Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle induced understeer - solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

understeer on 2? where? I would guess as you drop from the top down to apex. Next time try to get Ted JR. in the right seat. That is not a corner for challenges on exit. I still would get Gregg for the setup and TedJR for a test ride. Kitch will sometime let you come out for a "power lunch" to test and tune.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
understeer on 2? where? I would guess as you drop from the top down to apex. Next time try to get Ted JR. in the right seat. That is not a corner for challenges on exit. I still would get Gregg for the setup and TedJR for a test ride. Kitch will sometime let you come out for a "power lunch" to test and tune.
I think it was Ted Jr who gave him the advice in the first post... Ted was Daryl's instructor for the day I believe...
Old 10-25-2008, 04:19 AM
JMeager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget that at the time you apply throttle as above, the diff will lock up (assuming your diff is still working ) which will push you wide as well as both rear wheels want to track straight ahead.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

when my can is having issues I let my mechanic (built Peter Gregg and Haywood's 935s) take a few laps. More often than not he says " feels fine - drive better"
Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

I think first u adjust your Swaybar settings. I think 171mph has full stiff rear and full soft front and he is on motons. Check LSD too. Behavior with busted LSD is unstable straightline braking( front hunting and rear moving laterally side to side). Also on slower turns could not rotate out with power. Regards. Mike
Old 10-25-2008, 01:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
when my can is having issues I let my mechanic (built Peter Gregg and Haywood's 935s) take a few laps. More often than not he says " feels fine - drive better"
LOL, that's what my mechanic tells me too.
then he proceeds to beat me by2-3 seconds driving 7/10 with me in the car, hahah
Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

What is your front camber set at? While adjusting the bars can certainly help, if you have too little camber, you will still sacrifice grip. I found a similar behavior which I dialed out with the bars (camber was at -1.8 for stock class autox) but when realigning with more negative camber up front, not only does the car feel more neutral but the grip is amazing (-2.5 up front for track). Note that you still may have to tweak the bars after adjusting the camber.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I think first u adjust your Swaybar settings. I think 171mph has full stiff rear and full soft front and he is on motons. Check LSD too. Behavior with busted LSD is unstable straightline braking( front hunting and rear moving laterally side to side). Also on slower turns could not rotate out with power. Regards. Mike
+1

So far, I've experienced throttle induced understeer only on the skid pad and only during the first time outing. Like Mooty said, the car *should* push a bit around tight turns and you can adj it with throttle and turn in if you want to slide around a bit. I would take it on to the skid pad and practice. I've the front sway bar set at one hole from full stiff and rear at one hole from full soft. -2.8 front camber, slightly toe-out up front and slightly toe-in for rear.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 AM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions.

Dell: At my speed, it isn't "Too fast at entry". LOL!

Mike: Reset front bar. Front: One from full soft. Rear: One from full hard. Other than needing more front neg camber. This should help this high speed power induced understeer.

Leigh and Mooty: You are correct, this occurs during exiting while I am squeezing the throttle back on. For low speed (tight) cornering, continually working on better driver input.

JMeager, Mike, Datax: Good point, LSD is still functioning.

Gordon: Am still trying to find the correct or good line through 8.

JohnR: Based on what you describe, believe that is the answer. Not enough neg front camber.

PJ: Ted is the man! Could of heard him wrong? Thus, the question to the group.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions.

Dell: At my speed, it isn't "Too fast at entry". LOL!

Mike: Reset front bar. Front: One from full soft. Rear: One from full hard. Other than needing more front neg camber. This should help this high speed power induced understeer.

Leigh and Mooty: You are correct, this occurs during exiting while I am squeezing the throttle back on. For low speed (tight) cornering, continually working on better driver input.

JMeager, Mike, Datax: Good point, LSD is still functioning.

Gordon: Am still trying to find the correct or good line through 8.

JohnR: Based on what you describe, believe that is the answer. Not enough neg front camber.

PJ: Ted is the man! Could of heard him wrong? Thus, the question to the group.
Talk with: Chris Powell, Collen, or Gregg. They will help get this right. Ted's Dad works at Chris'
Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 PM
mfennell
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjb
As others have said, if the problem is push, or understeer, then the advice you got will make it worse
It's common for strut-equipped front cars to understeer less with a stiffer front end because the camber curves tend to suck. The good (I almost wrote "positive" ) camber effects of less bodyroll outweigh the negative weight transfer effects.

Not the case with a GT3 with stiff springs?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

GT3 will always push on corner exit on tight turns and full gas. The front end gets really light, and there is practically no weight on the front axle. Making the car neutral in such conditions, will make it too loose at other places.

Try a later apex and trail braking. A stiffer rear bar will help better than a softer front bar, because of the light front end on tight corner exits.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
GT3 will always push on corner exit on tight turns and full gas. The front end gets really light, and there is practically no weight on the front axle. Making the car neutral in such conditions, will make it too loose at other places.

Try a later apex and trail braking. A stiffer rear bar will help better than a softer front bar, because of the light front end on tight corner exits.
this is a sweeper ~70 turn in - 110 track out 3rd gear not tight at all. It is however a very late apex.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

70 mph in, 110 mph out with understeer? wow... even though his spring rates at the back are high (900#).

In this case I would add one click on rear compression and rebound, and move the rear bar at one from stiff.

I ran my car with the front and rear bar at one from stiff, with the rear at full stiff for autoX. This was on wider wheels and tires: 285/335 on 10"/12" wheels.

The 235 is a skinny tire.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
70 mph in, 110 mph out with understeer? wow... even though his spring rates at the back are high (900#).

In this case I would add one click on rear compression and rebound, and move the rear bar at one from stiff.

I ran my car with the front and rear bar at one from stiff, with the rear at full stiff for autoX. This was on wider wheels and tires: 285/335 on 10"/12" wheels.

The 235 is a skinny tire.
i know that is what I am having trouble understanding. I can not think how to make the car understeer on this turn.

Quick Reply: Throttle induced understeer - solution?