Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soln to not losing front lip spoiler at track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 04:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Soln to not losing front lip spoiler at track?

I maybe lost maybe 5-7 lipspoilers at the track so I was thinking. U know at 150-175 a pop for the lip spoilers - it gets expensive. I was thinking if u have a towhook with rehookable clamps in front and just tap a hole on the front lip spoiler and tow hook and install a rubber type string from tow hook to lip with tension that in case of an off if it pops off the tension from the rubber string would lift the lip spoiler up and lip spoiler still be with u(plus rubber string would keep lip spoiler glued to front spoiler with no air gaps). Question how much tension(u dont want it to pop off to top of front hood and chipping your car) Maybe kinda ugly but hell better then losing one. What u think? Mike
Old 10-31-2008, 04:32 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike, I know your fast, but not THAT much faster than the rest of us. I've never had any issue with the splitter coming loose (except when I ran over a wheel stop at Carlson -- you'd think they'd have shorter wheel stops for their dumb customers). I think the key is proper installation -- thoroughly clean with goof-off, two 1/2" rows of double stick tape (the red coated exterior version from home depot) and the proper plastic rivets. I don't think it would come off at top speed.

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:36 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to not lose it is to not fall off the track?! Mine never come off unless I've gone over some grass.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

On the track and on asphalt no problem but if u get off asphalt, spoiler will come off majority of the time. I did not mention I'm ne faster then neone. I wish I was fast like Dave(171mph) but nevertheless offs do happen. Fred I'm not talking highspeed runs where lipspoiler will fly off( speaking of such it happened at thill but it was my fault did not check rivets/gap)- I'm talking if u mowing the lawn at the track. I've lost 4 lipspoilers last year and 3 of date this year and 90 % of the time it was on offs- just trying to recoup what I lost minus rivets : ). Mike
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you can not see light between the splitter and the underside of the bumper you will be fine. Check before going out. THe slightest contact out in town will pull it away bit by bit. The next thing you know off it goes. Be careful about attaching, other parts of you car cost more. The tape solution in your avatar should work. You can also run it along the width of the splitter instead. 3M Adhesive remover will help on removal.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Mike, now I understand...so, I guess DanH said it right. I think I'll start walking the track in the evening before I leave and gather up the spoils...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Roberga I understand- I dont want my front bumper coming off too- that's why I like to link a rubber string so that if it pops off it's just the rivets pulling off and lip spoiler would just pop up to a point it doesnt flop on top of front lid. I would cringe on those racecars with fixed metal strings- definitely would pull off front bumper or strip the treads. Also the duct tape has helped alot on in reducing pop offs on minor spins and high speed runs. I just think a rubber string with rt amount of tension in a straigtaway off( Dave will chime here- straightaway offs on a long patch of grass(usually not smooth but bumpy) will guarantee no lipspoiler. Regards. Mike
Old 10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

To be honest, even on the grass mine rarely comes off. The tape between splitter and PU is ESSENTIAL (the double sided 3m stuff), and if thats bonded on properly the clips do a sterling job.

Any better attached and I thnk the PU is gonna get damaged.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

You definately think outside the box!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 AM
ssort
Rennlist Member

another suggestion for double sided tape is an auto body shop supply store. the tape they sell is commercial grade made for auto body trim applications.

Can i ask, if and when a new one is needed where you guys have been buying them? the P Dealer i thought quoted me something like 300? Did i miss something? thanks!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine just went flying off on a high speed straight with no off last weekend. It as taken of to put on a trailer and just put back on with new plastic rivets.

It went flying off at 150+
Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Martin Bishop
Mine just went flying off on a high speed straight with no off last weekend. It as taken of to put on a trailer and just put back on with new plastic rivets.

It went flying off at 150+
That's normally a symptom of having no double sided tape. The rivets alone don't do the job as air gets between PU & splitter. The tape prevents this and makes a massive difference.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DanH
That's normally a symptom of having no double sided tape. The rivets alone don't do the job as air gets between PU & splitter. The tape prevents this and makes a massive difference.
If ou can see light between the splitter and the bumper, the splitter will come off at speed. The down force will expand the space and then air will travel between the splitter and bumper. Next you will hear the splitter traveling under the car.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Interesting thing is...the stock splitter comes with double sided tape installed w/protective cover, ready to peel and install. The cup splitter does not come with double sided tape at all. I was thinking that in a "race scenario", a damaged splitter could be replaced quickly, since no tape to mess with. I was wondering if the cup cars use different rivets??
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

stock lip spoiler actually has a recessed area for the double sided tape so if stuck to bumper it sits flush(no gap). Cup lip no recessed area. For now just trackdays I tape it like u see on avatar. Mike

Quick Reply: Soln to not losing front lip spoiler at track?