GT3 In Poconos on Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by NJ-GT
Larry:

I don't know about the PA PCA chapter but the NNJ chapter force you to run in the green group even is you are Michael Schumacher. The more DE events you have with NNJ-PCA, the faster th group you get assigned to. Your experience at the track with other clubs doesn't count.

You can get to a point where you run a 40Hp 356 in the advance group, and you hold the whole group up to the passing zones.

That's why I have zero track events with them. That's why I run track event with other clubs.
Having done about 22 events with NNJR, I would have to say that this info is a little off... If Michael Schmacher shows up, he's not going to be put in the green run group. While he's good at the F1 level, he probably would only be able to handle our yellow group

In all seriousness... our region is large enough and DE events are popular enough that we generally have a long list of people who could be bumped up a run group. The problem is that the upper run groups are so full, that there's no room for new drivers. When there is room, let's guess who's going to get the spot - someone who keeps showing up to NNJR events (and people can easily see their progress) or someone who goes to other events and the organizers have no clue of how well they are doing?

I'd agree that in the green, yellow, blue, and white run groups, you have a few people that can be turtle slow in the corners. That's not the case in black/red. And that's even more true if the driver doesn't have a lot of HP. I've found that I'm more likely to be held up by a high HP car than I am by a low one. (And, the driver of the 40HP 356 is wicked fast in the corners)

Finally, no matter what car a person has, new drivers belong in green. Run groups are largely based on skill and experience level. Being able to buy a faster car doesn't make someone a better driver.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:35 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome.. I took a break from here for a while. The redundancy of discussion was KILLING me.

My house is actually right on Lake Wallenpaupack in the town of Hawley.. The "Hideout" is about 10 mins away I believe, although I have never been there.

I am currently signed up for 6/9 at Watkins Glen, although I may not be able to make it due to a court date on 6/10. Anyone else here going to that event??

Adam
Old 06-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Brian-P Your comments about newcomers starting in Green gave me a chuckle. Last year we ran a De just a few days before the Rolex Grand Am race at the same track. The Rennwerks Team (now Flying Lizard I think) drivers signed up for the DE because they had never driven our track before. Our registrar put Johannes Von Overbeek and Lonnie Petchnik in Green. I had a huge laugh and after a session to show them the line moved them to Black. They were very polite and displayed exemplary track etiquette. It was great having them!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:45 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Van Overbeck on the green group?. This is better than my Schumacher example.

BrianP:

I agree that new drivers belong to the green group regardless of their cars. I don't want to see non experienced drivers running in my group (hazard).

Quick Reply: GT3 In Poconos on Memorial Day