Sponsored by:

What do you guys think about this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 622 Posts
Default What do you guys think about this...

Reading another forum. A guy says his friend with a $500 130hp civic with nothing but coilovers and bigger tires, is all the time killing Porsche's, Vette's, Vipers and Ferrari's at Auto X and at several Road courses.

I had to call BS.........thoughts?.....Are there cheap Civics out there to be worried of?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:09 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy says his friend with a $500 130hp civic with nothing but coilovers and bigger tires, is all the time killing Porsche's, Vette's, Vipers and Ferrari's at Auto X and at several Road courses.
Is he saying that this guy is posting fastest time of the day at an SCCA or PCA autocross or track day ?

I can believe that an experienced AutoX'er, in a well set up civic, given the right layout could post better times than several others driving other cars. I've seen a dead stock Ford Focus in the hands of two former National Champions post better times than all kinds of P-Cars at a PCA event. Autocross is funny that way, a good driver will "take his and beat you in yours, and then turn around and take yours and beat you in his".

But to go to an SCCA or PCA event and post fastest time of day in a Civic ? That's probably BS. As far as a track day ? Even less probable.

Robin
Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolo
Reading another forum. A guy says his friend with a $500 130hp civic with nothing but coilovers and bigger tires, is all the time killing Porsche's, Vette's, Vipers and Ferrari's at Auto X and at several Road courses.

I had to call BS.........thoughts?.....Are there cheap Civics out there to be worried of?

My guess is, ...he found an exotic car dealership and decided to race against the parked cars out there.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeeva
My guess is, ...he found an exotic car dealership and decided to race against the parked cars out there.

I'm going to use that one

gtdrei,.....Yea, he's claiming auto x and roadrace course.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to use that one

gtdrei,.....Yea, he's claiming auto x and roadrace course.

O.K, then he carries a bunch of orange pylons and white tape in the trunk too.

P.S: Sherlock Holmes said, "Discard everything that is impossible and what is left, how ever improbable is the truth." My theory is improbable but his claim is impossible.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 PM
LastGT3
Racer

If he did, then:
a. he was a decent and they were terrible drivers;
b. he is excellent and they were terrible on turns;
c. he is bs-ing - more likely as any road course with good driver in their car - will crush a stock civic or modified civic -
We watch this at Mosport 6 times year.
A civic is great if gutted (I would pick a civic hatch si) but they get killed by good p-car drivers at this track at least - ask him to come to Mosport this year and I will post his times & perhaps a video!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes I can believe it. I have seen a couple of civics at Road Atlanta that you really had to watch out for. They weighed about 2300lbs and had an Integra GSR motor in them (about 170fwhp). The cars would constanly make shame of Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, and just about anything else. Of course these cars were driven by guys who had more than a couple of laps around the track too. These same guys in a GT3 would kill the Civic.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Yes I can believe it. I have seen a couple of civics at Road Atlanta that you really had to watch out for. They weighed about 2300lbs and had an Integra GSR motor in them (about 170fwhp). The cars would constanly make shame of Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, and just about anything else. Of course these cars were driven by guys who had more than a couple of laps around the track too. These same guys in a GT3 would kill the Civic.
Was it Driver's ED. ??? If so I guess my car is faster than 996TT, C5 ZO6's , GT3 and GT2's, as I've passed all of them.....driver skill and track familiarity dominates the car in lower groups in a DE.

EDIT: I see that you do say that the same guy's will kill the civic. I bet the same driver in any car will beat any other and the type of car they are driving is irrelevent. I read some where here a student in a 996TT could not keep up with an instructor's BMW with a ~300hp. disadvantage. So, the initial poster is at least misleading.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:09 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Yes they can, especially in autocross. With the right driver and setup. See below results, the top 3 cars are on DOT race rubber, me on MPS2's. Beaten by a C Stock Miata on a tight **** course, shame shame... I'll never live it down.

http://www.ckrscca.org/soloevents/05...50626_raw_.htm
Old 12-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Yes they can, especially in autocross. With the right driver and setup. See below results, the top 3 cars are on DOT race rubber, me on MPS2's. Beaten by a C Stock Miata on a tight **** course, shame shame... I'll never live it down.

http://www.ckrscca.org/soloevents/05...50626_raw_.htm
WOW, I am glad I avoided those autocross events . The race rubber probably could account for the 0.3 sec, but still impressive. You think it's possible on a road course though ?, with average drivers.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Remember, he's claiming a $500 dollar civic with coilovers on it. Thats all...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Remember, he's claiming a $500 dollar civic with coilovers on it. Thats all...
Those couple of civics I am talking about started out as $500 cars too. But yes I civic can outrun our cars on the right autocross course. Remember that weight is our enemy with regards to how well a car handles. While our cars are light they still don't weigh 2300lbs in stock form. A 2300lb car with coilovers can be faster on a tight autoX course than a 3150lb GT3.

Why do you guys think the Elise is as fast as it is with a mini 190hp motor?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amazing when you go to non pca track days and see some of the crap that hits the track, then the next moment you sit back in awe on how quick they really are...
There is something to be said for driving a cheap car on the track knowing if you smash it...the $$$ pain is not so bad. It's got too make you faster. Fear of losing $100k (excluding life and limb) seems to keep my driving more in check (slower).
Old 12-14-2005, 05:47 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Thing is Rolo. He's got nothing to loose, everything to gain, so he runs 10/10ths. You and the drivers of those "other" cars on the other hand... esp. on a road course.

Equal drivers, AutoX, very possible. Remember the first generation 1972 Civic? They were doing it back then!

Equal drivers, road course, absolutely No Way!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
It's amazing when you go to non pca track days and see some of the crap that hits the track, then the next moment you sit back in awe on how quick they really are...
There is something to be said for driving a cheap car on the track knowing if you smash it...the $$$ pain is not so bad. It's got too make you faster. Fear of losing $100k (excluding life and limb) seems to keep my driving more in check (slower).

13hr at VIR Results

Check out these results to see that it doesn't take a fast, high horsepower car to win. The overall winning car had less than $10K invested in it.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this...