Sponsored by:

Slave Cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 11:33 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder replacement

Gentlemen, sorry haven't posted in years, Short and sweet on slave cylinder.

6gt3 was making a squeak when pushing the clutch in and the pedal was not very smooth and pretty stiff for many years. I replaced the slave with a little white lithium grease on the actuator and it turned out awesome. The clutch has never felt better. The difference was so dramatic my son said it was like the clutch pedal like on a cayman, it used to be super stiff and no longer had a linear feel!

For those of you DIY guys like me, with a lift: disconnect left drive shaft at output flange, then reach around the gearbox with both hands from underneath, use one hand to guide the ratchet with extension and 13mm socket onto the two bolts retaining the cylinder, pretty simple with 2 hands. Once out open bleeder and crack open the MC cap, then gently push pedal to floor. Then change the line over to the new Slave, add white lithium to tip of actuator and then guide it in by hand to engage the throw out arm! You can miss the arm if you aren't diligent about this. Open the bleed valve which has no fluid yet, and have your teenager push the MC from the front to the rear and put in the 2 bolts by hand, tighten properly and then refill & bleed! The hardest part is figuring out you need 2 hands to do this simply and having that extra hand that's not bitching about being in the garage. By the way Copans built my box less than 5K miles ago so I knew it was likely the Slave.

It came out so well I gave jr (13) his first driving lesson last night in the 6gt, before this he couldn't push the pedal repeatedly! BIG SMILE! He was so excited, said was a revelation compared to the air cooled cars.

Cheers guys!

The following users liked this post:
TurboCup87 (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 08:49 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder replacement