Sponsored by:

SEQUENTIAL SHIFT 4 STREET USE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
The issue I've always seen raised is how it would cope with secondary impacts. F1 cars have carbon safety cells do they not? They seem to hold up!
Ah yes, I'm not sure if they actually do have a steel bar underneath but I bet they do. I think though if we looked at the manufacturing techniques of their tub versus the carbon cages I think there would be a few slight differences... I know who's trust I would put my life in....
Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default cage

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Do not buy the carbon fiber rollcage. That company has ZERO racing fabrication experience, more importantly no destructive testing has been performed on that product. They have no way to quantify the safety margin of thier plastic cage. There are so many reasons why you would not want a carbon rollcage I do not have time to list them. Suffice to say I have designed composite racecar structures (safety cell/tub and body/aero components) as well as aerospace composite primary structures. Racecars have rigorous destructive testing performed to ensure the structures integrity under deflection and impact (crash testing). Aerostructures have unbelieveably expensive and complex non-destuctive testing requirements for ensuring the structural integrity of composites. TUV or DOT approval for aftermarket is nothing more than bolting a product on a car and driving around with it for a given ammount of time.

Any company who claims to be pioneering such a novel product should be telling you who fabricates it and how they do so, what materials are used, what cures are performed, and most importantly what testing/qualifications are perfomed for quality. The F1 roll hoops are no more than an aero component covering a metal bar. see, metal, that's what you want protecting your head.
The cage is currently not offerecd for sale until testing is completed.
I was interested in the lightweight cup design "IF" it were to be FIA approved in which im required to have for the form of racing i perform.

Since i have considered all-wheel drive, the weight reduction would help in a lightweight cage compared to other cars without all-wheel drive.

I have no idea if the anti-splinter technology works, and i would never install it unless i knew if was proven.

That being said, if anybody did their homework on this they would know that Porsche is currently looking closely at this technology as is RUF.

It might be the future, it might not. have to wait and see.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default gt2

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Is this going into you're AWD GT2?
hey Bub, i never said i was looking to buy a GT2..... i only asked if anybody knew if the ebayer claim had any truth as i did not know of such an exsistance either...... no more too it....
Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

But who am I to judge [/QUOTE]

when you install a full cage in yours.

FIA rules for me , not choice Bub.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen bub, as far as I can see you aren't racing this car, yet posing it up to be a big bad racer to drive on the street, again this is only from what I observe within you're comments and threads. BTW full cage is going into my car
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Nice to see you are installing a full cage. Awesome porsche to enjoy racing.

to be upfront, i currently race tarmac rallys which are under the same rules and regulations as FIA.

Im interested in getting a 996 porsche that can run a tarmac rally, also be used for DE and club events and lastly, still be used for a blast on the streets for the odd sunday if desired.

I have been looking at used Cups, but for tarmac rallys in newfoundland and mexico pump gas is my limit some times, thus a rally spec'd Cup with dealer plates wouldnt suffice for fuel reasons.( 87 octane at times, and towing around a crew with drums of fuel is for the birds)

Hence now im considering a street GT3 spec'd to race. This way i also get a legit title, since i do have to transit on public roads for some races.

I almost had a gt3 street engine to install in a bare cup tub, but the timing as always, was off.
I even looked at an 01' 996 turbo tub to build up for racing, but i do not want a rally-only car as im focusing on more track oriented with my new car purchase and i would like to run with other GT3's.

Im currently planning my build as best i can first becuase i plan to own this car for a long time unless it becomes distroyed in a race.

But yeah, i would like a gt2 to do this with but the prices of used GT2's are much higher then used gt3's as you know
Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Something tells me from this posters previous threads and responses that he does not care one bit about these issue's, their quality or reputation as it's not going to be put to it's original proper use!

But who am I to judge
Yes, who are you and how do you figure? What is the "original proper use"? Do you think you're the only one going to the track here? Come out to Buttonwillow sometime and we can see what's what.

Being that I am in the industry (automotive design and production) I can comment on such things with some degree of insight. I've designed composite structures for the Swift Atlantic .014 as well as ALMS P1 cars.

So, I do know about qualification of composite structures and the like. I love you guys who have a hard-on for tuners like these; you are all so eager to believe all of their bull**** marketing.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanH
The issue I've always seen raised is how it would cope with secondary impacts. F1 cars have carbon safety cells do they not? They seem to hold up!
Yes, the tubs are a carbon-composite/honeycomb hybrid layup; they are extremely stout structures that handle deflection well. Nose cones, side pods and body panels are standard carbon-composite layup and are designed to "crunch" in an impact to diffuse the forces of the impact. The tub is designed to deflect and stay intact when subject to the remainder of the impact forces not absorbed by the aforementioned. Roll hoops on atlantic cars are steel covered by the aero carbon bodywork.

That said, given the costs of properly performing destructive testing on the plastic cage to verify any FEA scenario they may have come up with; there will not be any profits seen by the 12 or so people who would ever buy one. This cage has been on the oakley site for sometime now; what's the hold-up? Dont hold your breath for FIA approval. These guys would have to sell a lot of brake kits to pay for composite structures engineering like the big boys do. I'll go out on a limb and say that they will never have that kind of money.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Yes, who are you and how do you figure? What is the "original proper use"? Do you think you're the only one going to the track here? Come out to Buttonwillow sometime and we can see what's what.

Being that I am in the industry (automotive design and production) I can comment on such things with some degree of insight. I've designed composite structures for the Swift Atlantic .014 as well as ALMS P1 cars.

So, I do know about qualification of composite structures and the like. I love you guys who have a hard-on for tuners like these; you are all so eager to believe all of their bull**** marketing.
First of all what are you saying and who the hell are you?

You basically agreed with what I said in you're last sentence, carry on.

Come out to buttonwillow to see what's what? Come to my gym and powerlift with me and SEE WHAT'S WHAT. No one was speaking like a big bad racer, except for yourself!

And just FYI re-read my post and why I quote YOU, by this poster I was talking about the thread starter asking these questions!

Last edited by iLLM3; 06-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Damn .......... it's hot in here!
Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

You asked "who am I to judge". I was asking the same.

I think I get it now; you were saying that no one who buys one of the plastic cages would use it for track, yes? In that case we do agree.

Yea, yeah I get it now, I was not "this poster". And here I thought you were calling me out as a hack.

Hey I don't power lift, but can we run a 10k instead? Seriously, I grew up on the north shore of LI; from a former New Yorker, please accept my apologies. Im sure you are very, very fast in your car and strong in the gym and what not.

Just trying to help the buyer beware of worthless, unsafe products.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

You asked "who am I to judge". I was asking the same.

I think I get it now; you were saying that no one who buys one of the plastic cages would use it for track, yes? In that case we do agree.

Yea, yeah I get it now, I was not "this poster". And here I thought you were calling me out as a hack.

Hey I don't power lift, but can we run a 10k instead? Seriously, I grew up on the north shore of LI; from a former New Yorker, please accept my apologies. Im sure you are very, very fast in your car and strong in the gym and what not.

Just trying to help the buyer beware of worthless, unsafe products.
LOL life is too short to hate and argue, especially over the net, apology accepted and I apologize as well.. You got me in the 10k though hah.

What I was saying is I doubt and almost KNOW the original poster can care less of the testing and functionability of the CF cage except for it's "cool" looks, yes we both agree and you definitely have infinite more knowledge on this subject then I.

If you are ever in NY please drop me a PM!

Martin
Old 06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Right on. Wish I could say I'd be visiting but I just never go back anymore. I do miss all the hot women walking around the city! Nothing like NYC in the summer.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Right on. Wish I could say I'd be visiting but I just never go back anymore. I do miss all the hot women walking around the city! Nothing like NYC in the summer.
NYC in the summer is nasty. People are sweaty and they are all around you so they smell.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Yeah well, when youre hanging out with models and dancers and the like, the sweat and smell is not such a bad thing. So much talent out there...

Quick Reply: SEQUENTIAL SHIFT 4 STREET USE?