Who's sending a sunroof letter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Who's sending a sunroof letter?

Attached is a copy of the letter Hank Cohn and his wife put together as a template for us to use and send to PCNA.

Who's in???

Peter Schwarzenbauer, CEO
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
980 Hammond Dr. Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328

Dear Mr. Schwarzenbauer:

[Insert introductory sentence here to establish some credibility, such as “I’ve bought three new Porsches since 1991.”]

As an avid Porsche enthusiast, I am writing to respectfully register my dismay regarding the imposition of a sunroof on the upcoming 911 GT3 series in the North American market. It seems to me that in deciding not to allow your North American driver base to choose to forego the sunroof, you are turning your back on the most serious Porsche drivers, those who are eager to eke every available horsepower out of the engine, eschew the extra weight of the sunroof and need all available headroom to accommodate racing helmets for those always-anticipated-and-never-often-enough days at the racetrack.

I realize the days of true homologation of racecars on the street may be over. However, it seems uncharacteristic of Porsche to force something as incongruous as a sunroof on a car that carries the GT3 name badge. I urge you to reconsider offering your North American customers the choice to order a pure track-worthy GT3 for 2007.

[Insert your strongest closing here, such as “My order hangs in the balance, and I eagerly await your response.” Or “As a Porsche owner since 1964 and a current 996 GT3 driver, I trust that Porsche is still interested in my business and that of others like me.”]

Sincerely,
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm using Hank's as a template and adjusting from there. I think the natural trickle in of letters this month should help the cause. The bags and bags of letters to Santa scenario as in the movie Miracle on 34th Street is not gonna happen.

Save the GT3 Save the GT3 Save the GT3 !
Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Letters like that are far more effective if they are NOT based on a form. Write your own letter, in your own voice, and it will have more of an impact. Just my two cents.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree but the template gets people moving. Most of us cannot help but let loose in our own way (I hope politely).
Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with TD...not only am I sending a letter.....I'm sending a sunroof!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sending.

However... TD got me thinking. Maybe we all shoudl send them whenever we want?

When they're all sent together and with "same" letter, it's obvious it is a group thing (which might, or might not be a good thing). But when letters are dropping every now and then, it's more individual thing which might be a good idea?

Ah, whatta hell, as long as we send lot of them.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
AW
Pro

I'm sending it asap, fedex.

AW
Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Shame we couldn't rent a sign outside of Porsche with this on it "NO SUNROOF IN THE GT3 PLEASE SIGNED RENNLISTERS" everyone including the president would see it every day.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Jersey,

find out more about it that's an awesome idea!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitly writting a letter. Putting my VIN number on it too (the credibility thing).

Jersey: I'm In for the sign idea, everyone kick in 10 bucks.

GT3 Chuck: Holy **** dude, u're hilarious! How long/difficult was it to actually take ur sunroof out and replace with a non-roof panel? Would it be possible to just buy the eurospec 997 hole-less roof and replace the bastardized american one with it.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'm sending.

However... TD got me thinking. Maybe we all shoudl send them whenever we want?

When they're all sent together and with "same" letter, it's obvious it is a group thing (which might, or might not be a good thing). But when letters are dropping every now and then, it's more individual thing which might be a good idea?

Ah, whatta hell, as long as we send lot of them.
These types of form letters get sent to DC all of the time. Here is how it works: If the decision maker agrees with your position, he or she counts each of the individual form letters separately, and claims a groundswell of support for his or her position.

If the decision maker disagrees with your position, he or she counts all of the individual form letters as a single letter, and writes it off to busybodies. I mean, if you really do care passionately about an issue, how difficult would it be to express yourself in your own words . . . .

We can guess Porsche's position on the issue . . . . so . . .
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

I'll be sending as well.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i wonder how many RS's will be bought by rennlisters, 6speeders and our renntech bretherin and racers/track junkies in the PCA. I'm willing to bet that at least 20-30 units if not more will be bought by these enthusiast groups who would rather have no sunroof.

That's like half of the north american allocation on RS's isn't it (74 in total?) ..i'm sure thats more than enuff to justify crash testing 2 or 3 units for it to happen.

EDIT: 2500 Posts! i think this is a milestone for any forum. Maybe i'll get lucky and get a proper roofless car

EDIT AGAIN: i think we should also CC a copy of these letters to other important sources of info, especially our local dealers. If a whole bunch of them get irritated enuff, then they might petition for it as well. I will be CCing a copy to Porsche, The two Ontario dealers, as well as writting up a letter to various magazines (Modified L&E, EVO, Driver, Car and Driver, Road and Track).
Old 06-14-2006, 05:28 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

why, they will sell all of the rs models even if they had a 500 watt amp in the trunk and a tip trannie. The battle was lost years ago.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

****. i guess i should just hunt for a white or orange 996GT3 and go to town on that thing then...how much are GT2's in the states?

Quick Reply: Who's sending a sunroof letter?