Sponsored by:

Need help with DME overrev report

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 10:22 AM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need help with DME overrev report

I’m looking at an ‘04 996 GT3 with the following DME reading showing Type 2s fairly recently. The gearbox was blown (per owner) by a “guest” driver and was rebuilt recently. The car has been a dedicated club racer since 2010. Any insights will be appreciated!

Old 09-15-2023, 11:19 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

Have to expect hard use from a car that's been a dedicated club racer for 13 years. Sounds like the PO's guest wasn't much of a driver. I would want to see compression and leakdown numbers on this car. These cars are robust but very expensive to r&r when things get worn out.

What do you expect to do with the car? Continue racing it? Return it to street car? Could be a good deal for the right price, just depends on your expectations.
Old 09-15-2023, 11:29 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 329 Posts

Range 1s are maxed out, but not particularly surprising given the use. The Range 2s would imply a max of ~3s spent over 8800 rpm.

I'd want to know many and what sort of hours were on the car since the incident. As noted, cam deviation and leakdown/comp values would be useful to determine what sort of discount would be fair here. The DME #s need to be taken in context when you're thinking about range 2. Range 1 is harmless but just gives extra color to the history.

Last edited by brontosaurus; 09-15-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-15-2023, 08:36 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 358 Posts

To echo the above sentiments, this dme info is too my mind not the main issue (its not great, but not horrible). The issue is its prior use as a race car. That is a waaaaay different use mode than a street car or even a frequent DE car. This is race car, seconds matter, eek out every last tenth of a second, keep revs near readline through the corner, type of use. The good news is that the gear box has already been addressed. My experience is that the gearbox rebuild can be nearly as expensive (or more so) than an engine rebuild! Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Cheburator (09-18-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:15 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys! I went ahead and requested a leak down and compression test. On the positive side, the car has been maintained with an open checkbook by one of the top Porsche Indy’s in CT. The asking price is very attractive relative to the GT market.

Quick Reply: Need help with DME overrev report