Sponsored by:

With all this Z06 talk I'll throw this in:

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:10 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With all this Z06 talk I'll throw this in:

1. Did anyone read the current C&D, stating that while a beast, it is evil handling and makes the Viper benign? (I'm overstating a bit)

2. The German driver (can't remember who it was) who set the 'ring time was quoted as saying that he wanted to get the hell out of car, did not want to do any more laps. I wonder if it's b/c its a bitch to drive?

3. Check this video. Wreck While one wreck doesn't mean anything, 500 hp + twitchy rear end will surely equal carnage.

Could it be, 911's are becoming pussycats to drive and the Z06 opposite?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't get that from the CD article at all.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't like the idea of 500 hp going to the rear without 60% of your weight on the rear.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That much torque and an obsolete rear suspension are a bad combination.

The Nuerburgring driver that set the record lap (Jan Magnussen) could only beat the GT3RS by 0.1 seconds. The Manthey GT3 (not an RS) beat both at the same track by 2 seconds.

If anyone wants straight line acceleration, there are plenty of Mustang and Camaros running 10s on the 1/4 mile at my local drag strip, and they're cheap.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:19 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by BrendanC
I didn't get that from the CD article at all.
Current issue, December 2005, Car And Driver "Shock and Awe". Few quotes:

Highs: ferocious V8
Lows: A chassis that doesn't know how to communicate and snap-oversteers at will

gave us all disconnected, spooky feelings

any kind of bump or lump. . . nearly instantaneous outward snap of the tail

It was so sensitve to bumps that the vette uncovered lumps in pavement we never know were there-even though we've done hundreds of laps at Grattan in stiffly sprung race cars

had we shut off the stability control, we probably would have stuffed it

---------------------

Perhaps my reading comprehension has gone to schit in my old age.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:03 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

You know Jeff, sitting here at my office I did think you were wrong. I didn't have my 20 years of mags to go back and look through to find the volume. I'll say now that I was wrong, and you have proven your point about the December article.

Have you read the most recent one? I do believe there was a subsequent article. October 2005 is what I am talking about.

"Eventually, we got comfortable. As benign as the Corvette handles, the chassis still moves around and takes some getting used to. Some cars, like the Porsche 911, provide an instant confident feeling that the Z06 does not impart. It's tough to put your finger on exactly why that is. The Z06 corners flatly, and it breaks away in a smooth, easily controlled manner, but it takes some time to get confident with its behavior. The steering is a tad numb, even though we didn't detect any free play or slop."

They seem to have softened thier take. But not by much.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Advertising dollars?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 PM
fahren affair
Pro

2. The German driver (can't remember who it was) who set the 'ring time was quoted as saying that he wanted to get the hell out of car, did not want to do any more laps. I wonder if it's b/c its a bitch to drive?

are you talking about Jan Magnussen?
look here for the story:

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=939436

the Z was probably on F1s and the rs on corsas or cups (advantage porsche)
Old 11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
frayed
Race Car

Brendan, no, I'm talking about December 2005. The most recent issue. Arrived yesterday in the mail. No need to sort through issues, it's C&D's latest words on the Z06 for whatever they are worth (I read the major mags but mainly for entertainment value).

Fahren, yeah, that's the article. At the time I read the translation I was a bit puzzled by this comment:

"At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap inbetween for both mine and the car´s sake. I couldn´t have driven one single lap more. I wouldn´t have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed", Jan finishes."

I'm wondering about a possible common theme b/t the newest C&D article and Jan's comments. . . that's all.

-------------------------------

Here's what I've noticed over the years about new cars and mags. Mags wax on and on and on about new models. Then, after release, you start hearing the negatives about the car. Same old cycle. Hype followed by reality.

I got caught in the hype in 99 and bought a Honda S2000. Despite a sharp chassis, it's a snap oversteering PITA to drive with no torque. I also got caught in the hype about the Elise. Almost bought one. With a 2k deposit down, I realized that I had to drive a demo before committing. I drove the demo. Two one hour test drives and was underwhelmed and passed on the car. Now, a year later, it gets its azz whooped by a Boxster on a track with pro drivers. Sad for the Elise, as its a purpose built track weekend special while the Boxster is, well, a boxster.

These days, we have the Cayman and the Z06 receiving heaps of praise.

What I'm wondering. . .is it really as good as the hype?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Been a long day. DECEMBER, as in NOW C/D. Gotta go get that. Subscription is in limbo for some reason.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only magazine review that really matters is EVO.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:06 AM
tlark
Drifting

Don't pay much attention to the mags, I got so tired of hearing how the M3 was the greatest sedan of all time it was like why bother reading comparisons b/c I knew what they would pick. Know one considered all the previous track time the writers got in these cars as a model of comparison to a differing makes they were testing, meaning what car did they have the most experience in.....

The Magnussen comments got my attention however but I would add his car was prob. set-up on rails for that time, in which one would need a rather large set of nuts to drive at that place period. (was that comment about the Blue Devil ?) I don't remember.

I suspect more than a few new ZO6's will get rolled up into *****, nothing new there, thats happened to a few model specific Porsche's has it not. The one thing I look at is what the past model was able to do and I thought the C5 Z06 in good hands was and is a pretty good. I have know reason to doubt the C6 will work itself out on the track and we shall see, until then none of us knows do we, but it sure is fun to discuss.

I for one appreciate all comers and welcome them, in the end we all win. You guys get new GT3's and I get one of your 996GT3's with all the goodies installed for the track.

Last edited by tlark; 11-04-2005 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
The only magazine review that really matters is EVO.
Yep, they consistently have good quality articles written by people who can actually WRITE.

Comparing Evo and (even Car) to the average 'merican mags like C&D is like comparing WSJ to a high school newspaper.

With regards to the Z06, I actually did some calculation, and did you know that after 3 years and 45K miles (15K annual), the Z06 residual is less than 30K? The monthly lease on that thing is over $1200!!!

That is so far and above what should be legal to charge for an 'merican car. Heck, a GT3 can be had for only a few hundred bucks more, like $1400, and its MSRP is 40K more.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 AM
bora
Racer

Funny you would mention this. I think the GT3 is twitchy as hell (and yes I had it aligned by Devek). I had all three generation M3s, I raced the first generation M3. And compared to the M3s, the GT3 is pure evil in a nice sort of way.

Originally Posted by frayed
1. Did anyone read the current C&D, stating that while a beast, it is evil handling and makes the Viper benign? (I'm overstating a bit)

3. Check this video. Wreck While one wreck doesn't mean anything, 500 hp + twitchy rear end will surely equal carnage.

Could it be, 911's are becoming pussycats to drive and the Z06 opposite?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:00 AM
frayed
Race Car

Huh, I found the GT3 to be a pussycat on the track, but a PITA at times on the street b/c it wants to pick my line.

Quick Reply: With all this Z06 talk I'll throw this in: