Time to take it off the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 04:15 PM
jpw2b
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Time to take it off the track?

Bought in 2014 with 11K miles and track mods already done (LWFW, Cup Clutch, suspension bits, euro buckets, 1/2 cage, guards diff) for $69. Last year suspension work with KWV3 and engine out service (all rubber and plastic bits).

now with 46k miles. About 6 track days/year and drive to work 3-4 days/month on average.

A couple of the other guys with 996 GT threes who have been on track have now been putting them away and getting other cars for their track days. Hate to do it, but getting a bit nervous about continuing to drive on the track.

They have suggested keeping it for rare use, keep it safe, get something else like a 2014 Cayman S to play around on the track and drive more daily..

Hopefully flames this question will be at minimum, really curious to hear what y’all think
Old 02-10-2024, 04:56 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll start. I love my GT3. I street drive it regularly and track it regularly. I don't enjoy it nearly as much on the street as I do on the track. It's fine on the street, but it comes alive on the track. If I didn't track at all, I doubt I'd have kept it long term. To me, it's a physical mechanical thing, so what is the point in not using it to the fullest of ones comfort level? I can't take it with me and why save the best it has to offer for someone else? I do have a dedicated race car as well, so when I do track it I am making a conscious decision to do so. I'm in the DMV and within 4 hours of a few really great tracks. Each time I drive any of these tracks in the GT3 I feel the difference in the motorsports focused platform compared to my converted race car, which is a 99 996 C2. That said, I am cognizant of the rising values of the GT3 and carefully choose which tracks, events, and clubs where I run the GT3. I dial it back a bit and I get track insurance. All that said, it's a personal decision and based on ones own risk tolerance. I just know that I, personally, wouldn't be happy only puttering around in the streets with the 996 GT3 especially as I have a few track mods (coilovers, upgraded diff, GT3 seats, etc...). Maybe if it was purely stock? Maybe. But again, to me, there is something magical about playing with this car on the limit (my limit as it's limits exceed my capabilities) at the track and there is no way I could come close to that on the street. Just one man's opinion.

-KJ
The following 2 users liked this post by KJinDC:
4porsh (02-11-2024), Patrick3000 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 06:54 PM
philrob1
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I haven't tracked my GT3, but I fully intend to. As a road car (on UK roads, at least), I find it severely compromised and in some instances, pointless. You can't really enjoy that engine without driving on the aggressive side and that's not a sensible thing to do.

When I do track mine, it will be fully insured for each event - and that's just a cost associated with playing this game. The tracks I do will be limited also; sticking to GP tracks and those with big run-off - IE - NOT Nurburgring.

I've had M3s of various generations, and a Noble - everytime I was on track with these it's because at that point in time, I couldn't afford a GT3.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:22 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Cayman is a great car and more modern. It just drives different, so you might want to see if someone can let you take it for a spin. They are a great car for autocross, too.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:23 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 204 Posts

I have enjoyed tracking both my GT3 and cup over the past few years since owning both. Perhaps it’s silly to use a valuable road car on the track when the cup is so much better in every way, safer and less financial set back if you have a ***** up. However, I’ve usually throughly enjoyed my days on track with my road car and it’s the better car to use when tracking with buddies as the cup car is a bit anti-social (requires a bit more fiddling, on/off trailer etc). Having said all of that, I’ve made a conscious decision to no longer track my road car due to witnessing some large incidents lately and seeing the eye watering repair costs of these cars. It’s disappointing because as the OP said, these cars really need to be used on track to experience them to their full potential and you don’t come close with road use alone.

Those who are purchasing insurance…what are you paying and what is covered?
The following users liked this post:
changster123 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:49 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd keep tracking it. You have access to a few nice tracks where you live and the 996 GT3 is such a great track car. Just be a little cautious and stay away from the yahoos.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:14 AM
jpw2b
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
I'd keep tracking it. You have access to a few nice tracks where you live and the 996 GT3 is such a great track car. Just be a little cautious and stay away from the yahoos.
Thanks all for the comments.
I do have a blast both on the street and track with it. Thinking I’ll keep enjoying and, as stated- do
my best to avoid the yahoos!
The following users liked this post:
Marv (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:44 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by jpw2b
Bought in 2014 with 11K miles and track mods already done (LWFW, Cup Clutch, suspension bits, euro buckets, 1/2 cage, guards diff) for $69. Last year suspension work with KWV3 and engine out service (all rubber and plastic bits).

now with 46k miles. About 6 track days/year and drive to work 3-4 days/month on average.

A couple of the other guys with 996 GT threes who have been on track have now been putting them away and getting other cars for their track days. Hate to do it, but getting a bit nervous about continuing to drive on the track.

They have suggested keeping it for rare use, keep it safe, get something else like a 2014 Cayman S to play around on the track and drive more daily..

Hopefully flames this question will be at minimum, really curious to hear what y’all think
He11 no, drive it like you stole it on the track until the day you or the 6/3 can’t

Originally Posted by spiller
I have enjoyed tracking both my GT3 and cup over the past few years since owning both. Perhaps it’s silly to use a valuable road car on the track when the cup is so much better in every way, safer and less financial set back if you have a ***** up. However, I’ve usually throughly enjoyed my days on track with my road car and it’s the better car to use when tracking with buddies as the cup car is a bit anti-social (requires a bit more fiddling, on/off trailer etc). Having said all of that, I’ve made a conscious decision to no longer track my road car due to witnessing some large incidents lately and seeing the eye watering repair costs of these cars. It’s disappointing because as the OP said, these cars really need to be used on track to experience them to their full potential and you don’t come close with road use alone.

Those who are purchasing insurance…what are you paying and what is covered?
Shop around as rates change event to event. Here it runs about $700 for three days of coverage. $100k of insurance with a 10% deductible. That covers everything on track except a mechanical.

Plenty of insurance threads on RL if you search

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Impossible to stay away from the yahoos, they will find you
Old 02-13-2024, 12:14 AM
vtec_
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

The GT3 is meant to be tracked.

Can you afford to bin it?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:03 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

I still very much enjoy driving mine on the track. That said, I have a dedicated race/track car (NC MX-5 cup clone) that see's the majority of my track miles. It is not much slower than the gt3. 8 Seconds around COTA and only 2 around my slower local track.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:29 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Original owner here. Have had my 996.2 since 2004 and started tracking immediately. Rarely drove it on streets, but did drive it back and forth from multiple track venues on East Coast. Initially stock except for seats, roller, harnesses and brakes. Upgraded suspension over time and continued tracking car until 2016 when I got a GT4. Shared track duties then but probably 75% GT4. Got new 991.2 GT3 in 2018 that took over track duty and 996 was rarely used. Sold GT4 in 2020 and then moved on from 991.2 last year. I now track 996.2 exclusively with track suspension. Only drive back and forth from Lime Rock. Other tracks car gets transported.

996.2 is a phenomenal track car. It comes alive like none other. I plan on tracking it for next few years until my new 992.2 comes in.

I would continue to track it occasionally as otherwise not sure what else that car is good for. :-)

chet
The following 2 users liked this post by CME:
KJinDC (02-13-2024), mistermct (02-15-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 10:37 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by CME
Original owner here. Have had my 996.2 since 2004 and started tracking immediately. Rarely drove it on streets, but did drive it back and forth from multiple track venues on East Coast. Initially stock except for seats, roller, harnesses and brakes. Upgraded suspension over time and continued tracking car until 2016 when I got a GT4. Shared track duties then but probably 75% GT4. Got new 991.2 GT3 in 2018 that took over track duty and 996 was rarely used. Sold GT4 in 2020 and then moved on from 991.2 last year. I now track 996.2 exclusively with track suspension. Only drive back and forth from Lime Rock. Other tracks car gets transported.

996.2 is a phenomenal track car. It comes alive like none other. I plan on tracking it for next few years until my new 992.2 comes in.

I would continue to track it occasionally as otherwise not sure what else that car is good for. :-)

chet
Curious to know what your driving impressions are between the 6GT3, GT4, and 991 GT3?
Old 02-13-2024, 10:51 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Curious to know what your driving impressions are between the 6GT3, GT4, and 991 GT3?
The 991.2 GT3 is an unbelievable track car. I ran stock suspension but with camber plates. Pretty aggressive alignment and that car was a rocket ship. 996 GT3 and GT4 are not in same league as that car. I am waiting for new car but the whole buying process from Porsche is so screwed up now.

The GT4 and 996 were on par with lap times but the GT4 felt so much more refined. The 996 is a raw track car and very special. The modern cars just don't match that feel and go kart type feel. GT4 is a Cayman with bodywork and a GT3 front suspension. The new RS must be a great drive.

Gratuitous pic of the three !!
chet

Last edited by CME; 02-13-2024 at 11:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CME:
mistermct (02-15-2024), multi21 (02-13-2024), rodneyr (03-03-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 05:30 PM
PaleBlueDot
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the thing - got offered a 4RS allocation at MSRP a few months ago and (obviously) took it. Also own a 996 GT3 since thirteen years and absolutely love this car.
Now the tough decision - do I sell 996 GT3 to get into the 4RS or will I regret big time?

Old 02-13-2024, 05:55 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

Congratulations on your 4RS. It is a fabulous car. I love mine.

I also have a 6/3 and strongly suggest you find a way to keep both.

The cars are both raw but in different ways. You will definitely regret selling your 996 GT3.

BTW: Also have a 991.2 GT3 Touring and it’s my favorite of the three by the slimiest of margins because it’s so versatile.

Enjoy your new ride in good health 😁

Originally Posted by PaleBlueDot
Here is the thing - got offered a 4RS allocation at MSRP a few months ago and (obviously) took it. Also own a 996 GT3 since thirteen years and absolutely love this car.
Now the tough decision - do I sell 996 GT3 to get into the 4RS or will I regret big time?

Quick Reply: Time to take it off the track?