Sponsored by:

**** on Martin Bishop's car sale thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I guess I aint going to sell my car soon : ).
I love that pic! Damnit if my car doesn't sell by end of aug i might have to join you at NCRC.

It's a shame to see some of these cars sell below $50k. Those sellers are unfortunately being taken advantage of. The relative value is amazing. Call me stubborn but mine will remain in the stable rather than be given away to someone who thinks taking a GT3 to the track is "abuse".

Damn the torpedoes - so much for cup car i rather keep my GT3 and race an arrive-and-drive SRF!

Holger's comments are right on the mark.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

I am not going to hide the fact that this car has been to the track a couple times. I feel those people who try to hide the facts are not something I would like to buy anything from. It is a good car, has a warranty until 2012. I did not think I would be selling the car, but selling anything right now is a Royal PIA. You would think a price of $48K for a car that was $66K a year ago, has a LWFW new clutch, and warranty would be a no brainer. In the last few months before putting it up for sale I put $6K into the car in the LWFW warranty etc. I have documentation from the bank that they will release the title free and clear for $48K. They have extended the offer until Aug 5th, but will not extend anymore.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM
AJM54GT3
Advanced

Default No sale

I agree with the previous poste. I am no stranger to racing and have raced many seasons with NASA in Spec E30. However, this has given me an appreciation for the abuse a car suffers when driven at the limit lap after lap. I looked very hard at this car and decided to buy a much more expensive 6GT3 within the week that did not have the track history. The track pictures and the picture of the dirty carpet and dislodged drivers foot-well panel really put me off. I love to drive them hard and care for them just as hard. This car looks unloved in the pictures.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Join up Dave at ncrc- we always have a great time : ). Mike
Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Going to the track does not have to mean abused. I've ran over 20 time trials/DEs with a car that I added 60k miles to, untouched factory motor, had 210k miles at the time of me selling it... I admit some of the pictures of this car make it seem it wasn't taken care of the best, but when it comes down to it, they were only minor cosmetic issues.

On the other hand, as the delta between a very clean example of a GT3 and something like this particular car gets smaller, the incentive to accept the risks gets smaller too. For me it was the "unusual" circumstances that made me shy away, but only because there are currently multiple GT3s for less than $50k. Houses and new cars aren't the only things that took a hit with the economy as of late...
Old 08-02-2009, 02:37 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Sent you a PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

it's not hard to sell a car. i sold 3 996gt3 in last 2 months. each one took less than a day. there is a mkt price. for example a car i know since day one was sold at $49,000 with 4.0 RP, guard LSD, new rotors, new pads, new tires, new windshield, new clr bra. never accident, never painted. gt3 seats. new lwfw...

here is an advice to sellers, seeling price is the price that sells, not the price you think will sell.
to buyers, get the money READY. and i do mean ready. i would hate to wait for buyer to get financing ready.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Bishop
I am not going to hide the fact that this car has been to the track a couple times. I feel those people who try to hide the facts are not something I would like to buy anything from.
I do not consider it "hiding or lying". I just consider it as "marketing". If someone asks you if the car had been on a track, then you would say so.

I had a GT3 down shift while running next to me. The only problem is that he caught first gear instead of third. The engine may have hit 10,000+ rpm.

Then I've seen six GT3s do this (and it doesn't show up on CarFax since it isn't covered on personal auto polices):

Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Accident in an autoX track?? (the red GT3, I mean..)
Old 08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Then I've seen six GT3s do this (and it doesn't show up on CarFax since it isn't covered on personal auto polices):

WTF? How is that happened^^?? Looks like they ran into each other in a parking lot.

I noticed quite a few red GT3s has stories behind it.

I do not consider it "hiding or lying". I just consider it as "marketing". If someone asks you if the car had been on a track, then you would say so.

I had a GT3 down shift while running next to me. The only problem is that he caught first gear instead of third. The engine may have hit 10,000+ rpm.
Btw, you can check the type 2 rev counts in a DME print out. A small fee to pay if you wanna save $$$.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
WTF? How is that happened^^?? Looks like they ran into each other in a parking lot.

I noticed quite a few red GT3s has stories behind it.

Btw, you can check the type 2 rev counts in a DME print out. Just saying because you said you're worry about over-revved cars.

Yes, that was at an autocross in Portland. The owner let a friend drive the car and he lost control. He hit a few cars in the pit. It was a combination of inexperience and poor track layout as I understand.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:49 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Yes, that was at an autocross in Portland. The owner let a friend drive the car and he lost control. He hit a few cars in the pit. It was a combination of inexperience and poor track layout as I understand.
It did happen in Portland in an autocross. But a guy is supposed to successfully negotiate a course regardless of the layout.

The first car was wrecked at Road Atlanta. The repair is only $35K. This is the second GT3 that he has wrecked. The first one was totaled.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Not sure what your point is here. Gotta do your due diligence with any car. For example, the botched down shift you describe would show up as a TypeII over rev in a PPI if you're worried about that. And CarFax is not a sure thing even if a car has not been damaged on the track.
But, that's the great thing about people that post their for sale cars on RL. Typically they are known by someone(or many) on the board that can give a reference, especially with GT3's since there are relatively few of them around and the enthusiast community is a closer knit group.
For example, Holger and 171's GT3s, are well maintained, excellent examples even though they've been to the track a few times. Many folks know these cars and if there was a major track incident, believe me, we would know about it, and it would be foolish for them to post on RL and not reveal the history.

So "different horses", if you want a pristine, garage queen, that's fine and there will be a market price for that. If you want a well sorted track/occasional driver, that has it's price point as well. Nothing wrong with either.
My advice would be, if you have any inclination of going to the track, even a few times a year, get one that is already setup for the track - you'll save yourself a lot of $$.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjb
Many folks know these cars and if there was a major track incident, believe me, we would know about it, and it would be foolish for them to post on RL and not reveal the history.
That is great. I am now sure that you know the owner that wrecked the two GT3's? And the red car?

Originally Posted by mjb
My advice would be, if you have any inclination of going to the track, even a few times a year, get one that is already setup for the track - you'll save yourself a lot of $$.
I appreciate your courteous advice. I've only had a competitive road race license for 18 years so I know many people have much more experience than I do.

What lap times do you post at Laguna Seca and Sonoma?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

I went from 5 to 2 shift at thill with Mooty behind me. Blew my pp/clutch assembly. Just had the Guard 80/80 LSD done prior it was an awesome 1st session til the 2nd session : (. Mike

Quick Reply: **** on Martin Bishop's car sale thread