Sponsored by:

Straight pipe instead of standard Catalytic set

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Straight pipe instead of standard Catalytic set

Hi everybody, I already have on my '04 GT3 the Cargraphic's backbox! Now I would like to change my catalytic set but I'm not sure if I will go for the Steel Sport catalytic set (200 cell, OBD2 Compliant) or for the straight testpipe...

Does somebody know the advantages (or disadvantages) of the testpipe? From what i know the original catalytic system have 2 Lambda sonds each side, 1 before the catalytic system and the other one after...this could be a problem!

Any experiences about that will be intresting!

Cheers
Max T.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the full Cargraphic R-System on my car.Obviously if you do away with the catalysts your car will fail an emissions test.I dont know if this is a problem or not.I would also imagine this could cause all sort of problems with the engine management system.What is the purpose of removing the cats?

Shane
Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max, if you can't connect both O2 sensors on each cat, the CEL will come on. If it doesn't bother you, maybe there are no ill effects. With less back pressure due to a straight pipe, you may lose some low end torque. An ECU re-map optimization would be required to gain any negligible performance advantages with straight pipes vs a 100 cell OBD2 compliant cat, imho...
PS: I do enjoy watching your driving prowess on the video's you have taken around the "Ring" and Monza. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:06 PM
KompressorKev
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow sorry for the request and not answering the question but could you please post some vids of your car MaxT and Shane Oneill? i would, and i'm sure lots others, would really appreaciate to hear how these sound. if you have time, thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:00 PM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Rockitman, I'm glad that you enjoyed my videos from the Ring and Monza (more videos to come from Spa and Salzburgring!) because I appreciated so much your DIY gallery and I would like to thank you for the great help you gave me when I removed the center consolle!!

KompressorKev you can find a video clip of my car here: http://www.macio.org/Cargraphic.wmv
BTW I have to ask royalties to Cargraphic...they put as sample on their website the soundclip taken from my video!! Cargraphic Website Hear at the .mp3 in the download section of this page...

Cheers, Max T.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it hard to believe that teh Cargraphic complete system will give 20HP, or that ANY aftermarket exhaust will for that matter. I have to say it does sounds great.

Chris - how does the sound compare with the Europipe? Have you or anyone been able to DYNO your cars again POST mods?

Adam
Old 10-06-2004, 08:06 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kompressorkev,
At the moment I have the quietest backbox on my car.I tried straight through pipes which do away with the backboxs completely,but while the sound was brilliant and could literally be heard for miles around,for day to day life not really feasible.Cargraphic do a range of boxes that offer more noise I am having some fitted in a few weeks time and will post something then.
Shane
Old 10-06-2004, 05:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADOGNY
Chris - how does the sound compare with the Europipe? Have you or anyone been able to DYNO your cars again POST mods?

Adam
I may by the end of the month...trying to work it in my schedule for the trip. +12hp is their claim and that is what I expect. For that alone, it's not worth it. For sound and throttle response, it is, imho...

Quick Reply: Straight pipe instead of standard Catalytic set