dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sequential shifter 4 sale

yup it is.
includes a set of already modified cables for easy install.
$2,200 USD

Old 06-25-2005, 06:08 AM
carerracup
Cruisin'

How is it to drive?
Old 06-25-2005, 12:28 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carerracup
How is it to drive?
Different than the stock H pattern (obviously) as to up-shift you pull back (about 2.5 inches of handle travel), then return to the center position. The 'shift engages at the end of the pull back motion.
To downshift, you push forward the same nominal 2.5 inches of handle travel.
You still use the clutch.

It 'drives' just fine, although it took me a few times in the car to 'instictively' make the right moves and not have to 'think' about not making the H pattern movements.

The few local track guys that drove the car around on the street after it was installed all loved it. It is a serious piece of equipment.

I primarily got it because nobody has it... but now that the car is to be sold, it was best to remove it. I had it in for about 1,500 miles. It lists for around $4 grand, but is deeeply discounted to sell.

Last edited by dpblessing; 06-25-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Ken T
Advanced

Funny. I was just going through old Excellence issues today and saw this. Look for February 2004 (#126). They have a writeup on how it works and their opinions.

Ken
Old 06-25-2005, 09:56 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Funny, the OEM (cup/RSR) one from Porsche cost $45,000. Must be different. I imagine this is not a sequential shifter, just a shifter that does not use the typical H pattern?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98
I imagine this is not a sequential shifter, just a shifter that does not use the typical H pattern?
So, what other shifting options remain, then?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:08 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vegasgolf98
Funny, the OEM (cup/RSR) one from Porsche cost $45,000. Must be different. I imagine this is not a sequential shifter, just a shifter that does not use the typical H pattern?
a sequential gearbox / transmission is different from a sequantial shifter.
the 'shifter' works as stated in my post above.
the gearbox does the same thing (as I understand it) but also needs no clutch.
that may explain the $41 k difference you quoted.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:11 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Radar
So, what other shifting options remain, then?
I am not sure I follow...
What 'options' exist to start with 'shifting'?
The sequential only allows changing one gear at a time (in sequence) up or down. 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1-2-3-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-3-4-5...
The stock H pattern allows you to go from any gear to any other gear in any order you wish. 1-5-3-6-1-4-2-5-1-6, etc.
Is that what you mean?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally Posted by dpblessing
I am not sure I follow...
What 'options' exist to start with 'shifting'?
The sequential only allows changing one gear at a time (in sequence) up or down. 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1-2-3-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-3-4-5...
The stock H pattern allows you to go from any gear to any other gear in any order you wish. 1-5-3-6-1-4-2-5-1-6, etc.
Is that what you mean?
Well my question was directed to vegas because he doubted both sequential shifting and H pattern shifting. I was curious as to what else is there?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Radar
Well my question was directed to vegas because he doubted both sequential shifting and H pattern shifting. I was curious as to what else is there?
ahh...
'nevermind'
Old 06-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

More feedback please on how it behaves on the track and aggressive driving if you have had the chance to test it, unlike the clutchless RUF system, the only advantage I can think of is the protection against a misshift?
I might be going to a GT3 gearbox in my 993 therefore the cable shifter will be there.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 12:06 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Jean, I have not driven it in a manner that I would call aggressive, unless you mean moving the shift handle rapidly and multiple times when down shifting through gears? Works just fine. Considering what it is made of and how it seems to be made, I imagine you could bang on it a very long time before it showed any signs of abuse.

It certainly takes less effort / shift handle travel & therefore less time to accomplish each shift (unless you are trying to skip a few gears then it may be no faster as you must crank through the gears in sequence and cannot skip around).

The DE instructor that drove on the track loved it and had no problems making the gearbox to whatever he wanted, including feeling / finding 'neutral' in the very short shifter handle travel to RPM match on down shfits, etc.

It certainly should be solid protection against a mis-shift, although the guys at FVD apparently installed one of these years ago and said it popped out of gear a few times and they pulled it out. I have had no such problem and frankly looking at what the device is and understanding what all the mechanics tell me about the transmission, we see no way that the sequential shifter can impact the transmission poping out of gear unless it is not installed correctly, or the driver did not in fact fully engage the gear when pulling back or pushing forward on the handle... (I imagine the problem FVD saw was caused by driver error, as there are different points of resistance felt as the handle travels and the final actual gear engagement (last half inch to inch or so of travel) takes more effort than any other place in the range of travel so the driver probably 'thought' he was in gear but was not... kinda like not moving the standard H pattern shifter all the way into gear and saying it 'poped out'... It is also possible that earlier variants were a bit different than this version..

Also considering the hand travel lengths involved between the stock and this, this is faster as it is requires than half the handle travel distance to accomplish a typical up or down shift.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Great feedback, thanks. I hope (not for you!) that it stays around for a bit, until I see which way I am going with the gearbox. I am guessing there is no way to adapt it to a shaft driven box.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How is Reverse engaged? Downshift from 1st?
Old 06-26-2005, 09:11 PM
dpblessing
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
How is Reverse engaged? Downshift from 1st?
yes, sort of... when in first, you pull up on the ring (below the ****) and push forward.

Quick Reply: sequential shifter 4 sale