Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBS E88 barrels.. any colour options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 11:00 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default BBS E88 barrels.. any colour options?

Maybe I'll get flamed for asking - anyone ever asked for gold lip with gold centres? Is that possible?

Last edited by mistermct; 06-24-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:08 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

try this

https://bbs-usa.com/race_wheels/whee...s.cfm?wheel=62
Old 06-24-2022, 11:52 AM
mistermct
Racer

Thanks.. i guess "call them and ask" is the obvious answer.

They don't offer any lip colours other than polished silver and apparently the gold colour is very hard to match. Also.. lead times are 8+ months for certain Porsche centres!!!!
Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct

They don't offer any lip colours other than polished silver and apparently the gold colour is very hard to match. Also.. lead times are 8+ months for certain Porsche centres!!!!
from the marketplace

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1290998

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1230980
Old 06-25-2022, 11:58 AM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 122 Posts

I have tried asking about this and they don't. Only custom color faces. You could try and have them taken apart on your own and then anodized or plated, but not sure if the wheel will be compromised by doing so.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:50 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct

When I was buying wheel parts for my GT3 Cup, you could only source polished outer pieces of the 3-piece wheel. Wheel centers are paintable (not advisable to powdercoat them though due to potential cracking as a result of the "baking" process involved in powdercoating. I did have my wheels centers painted in the gold color found on the GT3 R/RS wheels. It took my painter quite a while, but he finally found that the color for the gold painted centers was the same as that used for the Subaru WRX STi wheels. I see him next week to have my FVD Ram Air Scoop mounted on the GT3 and I will see if he still has the applicable paint codes.

The following users liked this post:
mistermct (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 05:15 PM
mistermct
Racer

Their solution was to ask Supreme Power about refinishing the lips as they apparently went through the effort of getting the BBS Gold paint from Germany. Given they're a BBS dealer, I'd probably just get the whole set up from them if I get enough conviction that full gold is the right way

Good to know about the WRX STI wheels!
Old 07-07-2022, 04:39 AM
smceo
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 194 Posts

No go - just factory polished outer lips, with factory gold centers. Let us know how we can help if you wish to explore E88 options.

SYSTEM MOTORSPORTS
RAYS / ADVAN / BBS - RETAIL / WHOLESALE
@thomsonsss / @systemmotorsports

Old 07-08-2022, 01:12 PM
googone20
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 76 Posts

Wait, you can't powder coat the centers of 3 piece wheels??? I have never heard this before. Maybe Magnesium wheels is what you are referring to? I know many wheels come with factory powdercoating, so I am questioning this causing any long term issues. I have powdercoated wheels for years and never had any issues after. The baking process is usually 400 degrees or so, so how would this damage wheels when brake rotors can be 3x that and they don't necessarily crack?
Old 07-08-2022, 02:07 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by googone20
Wait, you can't powder coat the centers of 3 piece wheels??? I have never heard this before. Maybe Magnesium wheels is what you are referring to? I know many wheels come with factory powdercoating, so I am questioning this causing any long term issues. I have powdercoated wheels for years and never had any issues after. The baking process is usually 400 degrees or so, so how would this damage wheels when brake rotors can be 3x that and they don't necessarily crack?
The BBS rep I spoke to explicitly stated don't powdercoat any part of the wheel. Yes rotors get that hot but I'd doubt that any part of the aluminum wheel gets that hot on track. low 300s to 400 F are the annealing temperatures for aluminum but usually takes several hours to perform the heat treatment. The 20-40 min in that temp will affect the strength (re lower) but only a little... so it really depends how hot, how long, and what you start with. I'd suspect that a lightweight forged wheel would be most susceptible to strength reduction because of the low mass (temp will rise faster) and the grain structure created during forging will be eager to relax at those temps. That's my working assumption.. so I wouldn't risk the powdercoating, especially on forged.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:32 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Big fan of the all gold e88 look
The following users liked this post:
philrob1 (07-22-2022)

Quick Reply: BBS E88 barrels.. any colour options?