Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle induced understeer - solution?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 AM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Throttle induced understeer - solution?

Last tracking day experienced, "Throttle induced understeer". It was suggested (from the Cup Car Champion and instructor) that I "tighten" up the front bar a notch. At the time front was 2 from hard and rear 2 from hard. MPSC, stock sizes, already had a good tire temp. Moton Club Sport. 150LB helper springs all around. 600LB front. 900Lb rear. If I make the suggested adjustment that would put me at full hard in front, 2 from full hard rear, correct?
Suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you thought about just making the rear a bit more LOOSE instead?

BTW, I have never heard of it as throttle induced understeer......rather I have heard of it as to fast an entry speed into the corner

Last edited by LVDell; 10-24-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Ummmm... If you want to reduce understeer and or add oversteer then you must stiffen the rear bar or soften the front setting.

Seems to be the opposite of the advice your getting.

Lets just say that I have my rear bar set full stiff, and drive with the tail hanging out.

BTW as Dell is leading to you can change the way the car reacts to a corner simply by changing driver inputs. I was driving a friends Cobra R that he had pushing like a dump truck at a 3:00 minute lap but my style had the car neutral in every corner and at 2:49. His attack was just different than mine.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael B.
I was driving a friends Cobra R that he had pushing like a dump truck at a 3:00 minute lap but my style had the car neutral in every corner and at 2:49. His attack was just different than mine.
Bingo! Many times, it's just the driver that needs a slight change.

If you are going in too hot and can't break that cycle have you thought about using that as an opportunity to really trailbrake the corner?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Uber Cars
Last tracking day experienced, "Throttle induced understeer". It was suggested (from the Cup Car Champion and instructor) that I "tighten" up the front bar a notch. At the time front was 2 from hard and rear 2 from hard. MPSC, stock sizes, already had a good tire temp. Moton Club Sport. 150LB helper springs all around. 600LB front. 900Lb rear. If I make the suggested adjustment that would put me at full hard in front, 2 from full hard rear, correct?
Suggestions appreciated.
I think you are talking about turn 8. There have been more challenges in resent times. I would get with Cantrell or Gregg Fordhal. Who ever did the motons should be able to help you out.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, if the problem is push, or understeer, then the advice you got will make it worse. If it feels like it's plowing (especially through lower speed corners) then soften the front a notch at a time since there is more adjustment up there, or stiffen the rear. I softened my front to one from full soft with the rear at 1 from full hard and it solved the problem I was having. Now there is a bit of understeer that's easily correctable with the throttle.
Whatever you do, make the adjustments one notch at a time.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the experts above...and wouldn't having a setup that allows the use of throttle induced oversteer be faster and safer?
Old 10-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle induced understeer would indicate that that car pushes under throttle most likely exiting the corner rather than corner entry. Typical solutions are less front bar, more front camber, or tighter rear bar. The Motons could probably be adjusted to reduce the weight transfer to the rear which might help as well. If it's a slower corner I'd be careful tuning the car for the slower corner where there is a lot of lower gear weight transfer and subsequently screw up the handling in the more important higher speed corners IMO. I also agree completely on the driver input theory...makes a huge difference.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks all. Most likely driver (or lack of) skill or experience.
A couple more points: As Roberga suggested, at Pacific Raceways (Kent, WA) can feel in turn 8 but, mostly in exit to turn 2. For those who are not familiar, 2 is a high speed full throttle left hand sweeper. When squeezing up to full throttle, front will "push". Can re-adjust weight of car w/momentary slight lift throttle but this is not the correct way through those turns (safely or quickly).
P.S. Since car is mostly driven on street, alignment is not as agressive as Kussumaul settings.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Throttle induced understeer would indicate that that car pushes under throttle most likely exiting the corner rather than corner entry. Typical solutions are less front bar, more front camber, or tighter rear bar. The Motons could probably be adjusted to reduce the weight transfer to the rear which might help as well. If it's a slower corner I'd be careful tuning the car for the slower corner where there is a lot of lower gear weight transfer and subsequently screw up the handling in the more important higher speed corners IMO. I also agree completely on the driver input theory...makes a huge difference.
right on.

in a tight turn, your car SHOULD push. you can adj it with throttle and turn in. if car is neutral, it would be hell scary at a fast turn.

i am also confrused with the original post. if it pushes with throttle, i would ran softer front, not tighten it up. more front camber, more trail braking, less entry speed, more lift, more rear bar, or less rear camber or combiination there of. but hey, i am no pro.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

My car's largest handling problem is located inside the helmet...no question :>)
Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
My car's largest handling problem is located inside the helmet...no question :>)
really? we must have the same helmet then
Old 10-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I think they're quite common.....
Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
va122
Drifting

+1 with what mooty said. Another option is to change to 800 springs in the rear or raise the rear ride height. It's a PITA though
Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
va122
Drifting

Or take compression out of the front.

Quick Reply: Throttle induced understeer - solution?