Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car ran out of gas, now won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car ran out of gas, now won't start.

Need some suggestions. I was at Mid Ohio this weekend and ran out of gas, "I know" I just got caught up in the excitement. anyways. I put 6 gallons in, and the car still won't start. I can hear the fuel pump and the fuel is getting pressure at least to the filter, but now sounds and smells flooded. is there a anything special I should know? I don't want to burn out the starter, but I have tried to start the car at least 30 times. both with the pedal down, up, removed the air filter..., disconnected the battery for 30 seconds....any suggestions or ideas, would be greatly appreicated. When this occured, the car stuttered...then I got half a lap...and then cut out....I coasted all the way into the paddock. If the fuel pump went, I wound not expect to see fuel pressure at the filter.. if these cars flood, is it a pain to restart? If nothing else, I can pull spark plugs...just thought someone might know the trick.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:08 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry bud never heard of this, and i run my tank dry when i TT
Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Carefree
Pro

JetMech,

I ran my fuel extremely low and the car died. It would try and re-fire, then die again.

After checking everything (I even called Dell in for support) I finally had it flat bedded to Sunset Porsche. It was the fuel pump (pressure problem) it pumped but no pressure.

Check pressure (if you can) and that is where I would start.

Let us know what happens.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Problem found. The fuel lines from the fuel pump were cracked, as something happend to them. dealer wanted to know if I used race gas or something, which I have not. I assumed the pump creates heat and with no fuel to cool the lines, they became brittle. They are locating new lines and will replace them. At least the pump was in good shape. so do not run your cars low on fuel at the track or anywhere else. I have taken one for the team! I usualy run my car 1/4 tank of gas to keep weight down while at the track, but will not be doing that anymore!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for "taken one for the team". I will be watching my fuel gauge for sure.

Joe
Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetmech
The fuel lines from the fuel pump were cracked, as something happend to them.
IIRC, that was a common problem with these cars when they first came out. You may have an early production car and the problem just surfaced...or you may have found the cause. Either way, good to have you up and running again.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Carefree
Pro

Good info, sorry you had to replace these fuel lines. Thanks for posting this up.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

I just heard something on the radio about fuel pumps that are in the tanks. They rely on the fuel for cooling and it is better for the pumps to keep fuel levels up. This was not for any particular car just those with submerged fuel pumps.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Carefree
Pro

Agreed, keep your fuel levels up. A $1300.00 fuel pump is a sore subject.
High heat seems to add to the low fuel, fuel pump faluire reate.

Dennis
Old 05-12-2009, 11:07 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
I just heard something on the radio about fuel pumps that are in the tanks. They rely on the fuel for cooling and it is better for the pumps to keep fuel levels up. This was not for any particular car just those with submerged fuel pumps.
Back in 2004 after 1200 miles on my brand new (30 day old) 996TT I had a similar problem. Except that the dealer diagnosed it as "melted fuel system parts" and stated that it would not be covered under warranty. Car was driveable at the time but ran a little rough; I had driven under my own power to dealer but in process of initial diagnosis they tore everything apart. Dealer was not helpful at all. I had to retrieve the car by flatbed and send it to another dealer who agreed to take a look. Of course by this time the PCNA rep had also stated it wouldn't be covered. Anyhow it sat for almost 30 days at the second dealer before it was repaired under "goodwill". Perhaps because lemon law kicks in as a factor after 30 days...they would've had a heck of a time proving that I did anything to cause the problem...especially since I had/have all my records from my Chevron gas card showing weekly fillups over years! (Yeah and the engineers at Chevron stated that the only thing that would cause melting with their fuel would be a lighted match.)

Final conclusion: I never saw the "melted" parts even though I asked. Car was repaired to perfection. Per invoice all soft fuel system components were replaced for a total of $9K in labor/parts...my cost was zero.

Roberga's post makes perfect sense in this context because just before the problem, the tank had been a bit low and there were some funny noises at the front of the car just after turning the key but before cranking the starter. Only major thing there would be fuel pump.

What a way to treat a first time new owner of a $130k car.

Zed
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 AM
va122
Drifting

**** I put just enough fuel to cover 3 laps for a TT!! I sputter into the pits.

9k is not worth .5s. Wait i paid more for that via suspension..
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Glad that's all it was Jerry. Sorry you missed the after noon.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Probably best I missed the afternoon runs. I was tired from the past three days and had a 4 hour drive afterwards, and my legs were sore. I have the car back. new fuel lines and everything. Kings Porsche Service ! free plug for them guys!

If you ever have low "10 PSI" fuel pressure at the test port next to the filter. check your fuel lines at the fuel pump. Appears to be a problem if you run your car low on fuel, like I do.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Just a quick pic. since were all so visual.

Last edited by Jetmech; 03-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: car ran out of gas, now won't start.