Sponsored by:

Suspension on GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:08 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension on GT3

What do you think of the ride? I was in one the other day and I thought it was comfortable. Do most of you keep it the same of do you adjust it?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey moneybiz, long time no see, going to the NY auto show?

the GT3 suspension, when aligned properly, is fairly stiff, but not too stiff, for daily use on normal roads.

the only reason to upgrade, or adjust it, is to get better performance on the track, you can of course, adjust the swaybars
Old 03-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
the GT3 suspension, when aligned properly, is fairly stiff, but not too stiff, for daily use on normal roads.
Tom, does the stiffness change with the alignment?
Old 03-17-2005, 06:40 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone tried the Motons? I hear good things about them. They are supposed to be more compliant on the street, plus worth a couple of seconds at the track. $6K installed.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Moogle
Race Car

hey now! i was just giving him an assesment of the car's suspension during daily use on normal roads.

hes trying to decide between a GT3 and a 997S

Codered, as for motons, they are probably a better deal than going with the factory RS suspension, especially if you don't care about all OEM stuff/etc.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:43 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get rid of my m3 to get a gt3 and hopefully the car will still be there. If that falls through I will do the S. I went for a ride in the gt3 so I could see how the ride feels because a salesman at Paul Miller told me that a lot of his customers were returning them because it was too harsh. If you PM me the day you'll be there I'll try to make it. I want to meet a Chinese guy who retired at birth.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3 isn't that harsh at all. I really like the car just the way it is. If you are into performance I would stick with the 3, but if it is for clients etc. the 997 isn't a bad choice by any means.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
I went for a ride in the gt3 so I could see how the ride feels because a salesman at Paul Miller told me that a lot of his customers were returning them because it was too harsh.
FWIW, a ride is not enough to make such an assessment. You need some time behind the wheel. I don't know where in NY you are, but I have heard from many that roads are quite bad in NY city. Most people there even considered the factory sport suspension (M030) on the Carrera too stiff.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

I think how "stiff" a ride is, is more a function of the person than the spring rate. Go drive the car and see what you think. It amazes me that people return GT3s for being to harsh. I know they exist, but personally, if I had a GT3 my goal after getting used to driving the thing on a track would be to get all the rubber out of the suspension and go to spring rates around 600/ 800 f/r. And I'd still use the car for long weekend trips on the street.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Yargk
It amazes me that people return GT3s for being to harsh. I know they exist...
Well, you know there are many people who buy these cars for the wrong reasons. They are the ones who return them. Remember this 7-page thread?

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/92500-gt3-traded-in-after-1-week.html
Old 03-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Mikey
Racer

The stock GT3 suspension offers the perfect compromise between handling/ comfort / ride height for a street racer/semi-dedicated race car. My M3 E46 with 550lbs springs and Ground Control sways was considerably harsher ride.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

My GT3 is delightful. I dont find the ride bad at all (500 miles in). My 993 TT was set up with PSS9's with TRG sways.
the setting for the street was 3 in front 4 rear. The ride is similar. the TT with track settings
at 1/2 on the PSS9's was more harsh that the GT3. I have a loop I do that goes into San bernadino county and part of the road is horrible(toward Death Valley). The GT3's ride is harsh, noisy, and darty. But the road absolutely sucks. the other parts of the loop are just so smooth with the GT3. If you think the GT3 ride is not for you
then maybe a S class Mercedes might be a better choice. I think the GT3 is a bit smoother than my TT, I am guessing this is the longer wheelbase. ALso from my avatar you can see the
driveway is sloped. I come in at an angle and no problem with scraping
I personally think, and this is just my opinion, that all the harshness crap is over stated.
But I am one happy camper right now and alittle bit biased.
Viken when did I post TT vs GT3 the first time? a year ago?

This is a great car for me. I am just thankful that there are so many people who dont like em and dumping them for people like me to ****** em up!!
Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,057 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
hey now! i was just giving him an assesment of the car's suspension during daily use on normal roads.

hes trying to decide between a GT3 and a 997S

Codered, as for motons, they are probably a better deal than going with the factory RS suspension, especially if you don't care about all OEM stuff/etc.

Just what I was choosing between. The S is a fine car. Ride is a bit more cush. But it firms up nicely when pushed. Its quick also and sounds good....but just not the same as the GT3. IMO the 997 is a better looking platform than the 996....But the GT3 is special.....And I have been very suprised at how well it is on the street. Not as harsh as I expected. No worse than my former car with M030.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

cold red, i had moton cs for 18 months now. they aren't all that great on street. ride can be more compliant than oem depending on the chosen spring rate, but they are noisier than stock. you WILL hear it. but on track, it's much better than stock even for novices like myself.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 AM
SPR
Drifting

BTW to be fair the gt3 comes relatively stiffly set sway bar wise and if you soften it up it makes a huge difference for daily driving, and IS faster on anywhere but a perfect track surface

Quick Reply: Suspension on GT3