Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
If the dampers are valved in tune with the shocks even very stiff springs will yield a compliant ride quality.

Dampers in tune with the shocks?

Huh?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DJ
Dampers in tune with the shocks?

Huh?
DERRRR, it was before my first cup of coffee. Dampers valved properly for the springs.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

DERRRR, it was before my first cup of coffee. Dampers valved properly for the springs.
Can you explain how you do that, Bob?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While the GT3 does have stiffer springs, I think Porsche was trying for a stiffer ride and therefore they under dampened the shocks. If the dampers are valved properly, even very stiff springs will yield a compliant ride quality. I have installed much higher spring rates with Motons, and the ride was smoother than the GT3 (and way better on the track).
While you're explaining stuff for DJ, how about commenting on the above because my experiences are a little different. I upgraded to 23 & 31mm torsion bars in my old Carrera track car with new Bilstein Sport Shocks. It handled well and rode pretty good considering. Then I sent the shocks to Bilstein to have them revalved to match the Torsion Bars & Sway Bar sizes. It rode like an empty tractor-trailer, crashing into and bouncing over every bump...but boy did it corner; flat and totally stable.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW my experience has been that shocks affect ride more than springs i.e., a really stiff set of shocks will rattle your teeth in spite of softer springs on a bumpy surface. Perhaps a more compliant shock will ride better in spite of stiff springs?

Rgds,
Old 03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That was my experience, Bob. The really stiff torsion bars rode fine with the street tuned Sport Shocks. It was only when Bilstein valved the shocks even stiffer that the ride turned buckboard.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:47 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

I just came back from my first track day (California Speedway) with the Moton CS with stiffer Eibach springs and helpers. The car was just freaking fantastic. I ran one from soft in the rain and then added stiffness in the dry. I also drove the 240 miles from Las Vegas to LA on the freeway and the ride was great. Over large bumps, it is more harsh, but there is absolutely no bump steer. No complaints.

I have only run 2 track days, so I have not fine tuned it yet as Robin has, but I should be dialed in after the 48 hours of Las Vegas event with input from Kent Moore of Premier Sportscar Service and Craig Stanton who helped develop this package for Moton for the GT3! Yes, the development work has already been done. I've got the result. Those of you who are coming to the event can try it and see what you think. I am not experienced enough to preach about this stuff to others, but all I know is that my car felt great. It was point and shoot and under the heavy breaking at CS, the platform was settled. NO Issues.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the dampers are valved properly, even very stiff springs will yield a compliant ride quality. I have installed much higher spring rates with Motons, and the ride was smoother than the GT3 (and way better on the track). I personally have Moton CSs in my car with 800/1200 springs, and on 90% of the streets I have less jarring than the GT3.
Viper Bob, Exactly what I've found with the CS and 530/680, and the handling is unreal. The CS will also make an improvement with the stock springs. I'd be interested in your findings when you dyno the shocks, please publish them.

Robin
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was with Craig Statton last week at WSIR and he confirmed that he did devolpment work on the Motons. In fact that is why I am thinking of getting them. Group buy anyone? I also hear good things about Kent Moore. You are lucky to have him in Vegas.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:20 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Steve Weiner at Rennsport systems is a board sponsor, and very, very knowledgeable in their application.

Rennsport

Robin
Old 03-21-2005, 10:35 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have insight on the Titanium shocks that Meridian Automotive is marketing? They might just be for Ferrari 360s. Less unsprung weight I suppose.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

viper Bob: A number of folks up here in the Pacific North Wet agree on the dampening. It seems that the majority of the GT3 owners are moving to Motons.

Robyn: I did not see you Saturday at Bremerton. If you get a chance stop by Barrier. Black CGT!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Wink

Damn, that's mine, why haven't they called me ? I'll go pick it up tomorrow.

I skipped, I had family in town. Planned to do both Sat and Sun, but ....

Robin
Old 03-21-2005, 11:41 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I was with Craig Statton last week at WSIR and he confirmed that he did devolpment work on the Motons. In fact that is why I am thinking of getting them. Group buy anyone?
That sounds really interesting, tell me more, which shocks are they exactly, the 7 way ones or the simple ones? Are Moton better that Manthey or JRZ etc?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:55 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

The 7 way. I am not sure about JRZ, but I believe that they were a spin off of Bilstein and Moton are a spin off of them. Can anyone chime in on cost and performance between the JRZ, Manthey and Moton?

Quick Reply: Suspension on GT3