R&T Article - 996 GT3 Pair

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 11:42 PM
ad93
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default R&T Article - 996 GT3 Pair

Hey Guys,

Thought you may enjoy this article of my dad and me. It was such a blast doing this photo shoot with my dad. Jonathan did an amazing job taking the pictures and his writing does a great job summarizing the magic of the 996 GT3.

- Austin

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...n-911-gt3-duo/
The following 6 users liked this post by ad93:
engerman (02-04-2021), HDA (02-04-2021), Johannvb (02-06-2021), Ohio Performance (02-04-2021), Rambler_13 (02-04-2021), SwayBar (02-04-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:34 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ad93
Hey Guys,

Thought you may enjoy this article of my dad and me. It was such a blast doing this photo shoot with my dad. Jonathan did an amazing job taking the pictures and his writing does a great job summarizing the magic of the 996 GT3.

- Austin

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...n-911-gt3-duo/
very cool story and amazing pictures. I wish I could still share my gt3 with my dad.

BTW they are missing 20hp here.

With its naturally aspirated water-cooled flat-six producing 355 horsepower at 7500 rpm, the 996 GT3 was the first in Porsche’s growing line of hardcore GT

The mk1 version of the GT3 had 355hp. Here in the US we got the mk2 with the (ehm better ehm) revised engine up to 375hp.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:24 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Wow. How many people get to share such a well documented special moment with their pops. RIP dad but congrats OP!
Old 02-04-2021, 09:51 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome! Great write up and an even better story!

-td
Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Mortared
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Grew up with a love of cars because of the appreciation my dad had for them. Never could afford a Porsche but he had every “economy sports car “ I can remember from 1970 on. He know drives a Tesla 3 Hope I don’t have that to look forward to. I have 2 sons. Taught them both how to drive standards in a Porsche. The first in a 95 993 and the second in my 6GT3. They got them moving and then preffered to go back to their Subarus. Maybe Subaru will call me about an article?
Old 02-04-2021, 05:33 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 358 Posts

This is an awesome story! Treasure that dad of yours. (caution: oversharing alert!) My dad was always a car guy and a constant tinkerer/shade tree mechanic, but never lusted after anything European. Small town, too expensive, too flashy, etc... Then I got a Boxster right after I got my first law firm job (paid 24k!). We flew out to Sacramento together and drove it back to Arizona together. We laughed and smiled the whole way back. My favorite road trip ever. First Porsche, 15 hours of driving, with your equally excited pops!. Then I bought a 996 C2, then a 996tt, and then he saw the light. too. He bought a 996 cab and our relationship grew soo much as we now had a common passion and interest. We did maintenance together, did mods, talked about the next mods, did drives, etc.... He then added a 997 C4S Targa, which he adored. I hooked him and it was great. Even my mom got in on the action with a cayenne turbo along with a full compliment of Porsche apparel!

Then one day he decided to sell the cayenne and the 911 and get something cheaper with no payment and a warranty. It was so confusing as he loved those cars so much, but he told me he just had this overwhelming desire to simplify things, streamline his finances, and start thinking about retirement a little more. To be honest I was kind of pissed. Not two months later he was killed by a disgruntled husband of a woman he was representing in a messy divorce (she was also murdered the same day). His decision to sell those cars and replace them with something new and paid for made life so much easier for me and my mom as there was just one less thing to try to sell and worry about. My dad never got to actually experience a gt3 or any other of my other really "fun" cars, which is such a bummer...he would have enjoyed immensely the various gt3's, the lambo, the current ferrari, etc... But I'm pretty sure he is still enjoying them right along with me nonetheless. You are a lucky man!!!! Although I missed out on many fun times with my own dad, I'm going to make up for it by sharing my passion with my now 16-year old and 13-year old sons (16 year old learned to drive stick in my 911sc!). Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-04-2021, 05:44 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
This is an awesome story! Treasure that dad of yours. (caution: oversharing alert!) My dad was always a car guy and a constant tinkerer/shade tree mechanic, but never lusted after anything European. Small town, too expensive, too flashy, etc... Then I got a Boxster right after I got my first law firm job (paid 24k!). We flew out to Sacramento together and drove it back to Arizona together. We laughed and smiled the whole way back. My favorite road trip ever. First Porsche, 15 hours of driving, with your equally excited pops!. Then I bought a 996 C2, then a 996tt, and then he saw the light. too. He bought a 996 cab and our relationship grew soo much as we now had a common passion and interest. We did maintenance together, did mods, talked about the next mods, did drives, etc.... He then added a 997 C4S Targa, which he adored. I hooked him and it was great. Even my mom got in on the action with a cayenne turbo along with a full compliment of Porsche apparel!

Then one day he decided to sell the cayenne and the 911 and get something cheaper with no payment and a warranty. It was so confusing as he loved those cars so much, but he told me he just had this overwhelming desire to simplify things, streamline his finances, and start thinking about retirement a little more. To be honest I was kind of pissed. Not two months later he was killed by a disgruntled husband of a woman he was representing in a messy divorce (she was also murdered the same day). His decision to sell those cars and replace them with something new and paid for made life so much easier for me and my mom as there was just one less thing to try to sell and worry about. My dad never got to actually experience a gt3 or any other of my other really "fun" cars, which is such a bummer...he would have enjoyed immensely the various gt3's, the lambo, the current ferrari, etc... But I'm pretty sure he is still enjoying them right along with me nonetheless. You are a lucky man!!!! Although I missed out on many fun times with my own dad, I'm going to make up for it by sharing my passion with my now 16-year old and 13-year old sons (16 year old learned to drive stick in my 911sc!). Thanks for sharing!
I am deeply sorry to hear what happened to your father. What a senseless waste of life.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Scott,

I love when you overshare. Sad to think of what could have been with my father but extremely happy with how it was and how he made me turn out to be.

Cant imagine your loss but those boys of yours are lucky as anyone to have such a great hobby to connect with their father!

Just get them on track ASAP and show them how much fun this hobby can really be!
Old 02-06-2021, 04:11 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Great article! 25 years ago when I bought my first 924, my dad did not want to be left behind and finally gathered the courage to make his dream come true; a 911SC. We used to have great drives together. Nowadays I live on the other side of the planet from him so we don't get to share many driving moments together. The last time was back in 2012 when he came over and we did a roadtrip down to the 24 hours of Le Mans in my 968.

@Austin, why are you and your dad running the cars without the splitters. When I damaged my splitter and drove without one a for a couple of weeks I found the nose to be quite light at speed.

Last edited by Johannvb; 02-06-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:55 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

Great Article!
Old 02-09-2021, 10:28 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona

How awful for your family. Prayers for all of you.

Quick Reply: R&T Article - 996 GT3 Pair