Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluish rotor discoloration: failed tech inspection? (pic added)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:52 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bluish rotor discoloration: failed tech inspection? (pic added)

Am I missing something here?

Local Master Tech wants to fail my GT3 on the tech spec due to "bluish discoloration of the front rotors".

I didn't think that the rotors looked any different compared to other sets with track miles on them. Sorry, no pics.

The rotors are not even close to meeting replacement criteria with respect to thickness, lateral runout, or cracking. I have about 4 events on them with 3400 miles on the odo.

Is this bluish discoloration a sign of significant loss of integrity in the rotors?

Last edited by RJFabCab; 03-23-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:34 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think so, I thought it was normal, although if you have built up a decent transfer layer from the pads it would be masked a bit.

One of the stoptech white papers even mentions blueing when bedding in new disks.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually get some blue color when I bed my discs but the it goes away after a while.

Try do some street driving and see if the discs wear enough to get the color off.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:35 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen my PCCB with that blue color after a track day. The color goes away after a few days.

I've not been turned down for a track day due to my car color, brakes color, pads color, skin color...
Old 03-23-2006, 08:14 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Try as others mentioned to bed them a bit and see if that works...I suspect it's not a big issue...BTW pics would really help...
Old 03-23-2006, 10:02 PM
JakeMate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, blued color means they are now bedded.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** him.... go to another shop. Is this a dealer? No cracks, meets thickness standard? Is this someplace that will sell you rotors?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:09 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. I finally had a chance to get a really good look at the rotors... and they are a little more stressed than my first cursory exam revealed.

I probably have another event left in this set... perhaps even two. Without a doubt, cracking will be the limiting factor. Thickness and lateral runoff were fine.

They eventually approved my inspection. This was at the local dealer and they freely admitted that they don't "see" many GT3s.

Here's a pic of the "bluish discoloration" which I've always accepted as pad transfer and bedding as you all have mentioned.

Time to start looking for Cup parts...
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

it's pad material transfer from bedding in...he's uninformed and doing you a diservice...I say write him up and hand him a Pagid Bedding Procedure manual!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:13 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
**** him.... go to another shop. Is this a dealer? No cracks, meets thickness standard? Is this someplace that will sell you rotors?
Roberga, there were cracks, and they looked quite small as I cruised out this morning. However, after really getting a chance to take a good look at the rotors, the cracks are a bit more prominent.

That being said, they still don't meet replacement criteria. They were initially saying that I needed to replace the rotors due to the bluish discoloration... no mention of problems with cracking, thickness, or runoff.

It was the local dealer.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:18 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgiere
it's pad material transfer from bedding in...he's uninformed and doing you a diservice...I say write him up and hand him a Pagid Bedding Procedure manual!
I took a glance at the rotors this morning and they looked "tested". Nothing unusual.

The unusual thing was receiving the phone call saying, "You need to replace the fronts due to the bluish discoloration".

So, all day I'm thinking, "Did I miss something here?" Naturally, I had to consult my Rennlist family!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on the photos, they look ok. There are the usual cracks but it looks as if they are not connected to each other, don't go to the edge or are not longer than 5 mm.

That color is quite strong though (not that it's a factor that would mean you can't track them but just observation), more than I normally see. What pads are you using?

In any case, you should (as well as pretty much everyone who seriously track their GT3) start looking into cooling ducts.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

What kind of pads are you running?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:47 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that a series of extreme heat cycles can 'cook' the rotors. A strong blue hue is indicative of this. 'Cooked' rotors have undergone what might fairly be described as 'curing' or 'heat treatment'. In consequence, their behaviour under normal driving conditions is modified and their effective capacity for absorbing and releasingf heat is changed.
It is hard to tell from the photograph because of the lighting, reflections and lack of some external colour reference. However, the cracks do not seem great.
I would not dismiss your tech inspector's comments out of hand. My brake guy junks blued rotors faster than you can say 'HOW much?'
R+C
Old 03-24-2006, 08:30 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy, it doesn't look like the pad is attacking the rotor evenly (which may explain the color). See the vent holes, how the top ones have pad material build up in them and it gets less as you look down the rotor? The bottom ones have nothing and are almost outside of the blue area. You may want to lightly turn the rotor, have the fronts bled real well and replace the pads......see if the problem repeats.

Quick Reply: Bluish rotor discoloration: failed tech inspection? (pic added)