Sponsored by:

SEQUENTIAL SHIFT 4 STREET USE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Since i have considered all-wheel drive, the weight reduction would help in a lightweight cage compared to other cars without all-wheel drive.
Have you actually even looked at the extra weight of the turbo versus gt2/3? 150KG's! Have you looked at the weight of the avg cage? 20KG's for a clubsport cage. So You will save let's say 10KG's with your carbon cage. Woohooo, brilliant, where are the other 140KG's going to be saved?

Have you ever wondered why Porsche don't race the Turbo? Dur freddy. If you want to win you want a rear wheel drive Porsche, simple. If you can't win, learn how to drive. Try spending the money on good lessons not the car..... These cars have awesome wet traction, they don't need 4wd......

Bored now.... I can't be bothered discussing such things with someone who hasn't even experienced the capabilities of the unique Porsche design. Get in one with some race tyres (Toyo's r888's etc) and be blown away by the traction, then tell me you still need to save weight because of 4wd........
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

The cage is currently not offerecd for sale until testing is completed.

I have no idea if the anti-splinter technology works, and i would never install it unless i knew if was proven.

That being said, if anybody did their homework on this they would know that Porsche is currently looking closely at this technology as is RUF.
Most likely thier "testing" will never be completed.

There is no such thing as "anti-splinter technology".

Most OEM's are musing over a composite chassis, but again, it usually appears economically unfeasable because of the testing needed to verify what happens to the structure during cure cycle. If tooling costs and crash testing are something that an OEM can't face up to, how exactly would a fly-by-night tuner be able to pay for it?

FWIW, I have had meetings with Alois RUF when I was at Swift for the purpose of developing a short run composite chassis for them. Swift passed on the deal because there was no money in it. Alois ended up having some Italian hack shop do the work.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

.075 mild steel for this guy.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Unhappy gt3

Originally Posted by JMeager
Have you actually even looked at the extra weight of the turbo versus gt2/3? 150KG's! Have you looked at the weight of the avg cage? 20KG's for a clubsport cage. So You will save let's say 10KG's with your carbon cage. Woohooo, brilliant, where are the other 140KG's going to be saved?

Have you ever wondered why Porsche don't race the Turbo? Dur freddy. If you want to win you want a rear wheel drive Porsche, simple. If you can't win, learn how to drive. Try spending the money on good lessons not the car..... These cars have awesome wet traction, they don't need 4wd......

Bored now.... I can't be bothered discussing such things with someone who hasn't even experienced the capabilities of the unique Porsche design. Get in one with some race tyres (Toyo's r888's etc) and be blown away by the traction, then tell me you still need to save weight because of 4wd........

you misunderstood obviously.... i said it would HELP in weight reduction, not match..... any weight saving on an all-wheel drive turbo HELPS. doors, trunk lid, bonnet, fenders, calipers etc........ what ever helps.... not match which is what you went on about.

and yes, gt3 has great wet traction, but as i have posted i not only track, but tarmac rally with rain and gravel spread about the roadways from racers clipping the shoulders...... which is why i merely CONSIDERED all-wheel drive.

jezzz
Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Default carbon fiber

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Most likely thier "testing" will never be completed.

There is no such thing as "anti-splinter technology".

Most OEM's are musing over a composite chassis, but again, it usually appears economically unfeasable because of the testing needed to verify what happens to the structure during cure cycle. If tooling costs and crash testing are something that an OEM can't face up to, how exactly would a fly-by-night tuner be able to pay for it?

FWIW, I have had meetings with Alois RUF when I was at Swift for the purpose of developing a short run composite chassis for them. Swift passed on the deal because there was no money in it. Alois ended up having some Italian hack shop do the work.
I can see by your posts you know alot about composite materials and for you to say it looks definitly not possible which i can respect and understand... then i think you are more then likely right.
You must find this discussion amusing

I have no idea on the material other then i was curious in the "idea" and not knowing much about it i want to see what the FIA thinks.

As i mentioned earlier i am bound by the FIA for my form of racing.

For others posting about how they feel I have no idea or need for a full roll cage says alot to me about who is posting on threads.

But they drive great cars so they cant be that bad
Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by datax
NYC in the summer is nasty. People are sweaty and they are all around you so they smell.
Ken you are going to get it
Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you misunderstood obviously.... i said it would HELP in weight reduction, not match..... any weight saving on an all-wheel drive turbo HELPS. doors, trunk lid, bonnet, fenders, calipers etc........ what ever helps.... not match which is what you went on about.

and yes, gt3 has great wet traction, but as i have posted i not only track, but tarmac rally with rain and gravel spread about the roadways from racers clipping the shoulders...... which is why i merely CONSIDERED all-wheel drive.

jezzz
Check this out!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7grxe936M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1CKwBl5yQE&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ezum4gPOwgI&feature=related
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 AM
JMeager
Advanced

but tarmac rally with rain and gravel spread about the roadways from racers clipping the shoulders...... which is why i merely CONSIDERED all-wheel drive.
Don't bother, for the few slippery corners the entire rest of the run would be rubbish. To compare the 4wd of the turbo to an Evo or Sti is like apples and oranges. Evo's and STi's are brilliant 4wd setups with active diffs. They use some much technology to make the car drive itself practically. A turbo Porsche will never compete.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

that is the kind of tarmac racing im currently doing (minus the mud and snow)

Anybody interested in changing their suspension and tires for a try?

Every september in eastern canada there is a 5 day tarmac rally on closed public roads with twists, turns and lots of straight aways.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:22 AM
prg
Pro

Originally Posted by db_gt3
I've designed composite structures for the Swift Atlantic .014
I wish you guys hadn't done such a good job. I got left for dead by Hans Peter in one of your products 2 months ago. A pretty amazing piece of engineering in the right hands.

Quick Reply: SEQUENTIAL SHIFT 4 STREET USE?