Sponsored by:

SmartyCam for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SmartyCam for GT3

I’m considering getting a SmartyCam for my ’04 GT3. Their website indicates they have a model-specific kit for all “Mk 2 996” models, which should include the ’04 GT3. Does anyone here have first-hand experience using this product in a 996 GT3?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep; works fine. Love mine. Here is a sample vid. SmartyCam (link) + EVO4 logger (link) + MyChron3 dash (link)

Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Mainly wanted to verify there are no problems pulling data from the OBD port. This is the kit I’m seeing on their website for the 996 (http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...II_100_eng.pdf ). It doesn’t show a GPS antenna in the standard kit HW or the optional accessories. I assume one is included with the kit anyway. Is the EVO4 logger only needed if you want to recall data beyond what is recorded on video?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

My SC came with an external GPS antenna even though it had on-board GPS as well. Correct, the EVO4 is for reviewing data from the ECU that is overlaid onto the video.

Give the guys in California a call if you have any questions; they are super helpful
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

for non-stripped car best combo now is SOLO DL unit with smartycam as a slave.
stripped race car of course will be better with MyChron3 or MXL.
also, do not bother woth ODB2 - go with CAN bus direct connection, you`ll get more channels to use with no delays.
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ble-399-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ocol-list.html
Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

The AIM manual I linked above suggests the SC must use the OBDII connection on the 996GT3 (page 4). Are you saying the SC can be interfaced to an existing data port on the car other than the OBDII plug? Apologies in advance, but is there such thing as a CAN bus connector on the 996? I don't see any refernce to CAN bus connections for the 996 on the SC website.

I'm mainly interested in capturing video with a few data points inserted into the video (RPM, speed, lap time, G-meter, etc.). Plotting logged data would be nice, but not my first priority.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

To get the CAN data you have to tap the lines going into the ECU. With just the SC, you get GPS data; speed, lap time, and g meter. There is the OBD2 connection and the ECU bridge options, but again, I would call and talk to the professionals in CA. They are helpful and friendly.

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can voucher for the Smarty Cam. Been using it for about a year. You need to purchase the ECU bridge to connect to the ECU/CAN bus. Options are to use an OBD2 connector or direct connection to CAN bus. Two different models. I get brake (on/off), proportional throttle, intake air temp, water temp, RPM. Camera provides G loads, lap time and computed gear. Very easy software to create your dashboard to be displayed on your video (Just drag and drop) System comes with multiple track maps or it can learn and create track maps on the fly. Race Studio SW allows for analyzing lap times. Great product and support!!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I would say this depends on the use case. You can get a lot of other HD video options for much less money. Also, the video is only 720 x 400 which is not up to standards of an inexpensive video camera.

I had a Chasecam system for video which was only Standard Definition (SD) - they do have a HD option now, but it is expensive. I switched to GoPro Hero 2 which is only $299 and will provide superior video to Smartycam.

If you are hooking up a lot of sensors and want something complex like AIM integration this might be a good option. If you are looking for something simpler you have other options. I will be using my GoPro with my Traqmate and have data / video overlay. Also, I can take my GoPro skiing or use it for other activities.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

No doubt HD looks exponentially better, but it also depends on what you want to spend your time on as well; compiling HD video and data, or just clipping and uploading. If you have multiple cameras that's where the real compiling fun starts.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Thanks to everyone for the constructive feedback. I've decided to go with the SC and SOLO DL. Mainly want video with a few basic data points inserted (RPM's, speed, G's, track position) without any extra effort to put them in. The DL is nice, because it shows lap times while still in car, and allows some limited data analysis if I decide I want to do that in the future.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam for GT3