Sponsored by:

Going to list my GT3 - wanted some community feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 12:04 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Going to list my GT3 - wanted some community feedback

So, I think it's time for me to sell the 996 GT3. It's been in storage during the pandemic and I don't think I'm going to get back to the track for a few years due to kids/work/life/etc. Many of you will remember that I got the car through a Rennlist member back in 2009. I made lots of posts here and in the Racing/DE thread on the car. Plenty of videos as well [including the one that will be the first reply to this thread].
  • I'm thinking of listing at $110-115K, with all the extras and trailer included. Text of the add I'm going to use is below. Let me know if you have any strong reactions [good/bad] to the listing and asking price.
  • I confess that I haven't been monitoring the market, so my current listing price is based on 1 hour of research yesterday across the internet.
  • I'm sure I forgot to add some relevant details
Here's the draft ad I worked up. May need some tweaking, but hopefully this is enough to get the ball rolling.

=====================-DRAFT-============================
DRAFT
=====================-DRAFT-============================

SUMMARY
2004 996 GT3
VIN WP0AC29914S692594
54,xxx miles
$110,000 OBO (including all extras, spares, and trailer)

With mixed feelings, I’ve decided to sell my GT3 which I’ve owned for almost 13 years (originally bought from a Rennlist forum member in 2009 @ 20,682 miles). It’s without a doubt one of the most enjoyable cars I’ve ever owned and there’s nothing “forcing” me to sell it (hence the mixed feelings). But I have kids and other toys (e.g. R8) so my time and attention are less GT3-focused than they used to be, and I don’t want to just “hang on to it” simply because I can. I’ve had a ton of fun with it both on the street and the track and it has performed flawlessly. Now it may be time to let someone else to experience it and, with all the desirable extras, the next owner shouldn’t need to do much with this car except drive and enjoy it like I do. It’s in great shape both physically and mechanically and I’ve kept it well-maintained throughout my ownership, but it’s not a garage queen or a Fabergé egg. For my safety on the track (and because it’s the right thing to do) I did (or had done) all the normal/required service either on schedule or more frequently/earlier than scheduled. For things that I can’t do myself, I take it to Rennsport in Sealy TX. They are the #1 Porsche, race-oriented shop in the Houston area (you can confirm this for yourself). At 17 years old and 54,000 miles, it is mechanically as good (or better) than it came from the factory. I will work with you to have a PPI done at the shop of your choice.

Included Extras
  • + OEM Euros Seats [$3,500]
  • + Techquipment Roll bar [$1,500]
  • + Aeromotions wing [$2,000]
  • + Guard LSD @43,469 miles [$2,500]
  • + Revalved OEM Suspension + Springs. Springs/shocks revalved (700/900), Tarret rear monoball mounts, rear toe arms with locking plate. [$2000]
  • + Rear toe arms with locking plates
  • +Tarett upper monoball mounts
  • + Rennline solid engine mounts @50,917 miles
  • + Replaced transmission mounts @50,919 miles
  • + Racing Brake - caliper rebuild @51,251 miles (October 2016)
  • + Caliper studs
  • + Caliper rebuild [2016]
  • + Wheel Studs
  • + Rennline Pedals and Track Mats [and fire extinguisher mount]
  • + Fabspeed muffler bypass
  • + Fire extinguisher and mount
  • + 6-point harnesses
  • + Console delete
  • + A/C
Disclosure
  • Regular and diligent maintenance.
  • Aggressive track alignment + Sumitomo street tires.
  • Lots of Range 1.
  • NO Range 2.
  • Two of the coolant pipes have been replaced, and the rest are not currently pinned. The car is currently stored at the Rennsport (in Sealy, TX). They are a top notch Porsche shop and can pin them if you want, do a PPI, whatever.
  • Some paint blemishes due to street/track driving and wrap removal (e.g. front bumper, bumperettes, one small spot near driver’s wheel well).
  • In April, 2013, the car had a minor / slow speed incident impacting the passenger rear suspension. There was no frame, sub-frame, or tub damage. While addressing the impacted corner, I had the shop update all the shocks/springs on all 4 corners and all 4 shocks were factory revalved and matched to 700/900 springs. As a result, the car came back from the shop faster than it went in and, since then, I’ve had no issues.
  • 368 WHP [baseline in 2009; Mustang Dyno]
  • The attached pictures are representative of the car (i.e. nothing cosmetically has changed since these pics were taken). I live about an hour from Rennsport, and plan to get more pictures, but it isn’t as easy as just going to my garage to do it.

Trailer, Wheels, and Additional Parts

**I'd prefer not to break apart things and sell separately, but I suppose that could happen.**
+ OEM 996 GT3 wheels (track) - $3000
+ 2 extra Front Splitters - $300
+ OEM Wing
+ Console and cubbies
+ Extra brake pads
+random spare parts
+ Open steel trailer with 2 tire racks, box and winch - $2,500
  • 2 spare trailer tires
  • Warn winch with remote
  • Upper tire rack will fit ~8 wheels depending on size
  • Lower rack will fit ~6 depending on size

Last edited by himself; 02-11-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:05 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Video I mentioned:

Old 02-11-2022, 12:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

have fun with the new opportunities.
I obviously sold my car 3 months too soon and lost out on ~ $30K?
Its interesting seeing a race track with grass in the paddock.

R8?

Old 02-11-2022, 12:47 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,054 Posts

Best of luck with the sale. VIN should be WP0 not WPO. Just so that when people copy and paste into a VIN decoder they don’t have issues.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:13 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 358 Posts

Good luck with the sale! I think its a good deal with all the extras, but you may have to hold out for that person that wants all that stuff and realizes how much it would cost to add it after-the-fact. For what its worth, the top dollar sales do seem to be purchases by folks who want something close to oem to plug into a collection (and not track the car, sadly).

One bit of advice that immediately jumped out to me. I would give more detail about the "incident." By using that word, it seems like you are not wanting to really explain what happened, which will cause concern for most buyers looking to shell out 6 figures on a car like this, and probably cause them to assume it was worse than it was. So, just a suggestion, but more detail and less language like "incident" might be a good idea (I'm a lawyer and I use the word "incident" in a pleading when I want to refer to an event without having to say "that time my client punched the plaintiff in the face and knocked out three of his teeth" LOL!). Was paint work required as a result of the "incident"? That would be a key piece of info for a buyer I would assume.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:28 PM
PCA7GGR
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Intro a bit wordy - just not driving the car should suffice. If available, pics of “incident” before/after repair) would be great. Skip price of upgrades - instead offer to send interested parties copies of invoices if requested. Copy of over rev report would be great as well

GLWS
Old 02-11-2022, 01:28 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 700 Posts

How quickly do you want to sell it? At 110-115k it will sit for a long time in my opinion and/or never sell at that price unless the market moves higher again then it will sell. High miles, silver, heavily modded, and an "incident" all deduct from the value.

This one's been for sale for a few weeks already at 119k with less miles, no incident. If it was a "fair" price it would have sold within a week or few days: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1287812
Old 02-11-2022, 01:42 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 329 Posts

You should sell me those seats for $3500 before you sell the car

As far as productive input goes, IMO you would be better off doing it all piecemeal as finding a buyer for all those items at once will be a bit challenging.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

edit: thanks everyone. Great input. These cars are becoming rarer and rarer. Mine is not a garage queen, but it is a great driver's car. All things considered, I think the car is priced on target, with some room to negotiate. And, if it doesn't sell, I won't get my feelings hurt. I like having it

Originally Posted by cgfen
have fun with the new opportunities.
I obviously sold my car 3 months too soon and lost out on ~ $30K?
Its interesting seeing a race track with grass in the paddock.

R8?
I don't know that you missed the market timing. Maybe I'm must optimistic. R8 is awesome. Those pics were at the shop, not the track! lots of grass

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Best of luck with the sale. VIN should be WP0 not WPO. Just so that when people copy and paste into a VIN decoder they don’t have issues.
Fixed. Thanks!

Originally Posted by cooler2442
How quickly do you want to sell it? At 110-115k it will sit for a long time in my opinion and/or never sell at that price unless the market moves higher again then it will sell. High miles, silver, heavily modded, and an "incident" all deduct from the value.
This one's been for sale for a few weeks already at 119k with less miles, no incident. If it was a "fair" price it would have sold within a week or few days: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1287812
Yeah. I saw that one. It was the best data point, I think. Similar miles, upgrades, usage, etc. ~$15-$20K more expensive. It's only been a few weeks and so I don't think that's a long time for a 100K car to sit. I did try to adjust the price for all the things you noted. In my mind, my car would be listed at around 100K if you adjust for all the extras. That's a ~20K difference, just on the asking price.
  • What do you mean by heavily modded? It's only got a few proper upgrades. IMO, hardly "heavily modded" - but I'd be interested to know what you mean.
  • Don't folks consider 54K miles low for an 18 year old car? Maybe "higher" than the ones listed, but definitely not "high miles", no?
  • I've had the car ~13 years and I'm not motivated to sell. Definitely not trying to liquidate it "quick." I don't mind holding onto it.
  • edit: I think (hope?) the market is going to continue to go up as there were only ~958 GT3s brought into the US. And, it's only got a few more years before becoming a classic car. [edit] Silver was definitely popular back then

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
You should sell me those seats for $3500 before you sell the car
I wish I had other seats to put into the car. doh!

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Good luck with the sale! I think its a good deal with all the extras, but you may have to hold out for that person that wants all that stuff and realizes how much it would cost to add it after-the-fact. For what its worth, the top dollar sales do seem to be purchases by folks who want something close to oem to plug into a collection (and not track the car, sadly).
I'm a lawyer and I use the word "incident" in a pleading when I want to refer to an event without having to say "that time my client punched the plaintiff in the face and knocked out three of his teeth" LOL!).
Thanks. I'll consider your your comment. I was trying to balance full disclosure with the length of an already lengthy ad. I'm sure a buyer will ask a ton of questions anyway. I questioned how much detail needed to be included on that point as the car was 100% afterwards and I drove it for years without issue. I am confident that a PPI will put any buyer at ease. [edit: also I don't see my car as a top dollar-type sale. The low mile cars out there now are around 140-160K! I'm way under that!]

Last edited by himself; 02-11-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:04 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

My opinion is that if you are fully committed to the sale, return the car to as close to stock as possible and sell the parts separately. You’ll get more for the car and more for the parts = win win. GLWS and I would also say if you don’t need to do it, don’t
The following 2 users liked this post by spiller:
Robocop305 (02-14-2022), SeanPatrick31 (02-12-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like a great deal for someone. Your pricing is reasonable, considering the market. Asking in the forum will get mixed opinions, since people who were shopping last year think they go for 75k, but that's what a rough 993 goes for now.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:50 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

GLWS. As a fellow higher miler, I hope you get what you’re asking.

Originally Posted by himself
And, mine is 1 of 54 silver 2004 GT3s! Silver ain't so bad! lol
Silver was the most common color in 2004, with 219 sold. Is your car not Arctic Silver?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...5-996-gt3.html
Old 02-11-2022, 05:55 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Separately: part of my "math" was based on the Rennlist listing [[url]https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1287812], and also this one on BAT, which sold last week [2/7/2022] https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-911-gt3-43/.

The BAT listing is basically my car, but it had more miles, no big wing, no Euro seats, no extra wheels, not a clean Carfax -> and the BAT car went for almost 90K less than a week ago. Although the Rennlist listing has 10K fewer miles, it doesn't have the wing, it's catless, and has Ohlins.

I guess that highlights what folks were saying about pulling all the extras and selling the car stock + parting out the rest.

Maybe I can figure out how to streamline all of this...

-td

Last edited by himself; 02-11-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:01 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Silver was the most common color in 2004, with 219 sold. Is your car not Arctic Silver?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...5-996-gt3.html
Cool. Thanks for the updated info. I was going off a stale chart! Someone picked this up since I last looked! Sweet!

-td

Quick Reply: Going to list my GT3 - wanted some community feedback