996 GT3 Oil Dipstick reading

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 01:56 PM
elendrill
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996 GT3 Oil Dipstick reading

Hi all,

I recently changed the oil in the MK1 996 GT3. For the purpose of changing the oil I drained it and put in the amount which came out (a bit more than 8 liters).
My car is an early MK1 and doesn't have the on-board computer so the only way to measure the oil level is by using the dipstick.

After driving around a bit I tried to measure the level (with the engine idling on a flat surface) and I'm not able to see anything on the dipstick. I also tried with the engine off and there is still nothing on the dipstick.
I added around 1.3 liters more and there is still nothing showing on the dipstick.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure that I have enough oil in the car? Any advice on using the dipstick? I would just keep adding oil but I'm scared that I've put it more than the "maximum amount" already. When idling my oil pressure is at the 5 mark on the gauge.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:09 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

The dipstick is notoriously difficult to read. Lay it on some clean paper towel and you should be able to see the level that way. Your oil pressure gauge should be reading around 2 bar at idle with the engine up to operating temp.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:38 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

I've tried a couple times to read the dipstick and never have succeeded. But I have onboard computer, so I haven't tried too hard to read the dipstick.
After fully draining for 20-30 minutes, I usually add 8 liters and that gets it to low/middle scale on the computer. Then another half to one liter so it's near, but not at, the top.
Around 8.5 - 9 liters all together.

My oil pressure is also 2 bar or so when idling warm. Don't know if I've paid attention to what it is cold. But anything above idle it gets up to 5 bar pretty quick.

Mark
Old 12-29-2023, 07:35 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know the differences on engine oil capacity if any between Mark I and Mark II but you may have too much oil in there now.

From first hand experience with Mark II, if one drains the engine oil for 60 minutes then a refill of 8.6 liters puts the level up to maximum line of gauge. As member Rootwitch stated start with a fill of 8 liters then top off as needed. Engine needs to be at full operating temperature.

Last edited by enthusiast; 12-29-2023 at 07:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cavlino (01-19-2024)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:17 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

My mk2 motor takes a solid 9 quarts on a oil change.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:07 AM
TopPorscheFan
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by elendrill
Hi all,

I recently changed the oil in the MK1 996 GT3. For the purpose of changing the oil I drained it and put in the amount which came out (a bit more than 8 liters).
My car is an early MK1 and doesn't have the on-board computer so the only way to measure the oil level is by using the dipstick.

After driving around a bit I tried to measure the level (with the engine idling on a flat surface) and I'm not able to see anything on the dipstick. I also tried with the engine off and there is still nothing on the dipstick.
I added around 1.3 liters more and there is still nothing showing on the dipstick.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make sure that I have enough oil in the car? Any advice on using the dipstick? I would just keep adding oil but I'm scared that I've put it more than the "maximum amount" already. When idling my oil pressure is at the 5 mark on the gauge.
I’ve been down this path, the first time it happened, I was confused but I ended up adding 3.5 litres of oil and finally got the oil level between the top two hash marks. When the oil is super clean and fresh, it can be hard to see, the towel trick mentioned above is very helpful. My 996.1 is consuming oil enough that I check the level every two or three fillups. That’s another story, but it does give me experience in the area of your question—the answer: keep adding oil until you’re between the top two hash marks. Then check it very regularly. If you don’t, you’re flirting with catastrophe. Don’t ask me how I know.
Old 01-13-2024, 06:56 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 01-13-2024, 09:35 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a 2004 GT3. I’ve changed the oil annually since 2007. When I change it, after opening up the drains, I go have lunch. I often take a nap. It’s amazing how much oil drains during that second hour. Often it’s close to a quart. The car holds 9.5 quarts.
The following 2 users liked this post by TurboCup87:
4porsh (01-17-2024), cavlino (01-19-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Quaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 42 Posts

As a quick reference I always check the oil level before I change the oil and make sure it is at least in the middle of the range. Then I measure the amount of oil that comes out of the engine and put exactly that much back in. This is done by having empty oil containers saved from the last oil change. Fill up a 5qt container to match what a new container has in it from your drained oil. Then what used oil is left over you fill up another empty 5qt container, mark the level on it, then dump it back into your oil pan. Next pour 1 5qt container in and then measure your clean oil into your container with the mark on it and pour into the engine. You should be right were you were before the change. Start it up and let it warm up and check the oil level. I never have to add more than maybe 1/4 quart to compensate for what may have spilled or was in the oil filter. Done......

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Oil Dipstick reading