Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 564 Posts

Why not another BMW or Audi?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in for an ad (if it doesn't cost crazy) and definitely will send letters to magazines.

Who has addresses or just e-mail addresses to the writers, i.e. some car columninst from NY Times or other big news paper like that might jump on it. What is Atlanta news paper..?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Someone should PM DCLee to do a story in BusinessWeek about it. He's done car stories there before. No cost involved and they're always looking for stuff to fill the pages. That'll get PCNA's attention.

Last edited by Holger B; 06-16-2006 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:08 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 564 Posts

Help from DCLee would be great.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:23 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finn, totally agree with you rpussification comment..I hate it as well and i give you guys credit for trying....

Fact is Porsche does not give a rats *** about enthusiast anymore...bottom line is dollar and has been for some years now.

I know they have to make money and i am a business owner myself but Porsche is greedy and sticks it to the consumer every chance they get. They will run out of reputation soon and someone else will come up with a better cheapaer product.

If they really cared they would put a GT3 motor or 997S motor in a light weight Caymay adn sell it to the track guys of the world....

ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS MONEY and it will catch up with them soon.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:56 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

rss997;

I think you are correct but I will do some fighting anyway. Of course, having a bunch of loyal 911 (model family) buyers year in and year out does not help.

They do understand poor sales.

Isn't this about the only rear engined street car left on the planet ? ? ?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:50 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Letters won't change anything. Having a large number of people go into the dealers and cancel their order will.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:15 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Letters won't change anything. Having a large number of people go into the dealers and cancel their order will.
so porsche ignores all the letters from consumers of their vehicles?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
so porsche ignores all the letters from consumers of their vehicles?
You'd be lucky to get a free keychain.

Seriously, unless a large number of people that have deposits down, nothting will change. As has been said before, they are in it for the profit, and nothing more. If they see a real danger of the losing money, then maybe something will happen. I would suggest you get all the rennlisters to send in the same letter, saying that you will pull your deposits as of a certain date if the sunroof delete option is not added. Copy the selling dealers as well. Likely nothing will happen at first, but when people actually start pulling deposits, it might be able to spark a change (if there are significant enough numbers...like maybe 75+ people).
Old 06-18-2006, 01:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rss997
Finn, totally agree with you rpussification comment..I hate it as well and i give you guys credit for trying....

Fact is Porsche does not give a rats *** about enthusiast anymore...bottom line is dollar and has been for some years now.

I know they have to make money and i am a business owner myself but Porsche is greedy and sticks it to the consumer every chance they get. They will run out of reputation soon and someone else will come up with a better cheapaer product.

If they really cared they would put a GT3 motor or 997S motor in a light weight Caymay adn sell it to the track guys of the world....

ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS MONEY and it will catch up with them soon.
Oh c'mon. Yeah they have to make money like everyone else. But remember the talk in the late 80's about porsche going under?

Tell me one company, except arguably Ferrari that is more enthusiast oriented (OK Lotus, but they're barely on the map).

And if you think Porsche sticks it to you, wait till you have the "Pride" of ferrari ownership.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:58 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38D
You'd be lucky to get a free keychain.

Seriously, unless a large number of people that have deposits down, nothting will change. As has been said before, they are in it for the profit, and nothing more. If they see a real danger of the losing money, then maybe something will happen. I would suggest you get all the rennlisters to send in the same letter, saying that you will pull your deposits as of a certain date if the sunroof delete option is not added. Copy the selling dealers as well. Likely nothing will happen at first, but when people actually start pulling deposits, it might be able to spark a change (if there are significant enough numbers...like maybe 75+ people).
There will be 75 more to take their place...
Old 06-18-2006, 03:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One will also need to be willing to wait until Porsche could bring the car even if they change their minds. Does anyone out there know of a single 997 without the hole? I think not. The reason is that Porsche never submitted data to the government for a 997 without the hole. So they would need to complete that process prior to building your car. Why would the do tht when without a doubt they will sell every car they build with the hole.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:21 PM
John356
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a major disappointment. Although I would be happy with a sunroof-free Carerra S, I assumed that it was going to be necessary to buy a GT3 to get a 997 without a sunroof in the US. Now it seems like the only option to increase headroom will be to import the European roof panel and have it installed.

It's becoming increasingly difficult for tall people to buy a high-end car with sufficient headroom in the US, as all the European and Japanese manufacturers are playing the same game. I wonder if it wouldn't be more productive for enthusiasts of the various marques to join together and lobby Washington to exempt non-sunroof cars from idiotic, supplemental crash testing than to complain to the manufacturers on a case-by-case basis.

Crash testing is a farce in any event, because nothing happens if the car comes out as a twisted ball of metal. Thus Yugos were crash tested and performed miserably but could be sold in the US because they took the test, whereas a 959 could not. That's like Newsweek ranking high schools on the number of students who take AP tests rather than the number who pass.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John356
lobby Washington to exempt non-sunroof cars from idiotic, supplemental crash testing
If anything we should be lobbying for a stricter FMVSS 201 and 216 instead of trying to get rid of them. The major car manufacturers in this country have a habit of doing nothing if it saves a dollar. And with the Chinese entering the market it is only going to get worse!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK folks, who has already sent the letter?

Let's not be lazyass talkers and just yap about it, if you haven't sent it already, do it a.s.a.p.

Quick Reply: Who's sending a sunroof letter?