What do you guys think about this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:52 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
13hr at VIR Results

Check out these results to see that it doesn't take a fast, high horsepower car to win. The overall winning car had less than $10K invested in it.
amazing. I think when I am ready to explore beyond the DE world (racing), I will buy something used and cheap, strip it and go from there. Totaling or damaging my GT3 is just too expensive for me now...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:59 PM
emmros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
My guess is, ...he found an exotic car dealership and decided to race against the parked cars out there.
LOL....
Old 12-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Having autocrossed with the SCCA for 5 years in both South Florida & SoCal, I will say that Civics do VERY well in autocrossing. So, perhaps he picked up an '87 Civic and put some coilovers on. There was an article that I read where they rated this car ('87 civic) as the best autocrossing car at the time (early '90s).
Old 12-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Rolo,

At one point I owned an Auto X prepared Honda del Sol (Civic cousin) and my current GT3 at the same time and would bring both cars to Auto X and I would be faster in the Honda so ended up leaving the GT3 for trackdays and used the Honda for Auto X. The Honda would not be close to the GT3 on the track though.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:36 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ah, the question becomes, can we control the driver variable and do a realistic test with the mentioned vehicles?

The GT3 is the superior car in everyway (but not a parking lot pylon chaser), I'd bet money the Germans would freak if they found their specially developed street/track cars were being used to chase cones for three, 25second sessions in a parking lot. btw, I'd rather be in a GT3 in the event of slipping on someone else's oil at 90mph in a turn.

At autocross, you spend more time idling than running, a GT3 on race gas will foul it's plugs before it even gets its opportunity to run.

Now to further discuss, a shifter kart would crush the civic, and for 1/2 the price of a civic tricked out; it doesn't make it fair comparison though.

And for off the wall NBA analogy:
Steve Nash can run and dribble around fast, but Jason Richardson will dunk on him and block better to earn the higher points scored.

This Honda bragger probably thinks it's cool to drag race front wheel drives too.

oh well,
Austin

DEVEK
Old 12-22-2005, 11:24 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said Austin. Gordon
Old 12-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I think all that needs to be said about autocrossing a GT3 vs. Civic has been said. My father used to AX a 993 and even won his Central Florida Championship in it, but more often than not, Neons ACR and prepped Civics would make faster times.

Even for certain tracks (like the 1.5 mile road course we have here in Panama), smaller displacement cars can give some headaches to some cars. I have seen an ex Tri Point Mazda step on the heels of a heavily prepped Z06. I have also seen ex Realtime Racing Integras make quicker times on the same track than 3.6 motors in RSR replicas with slicks. There is something to be said about weight at the end of the day. Seth should know very well what those pesky Mazdas and Integras can do. We have two of each here in Panama!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:57 PM
fahren affair
Pro

i've been waxed so many times by 'lesser cars' at many different venues - and its not because i'm not quick! - that i stopped worryiing about this issue years ago. it's a kick watching spec miatas, gt350 clones and other cars with live axles and 'old' pushrod v8 run circles around modern p-cars. yeah, there are civics that will run rings around a gt3 at the auto-x, and who cares
Old 12-24-2005, 02:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Honda Civics and its other notables ie Del Sol can be really fast in a road coarse. Had one guy who runs in the Honda Challenge in a Del Sol with a 200 hp typr r motor and he only was a second off my times but then again it was my 3rd time at the track back then and getting use to the GT3's antics(2:05 vs 2:06 with bypass at T-Hill). IMO -it's all driver neway. I've gone faster around Pcars in my GTI but it doesn't mean my car is ne better. Regards. Mike

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this...