of all dates, with a Guards Red GT3 as part of our wedding. The car, now with 142K miles, has been with us ever since. Derek Bell even autographed the hood for us! The man is amazing, but that's another story.

The irony didn't stop there. One day in a Walmart parking lot someone stopped me in a white 997 GT3, yelling, "That's my car! That's my car!" It was the original owner and he told me he had ordered the car from the very Ohio dealer I had inquired about test driving a GT3.

Fate—Karma—Luck—I don't know. I am only certain that I am glad we have it and so is my wife. It's our family car.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:42 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

The last analog 911 and difficult to drive fast. Because if I can drive this car fast on the track I can drive anything newer with nannies even faster with ease.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-09-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:18 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

A wonderful handful on the track but more important a car that is a blast to drive on the street without getting stupid. I've driven a GT2 RS and it's so impressive BUT at 100 mph it feels so calm you don't really feel like you're driving - you're just steering. A 996 GT3 ALWAYS demands that you do the driving. I bought my GT3 as a 2 for 1 - selling a 964 Targa and an '88 944 Turbo S to raise the money. The guy that sold me the car was the original owner and claimed he was selling it because he moved and couldn't get the GT3 in and out of his garage. I thought that was bull but went to look at the car anyway. Sure enough - it took the 2 of us 45 minutes to get the car on to the street in front of his place. He said that if he was alone (he lived alone) he couldn't get the car out or put it away. I solved his problem, bought the car and took it to my in laws to await a transporter to bring it from CA to IL. The first hauler to show up had a soft side semi with ramps even though I had requested a hard side with a lift gate. My wife was in CA to meet the transporter and said to the driver "those look like ramps you're getting out. My husband said something about a lift gate". The driver said "look lady I know how to load an f'ing car". Her only response was "good bye" and she left him standing in the street yelling. The next transporter was proper. The car is probably a long time keeper - but I'll die married to this woman.

The day it arrived 8 years ago.

Last edited by jpoint; 10-08-2020 at 03:57 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by jpoint:
brontosaurus (01-26-2021), frederik (03-31-2023), masti99 (10-09-2020), pirahna (06-22-2023), porschedog (10-08-2020), primal (10-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 534 Posts

When I was in Ohio and they introduced the 996 GT3 I called a dealer asking if I could drive one. He laughed and said that no one test drives these cars. They are ordered from the factory.

Oh, well, there went my dream of checking one of these out. So I bought a 993 C2 and put PSS9s on it. Then I moved to Florida in 2006.

It was Saturday, December 6th, 2006. My 993 needed a part, but the local dealer's parts department was closed. Fortunately, the showroom was not. There, to my surprise, was a one-owner Guards Red 2004 GT3 sitting on the lot with just 5,500 miles n the odometer.

Well, I got my test drive! The salesman talked price and a trade value for my 993. I said I would need to think about it and left.

One hour later I called him back and asked if they could have the car ready in one hour. I had a very important dinner date that I did not want to be late for. They agreed and I met my wife-to-be that very night as we stood on the beach, watching a night launch of the Space Shuttle. She didn't see the car.

Fast forward a few years and we got married on December 6th, of all dates, with a Guards Red GT3 as part of our wedding. The car, now with 142K miles, has been with us ever since. Derek Bell even autographed the hood for us! The man is amazing, but that's another story.

The irony didn't stop there. One day in a Walmart parking lot someone stopped me in a white 997 GT3, yelling, "That's my car! That's my car!" It was the original owner and he told me he had ordered the car from the very Ohio dealer I had inquired about test driving a GT3.

Fate—Karma—Luck—I don't know. I am only certain that I am glad we have it and so is my wife. It's our family car.
The following 10 users liked this post by Marv:
air993 (04-19-2023), brontosaurus (01-26-2021), engerman (03-30-2023), frederik (03-31-2023), HDA (10-08-2020), jpoint (10-08-2020), masti99 (10-08-2020), pirahna (06-22-2023), porschedog (10-08-2020), primal (10-11-2020) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2020, 10:01 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Wow great story, thx for sharing!

Originally Posted by Marv

Old 10-08-2020, 02:51 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

My father used to be an exotic car salesman when I was a kid. The cars I remember him bringing home the most were always 911's, we had 944's growing up and I was always fond of the Porsche brand.

When I'd come home on break from college, the "thing" my dad and I would do is wake up in the morning, grab some coffee and go drive through high end dealerships just to look at cars, gave us a great excuse to catch up talking cars, life, etc. In 2000 on winter break we pulled into a particular dealership here in town and they had a 996 Aero package car up on the hill. Mind you this was before we got the GT3 here so the aero kit was the best option we had. Ironically that car was speed yellow and it left SUCH an impression on me, I was instantly in love. From that day on that was the car I wanted to own.

I made that a reality in late 2006 with a Guards Red example. My father's health was on the decline at that point but he got the opportunity to drive that car on our Saturday morning car exploring journey one time before he passed. The sense of pride on that drive for both of us was through the roof.

Being a track rat and actively tracking motorcycles and then our E46 M3 the track progression continued with the 996 Aero. Try as I might it was never quite going to be a GT3 though. We had to part ways with that car in 2009 due to a health scare with my wife. She cried the day it left and almost immediately we started putting together a plan to acquire a GT3 next. I watched all of 2010 as the market on these cars bottomed out and they got pretty cheap for what they are, and in 2011 when values started to go back up we made the decision to pull the trigger on a GT3. After a 3 month search my current car found it's home and the rest is history. Both the 996 Aero and GT3 came from Rennlisters and I couldn't be happier with both purchases.

From there it's been a journey of development for the last 9 years into what I feel is one of the better developed and more potent examples in the country while still retaining full interior and not being a gutted track car. Every single modification along the way was done with careful consideration for effectiveness and weight savings. The modern stuff might have more grip and more might but this old girl still holds her own every time she's at the track.

Writing all of this makes me sad it hasn't had much attention the last couple of years. The desire to do some sort of wheel to wheel racing lead me to kart racing but it's still great to get the old GT3 out every once in awhile to stretch her legs even if it's only been the occasional trip instead of regular ones like years of the past.

The following 4 users liked this post by AudiOn19s:
AlexCeres (10-25-2020), jpoint (10-08-2020), Marv (10-08-2020), Nickshu (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 04:00 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Hey Andy - I DE'd my GT3 for years and then did a couple days of David Murray. It's as close as I'll ever get to racing with open passing and "point" passing in the corners. With the track hot all the time you're going out into a group that's already running full tilt. Quite a difference, a bit intimidating, and loads of fun.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:31 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

For some reason I always come back to the 996gt3. The 3.6l Mezger, no nannies. The relatively good bang for buck. The car is just so much fun to drive. Hard to keep up with the newer GT cars. But, fun to upset a few if they can’t wheel properly.

I think the 3.6l in 996gt3 and 997.1gt3 is one the most reliable engines ever produced by Porsche.

First one bought in 2003 996gt3MK1.

Track beater raised on Sebring. Now lives in Europe and spends most of it times at Swedish tracks and the Nurburgring.

996gt3rs is so special. Doesn’t get driven enough.

The following 5 users liked this post by 997rs4.0:
911Vintage (11-05-2020), jpoint (10-08-2020), Marv (10-08-2020), Nickshu (10-08-2020), pirahna (06-22-2023)
Old 10-08-2020, 04:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a 2000 C2 that I was abusing on the track. I frankenstein'd that car until it was as close to a GT3 as I could get it. Multiple suspensions, seats, roll bar, cooling, wing, whatever. I even blew an engine along the way. Ultimately, I decided that trying to "build" a GT3 from a C2 wasn't the best idea and transitioned to a 996 GT3 in 2009. The market was on the fritz and I got a really great deal on it. I've been driving it for over a decade, including loads of track miles. It's at the shop now getting a little lovin'. It's such a different experience driving this car and hard to explain to people. A lot of cars these days feel numb, even though they are fast. When you really DRIVE a 996 GT3, it's rewarding. My other cars are fun, but they give very different smiles...

-td
The following users liked this post:
cag4 (10-29-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:36 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Hey Andy - I DE'd my GT3 for years and then did a couple days of David Murray. It's as close as I'll ever get to racing with open passing and "point" passing in the corners. With the track hot all the time you're going out into a group that's already running full tilt. Quite a difference, a bit intimidating, and loads of fun.
Did a few similar events, did some NASA Time Trial competition, but still wanted more. The karting is infectious, I wish I could get more of my track friends into it. I'm in the best shape of my life at 42 years old because it's physically demanding and if I were to get back in a car and push I guarantee I'd set personal bests anywhere I went (being 45 lbs lighter than the last time I competed in it would be a plus). I'm on a kart package I can go race at the club level or national level against the best of the best in karting. We compete regularly at 3 different tracks and if I wanted I could race almost every single weekend.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:02 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

I grew up watching Carrera Cup live trackside on the Adelaide F1 street circuit and even though it was only a support category, it was always the highlight for me. Seeing the noses of the cars bob up and down in the bumpy braking zones and the unmistakable note of the flat six was intoxicating. Furthermore, it was unbelievable that anyone with the means could simply buy a racecar straight from Porsche and send it round a race track. As soon as I could afford it, I found myself in a GT3 and loved my three years tracking a very sweetly modded road car. Since then, after deciding I needed to own one of the actual race cars that first got me hooked on these cars, I ended up with a 996 GT3 cup with Carrera Cup history. I still look forward to every outing with great anticipation and to me nothing will ever top a track outing with a proper race car. However I think driving your track car on public roads is also very cool so I’d like to add a road going 996 GT3 back at some stage in the near future.

The following 2 users liked this post by spiller:
jpoint (10-09-2020), kgorman (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I had a 2000 C2 that I was abusing on the track. I frankenstein'd that car until it was as close to a GT3 as I could get it. Multiple suspensions, seats, roll bar, cooling, wing, whatever. I even blew an engine along the way. Ultimately, I decided that trying to "build" a GT3 from a C2 wasn't the best idea and transitioned to a 996 GT3 in 2009. The market was on the fritz and I got a really great deal on it. I've been driving it for over a decade, including loads of track miles. It's at the shop now getting a little lovin'. It's such a different experience driving this car and hard to explain to people. A lot of cars these days feel numb, even though they are fast. When you really DRIVE a 996 GT3, it's rewarding. My other cars are fun, but they give very different smiles...

-td
I did the same w/ a 2003 Carrera. I converted that car back to stock and my Dad bought it from me and daily drives it.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 AM
golfinz
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Simple really. Have been cross shopping a few different Porsches within my budget over the last 8-12 months. Manual aero 997 GTS, manual 991.1 C2S, and 996 Turbo. A close friend of mine suggested I try to find a 996.2 GT3 to drive; he had one, loved it, but lived in a place where it was difficult to enjoy (big city built like a grid with bad roads). I live in a city where most roads aren't straight and finding a fun road to drive on, even to work, is relatively easy.

I've had a few 'luxury sports cars' and while they all were fun, they all sort of fell flat (AMG, M3, S4). This Porsche was going to be a second car, so I wanted something more engaging. As soon as I drove that 996.2 GT3, the thought of purchasing another Porsche left my mind. It checked all the boxes of being fun, fast, rare, engaging, and eventful. As luck would have it, shortly after I drove my first 996 GT3, a RL'er posted some details on his car (not officially FS, more of a feeler) and the rest was history.

Really happy this is my first Porsche, except for the fact that it probably ruined my experience with all others....

2004 Atlas Grey GT3

Last edited by golfinz; 10-09-2020 at 11:06 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by golfinz:
jpoint (10-09-2020), kgorman (10-09-2020), Marv (10-09-2020), primal (10-11-2020), tgavem (10-18-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 12:05 PM
4ng crcs
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Kenny...
It sounds like that GT3 that inspired your insanity was my seal grey that showed up that day with a disconnected front ARB courtesy of Joe forgetting to reconnect it after he did the corner balance on the car.
He'd only recently started working for Tony and didn't have the check list committed yet.
I only remember you and I taking the car around the track trying to figure out where the strange clunking was coming from.
The front bar stayed disconnected until I drove it back to Tony's a few days later and he finished the job.
This episode provides a clear picture of how much I knew about the car that I owned and loved.
The half cage in the car was actually one that Mooty had had in one his many 6GT3's that was sitting in Tony's shop and was painted white, since it had been in a white car (that Fong now owned).
I had it powder coated black before Tony installed it and it was one that Tony had built.
I'm happy to see you're still enjoying the cup and the white car when your not out thrashing the UTV or whatever that crazy offroad thing is.

As to how I was introduced to the car?
I used to stop by the Fremont Porsche store on occasion after I had bought my 99 Carrera there.
One day the GT3 showed up on the lot with ~4K miles on it.
The car was totally stock aside from some onboard radar detector stuff and high end sound equipment.
I had time on my hands, so took the car for a drive.
I pretty much knew I was going to buy it as soon as I listened to it on cold startup.
I'm only disappointed I was never able to grow into the potential the car offered.

Last edited by 4ng crcs; 10-09-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:07 PM
kgorman
Drifting

You nailed it. Exactly that day. ;-)

Originally Posted by 4ng crcs
Kenny...
It sounds like that GT3 that inspired your insanity was my seal grey that showed up that day with a disconnected front ARB courtesy of Joe forgetting to reconnect it after he did the corner balance on the car.
He'd only recently started working for Tony and didn't have the check list committed yet.
I only remember you and I taking the car around the track trying to figure out where the strange clunking was coming from.
The front bar stayed disconnected until I drove it back to Tony's a few days later and he finished the job.
This episode provides a clear picture of how much I knew about the car that I owned and loved.
The half cage in the car was actually one that Mooty had had in one his many 6GT3's that was sitting in Tony's shop and was painted white, since it had been in a white car (that Fong now owned).
I had it powder coated black before Tony installed it and it was one that Tony had built.
I'm happy to see you're still enjoying the cup and the white car when your not out thrashing the UTV or whatever that crazy offroad thing is.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy? What’s the story?