Sponsored by:

Mesh grille kit recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mesh grille kit recomendations?

Looking to fit my car w/ a mesh kit for my front grille. Anyone help me out with a source?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your choices range from the factory screens from Gert at Carnewal to gutter screen from Home Depot...do a search....there have been a couple of DIY's on installs....
Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have got Cargraphic grilles on the front of mine - had them installed whilst a GT3 RS pu was being fitted by the bodyshop. Apparently not the most straightforward item to fit (despite the £200/$400 price), requiring some fettling of the plastic air ducts behind, specifically where they normally sit nicely up to the PU.

...Have to say, though, they look the nuts now they're on.

Got mine from Parr Motorsport here in the UK.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
JMeager
Advanced

£20 from a local hardware store for a sheet of aluminium mesh, enough to do two cars. 1/2 hour of my time taking bumper off, cutting with tin snips and shaping by hand. A couple of cable ties and some flexible glue and job done. There is no need to spend 200 euro on something that is as simple as it is...

As for them staying in place, you could get away with using nothing at all as the mesh gets held in place by the rubber ducting that guides the air into the radiators. This actually presses up into the bumper holding the grills in place. In fact, I think I'll find these ducts are glued to my bumper when I next take it off as it hadn't dried enough before I had to put it back together.... oh well, makes a great seal now
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand that Fahrnbacher-Loles out of Danbury, CT makes grills for the 996 & 997 GT3s. I do not know what they cost. I went the Home Depot route and had my mechanic make them up. Not pretty, but they work.

-Blake
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 AM
PointBy
Instructor

http://www.customcargrills.com/

If you are getting creative, at least get a high quality grill mesh. These guys have tons of choices. I just bought some for my track car.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Porsche Motorsport screens, and while expensive, they fit very well. When you install the Motorsport screens (and perhaps others as well) you have to remove the bezel that lines the inner openings in the bumper. The tabs that hold the bezel in place are painted the same color as the bumper, so you may want to consider painting the tabs flat black so they don't show when the grills go in and the bezel comes out. That's what I did, and it looks very clean.

Last edited by racingfan; 05-21-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I got the Carghaphic screens from Sharkwerks.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Carefree
Pro

JMeager, do you have any finished or during the process pictures?
Is the front bumper pretty simple to remove, if so, have you seen a post describing the "best steps" for doing this?
Anything to save those small coolers up front is worth while.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Here's all you need, courtesy of Dell:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=bumper
Old 05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carefree
JMeager, do you have any finished or during the process pictures?
Is the front bumper pretty simple to remove, if so, have you seen a post describing the "best steps" for doing this?
Anything to save those small coolers up front is worth while.
No sorry but there are a couple of bumper removal instructions on the web. It's a few plugs on the top, a few in the guard liners, behind the side indicators and a few underneath then it just comes straight off. Honestly it's pretty easy.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 05-24-2008, 07:29 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff
£20 from a local hardware store for a sheet of aluminium mesh, enough to do two cars. 1/2 hour of my time taking bumper off, cutting with tin snips and shaping by hand. A couple of cable ties and some flexible glue and job done. There is no need to spend 200 euro on something that is as simple as it is...
Yep, agree, in hindsight, they're not difficult to make, however I didn't have the luxury of time - it was a last minute decision to install them the day before I was due to take my car up to Shorade in Cannock for the fitting/painting of the RS front PU, so popped into Parr on the way up north. Last thing I fancied doing after brand new paint was to then remove the PU again to make up grilles - for once I cheated and got someone else to do it!

..plus getting a couple of hours these days to tinker with the car seems to be a very rare thing matey!...nevermind, I'm gradually teaching my 2yr old daughter the difference between an OE and ring spanner, and how to use a torque wrench when my Wife's not watching!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:49 AM
JMeager
Advanced

Originally Posted by spenny_b

..plus getting a couple of hours these days to tinker with the car seems to be a very rare thing matey!...nevermind, I'm gradually teaching my 2yr old daughter the difference between an OE and ring spanner, and how to use a torque wrench when my Wife's not watching!
So you'll have an apprentice to do the work for you soon!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Question: Anyone actually just put the mesh "in front of" the stock units and use zip ties. Simple, fast, etc.

I really don't want to pull the bumper off. I was thinking of getting custom grill diamond weave stuff, cutting it and attaching. My only concern is the edges: will they scratch things up to kindgom-come.

Car is a 996TT, so it has the black plastic grill inserts there already (to use as tie on points...).

TIA everyone.

JB
Old 06-18-2008, 06:34 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Question: Anyone actually just put the mesh "in front of" the stock units and use zip ties. Simple, fast, etc.

I really don't want to pull the bumper off. I was thinking of getting custom grill diamond weave stuff, cutting it and attaching. My only concern is the edges: will they scratch things up to kindgom-come.

Car is a 996TT, so it has the black plastic grill inserts there already (to use as tie on points...).

TIA everyone.

JB
It will look rubbish, plain and simple.....

Quick Reply: Mesh grille kit recomendations?