Sponsored by:

240 miles of twisties!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:58 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

with my GT3. I am slowly, safely and effectively feeling out the car.
a.) Track driving relates more to street driving than street driving relates to track driving.

b.) The likleyhood of an accident is higher on public roads.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:33 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
b.) The likleyhood of an accident is higher on public roads.
I can appreciate that and agree to some extent (it's all relative) Mark...some of our North East Coast tracks do have walls. I will be on the track next Spring. The season is winding down and I am just not prepared this year. Believe me, my first day out, I will have video evidence so that you more experienced guys can have a chuckle watching it. I am underestimating my abilities however and being humble. I think I will fair pretty well my first time out...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:00 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
Thanks for the encouragement Larry. I think I am more afraid of the addictive qualities of tracking a car like this then the possibility of damaging the vehical itself...

Next year (not to far away) I will attend my first event. I think I am just about ready...
If you do the 3 day Riesentoter event at the Glen in July (it's awesome), I would be happy to instruct you. Just request me.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-25-2004, 12:06 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
If you do the 3 day Riesentoter event at the Glen in July (it's awesome), I would be happy to instruct you. Just request me.
Well that sounds like a plan!!! What could be better than experienced instruction from one who owns and drives a GT3. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:49 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try it 10/9!

Rockit -

There is an event for NY Metro PCA coming up at Pocono on 10/9 I believe.. It is also their "Novice" day which allows you to come down, get an instructor and try it out. Sounds like a great way to get your feet wet..

I too was nervous at first about an accident, but the car is only as fast as you want to push it.. And when you do push it, you will be surprised at how much this car can take! I did my 3rd DE a few days ago at Limerock in the GREEN group of course, and my instructor was blown away by how well the car handled, especially in stock form. All I can tell you is I am personally sorry that I did not get involved and try this out sooner..

Anyway, all 3 of my instructors from the DE's I did have recommended I goto Yellow, so that makes me feel like I am getting better and I am having alot of fun doing it. I also would like to mention that the people I have met are so nice and friendly, and all willing to help you learn and give advice. It really is a great environment and an enthusiast like yourself would appreciate that even more than me!

I will be at Pocono on 10/9 and it's only my 4th event - come and give it a try.. We all promise you wont regret it..

I am also ready to do some safety mods to my car (roll bar, harness, seats, etc).. Can you give a brother some advice on the DIY end of it?? You know how impressed I am by your work and detailed analysis..

ADAM
Old 09-25-2004, 05:26 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AutoX.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:24 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Chris, if you are worried about hurting your GT3, go buy a $10-12,000 POS you can flog around and not worry about. You can call it your "practice car". When you feel comfortable enough and REALLY know the line and REALLY know what you are doing, sell it and bring the GT3 to the track.
As far as being "humble" and underestimating your own abilities, don't get too cocky...a stock 914-4 with an experienced driver will smoke you at the track.

Quick Reply: 240 miles of twisties!!!