Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a lead on Cup car cables?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 10:53 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anyone have a lead on Cup car cables?

Would love some for my car.. sadly I'm probably 5 years late to this party.

​​​​​​If not, I guess Numeric?
Old 11-24-2022, 11:04 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I have the numeric with shifter. Its pretty tight but i dont mind it. Im pretty sure their ends will work with the porsche shifters.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:11 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

Cup cables are NLA but numeric is supposedly the next best thing. My advice with the cup cables is it’s really important that you combine with steel bushing shifter and also stiffer engine mounts (and ideally gearbox inserts). There’s a lot more effort required than stock, which is nice, however it feels very notchy with OEM engine mounts.

YMMV
Old 11-25-2022, 03:13 AM
mistermct
Racer

Thanks, Spiller. Iirc there's a 997 part (maybe just base 911) that's got a good feel but doesn't change throw too much. With stock DMFW, I don't want short throws so I'm a little turned off by the numeric shifter.. I just want to stop missing 3rd gear when the car is all loaded up 😅. Then I guess get some FF inserts.. gotta dig up those old threads. I've been meaning to do this mod for years and my ohlins have made the poor stock cables more apparent!
Old 11-25-2022, 05:34 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was referring to Numeric cables, not the shifter itself. The Numeric cables are the next best thing to cup cables. I’m not a fan of short shifters either. The 997.2 shifter is 15% shorter and has steel bushings. I have done the Function First shift right bushing upgrade to a stock 996 shifter. Highly recommend that and works well with the cup cables.

the 997.1 GT3 shift action feels more precise (shorter down and across the gate) than 996 but I’m not sure if that’s because of the shifter or something to do with the gearbox itself.

Engine mounts and gearbox mount inserts will greatly help with you missing 3rd under load. I have all of this in my 996 GT3 and currently very happy with it.

Last edited by spiller; 11-25-2022 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:44 AM
mistermct
Racer

Yes, I figured you meant cables.. I glossed over that and went right to shifters! Sounds like a bunch of FF parts and Numeric cables are the route for me.

Which inserts did you choose and I assume for your street car?
Old 11-25-2022, 02:28 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermct
Thanks, Spiller. Iirc there's a 997 part (maybe just base 911) that's got a good feel but doesn't change throw too much. With stock DMFW, I don't want short throws so I'm a little turned off by the numeric shifter.. I just want to stop missing 3rd gear when the car is all loaded up 😅. Then I guess get some FF inserts.. gotta dig up those old threads. I've been meaning to do this mod for years and my ohlins have made the poor stock cables more apparent!
As a no-cost option, have you tried experimenting with how you shift? I had similar issues when trying to upshift to third while WOT and sometimes while the car was side loaded. Would more often than not hit between third and fifth and get blocked. I think it was a blend of trying to shift too fast and trying to force it to where I thought third was based on muscle memory from the other two cars. After reading some posts on here, I became slightly more patient with my shift, and also just pressed forward with the palm of my hand and let it guide itself rather than me trying to guide it. Haven’t had a missed shift in a while after retraining myself.

Note: I have a LWFW so have to be somewhat fast with shifting. Also have 964 RS engine mounts, a 997.2 GT3 shifter, and new-ish stock cables. However, I doubt the mods helped because I still had the issue after mods.
The following users liked this post:
mistermct (11-26-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 05:08 PM
philrob1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

997.2 GT3 shifter & cables is a brilliant upgrade to the stock shifter. More directly, shorter throw, but not overly notchy or needs high effort
Has the 7.2 shifter shortened the across the gate movement as well us up and down?

Last edited by spiller; 11-26-2022 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 12:02 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mistermct
Yes, I figured you meant cables.. I glossed over that and went right to shifters! Sounds like a bunch of FF parts and Numeric cables are the route for me.

Which inserts did you choose and I assume for your street car?
Yep these are in the street car. The cup has solid engine and box mounts . I have Torque solution engine mounts and I think I went with their transmission mount inserts too (the 60A street from memory). Minimal increase in NVH with both of these. You can hear the internals of the mezger more which I like. Not much if any additional buzzing that some cars exhibit with poly mounts. Might notice a bit more if you had a stock exhaust. Last mod on my list is LWFW then I’ll have reached gear shifting nirvana.

Last edited by spiller; 11-26-2022 at 12:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mistermct (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 01:26 AM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by Sirenty
As a no-cost option, have you tried experimenting with how you shift? I had similar issues when trying to upshift to third while WOT and sometimes while the car was side loaded. Would more often than not hit between third and fifth and get blocked. I think it was a blend of trying to shift too fast and trying to force it to where I thought third was based on muscle memory from the other two cars. After reading some posts on here, I became slightly more patient with my shift, and also just pressed forward with the palm of my hand and let it guide itself rather than me trying to guide it. Haven’t had a missed shift in a while after retraining myself.

Note: I have a LWFW so have to be somewhat fast with shifting. Also have 964 RS engine mounts, a 997.2 GT3 shifter, and new-ish stock cables. However, I doubt the mods helped because I still had the issue after mods.
Yes, I've tried. As I get more pace on track, the shift to third gets to the point where i have to unload the car before it will shift. The stock flywheel doesn't like fast shifts anyway so that helps with gentle shift speed - another reason I don't want shorter throw. I'm fairly certain it's all the bending and loading causing the issues.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a lead on Cup car cables?