Since selling the GT3 here's what I have been up to.......UPDATE 10/26

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Since selling the GT3 here's what I have been up to.......UPDATE 10/26

Spec Boxster!!!!!!

After many talks with John (mooty) I finally pulled the trigger on getting going on a spec boxster. My target is to have the car done with the end of the month and get at least 2 weekends of testing in before the PCA race at CMP Halloween weekend.

Here's some pics documenting the last 2 weeks of ownership. I am finally done with everything I am going to do and now it gets shipped off to Greg at 3G Motorsports to get the rest done.

A little about the car:
1999 Boxster
2.5L 201hp (factory claim)
Arctic Silver
Weight when done (2650 with driver and gear!)

Enjoy!
Attached Images              

Last edited by LVDell; 10-26-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

And if you have ever wondered what a 2.5L Boxster motor sounds like with just straight pipes off the motor.......

VIDEO LINK
Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

So what did the donor run you, and what labor did you perform? Looks like a lot of lightening work through pulling stuff off the car. That is fun work. What work does the shop now perform?

At the end of the day, what is your investment in the car (estimated) prior to the first race? Testing included.

Thanks Del, cool project!!!

Last edited by christallon; 08-05-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Looks like it's ready to drive now Dell cept u got to put some kind of clamp to turn the steering wheel : ). Driven Mooty's bsr for a few laps- very neutral and the 5 speed matches well with the hp. Donor car + 25-30k is the target for bsr. Mooty will chime in : ). Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you started with a very clean car. Great project and keep us posted. Congrats!!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Very cool Dell! Don't post any track pics though because some people won't buy it down the road when you come back to the GT3 fold. They'll want a pristine BSR that hasn't seen any track time.

I keep thinking about tracking a cheaper car - one where I won't cry if I fly into a wall. I'll be buying a trailer by the end of the year no matter what so I might be looking into this BSR thing more.

Hmmmm.......

Keep the pics and progress reports coming!

Cheers,
Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Lookin' good Dell.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Yet another challenge.

Looks like a good start.

Let me know if you need any of the suspension parts that Greg took out of my car. (I have no idea what works for a 'spec Boxster and what doesn't)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICEEE...

Dell , how prominent is the spec box class for the east coast, coming along? Greg and 3g are top notch, when I decide to get a damn race car they will def. be doing it! Hope all is well man..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
..My target is to have the car done with the end of the month and get at least 2 weekends of testing in before the PCA race at CMP Halloween weekend.
testing....?
i tested my at PCA race, and got pole both days...
that's the best test
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
V... I'll be buying a trailer by the end of the year no matter what so I might be looking into this BSR thing more.

Cheers,
i resisted trailering. but oh they are so so nice. in fact i drive the whole rig taking mia to school. EVERYONE let me through first. of course, you all know i am nuts.

dell, more pix.... pls.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:02 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Looks u got enuf room for my 2nd set of rims for next year Mooty : ). Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by christallon
So what did the donor run you, and what labor did you perform? Looks like a lot of lightening work through pulling stuff off the car. That is fun work. What work does the shop now perform?

At the end of the day, what is your investment in the car (estimated) prior to the first race? Testing included.

Thanks Del, cool project!!!
Thanks! the investment can range wildly depending on how far you take it, how much your donor car is, and how much more you do yourself. On the low side you could be into the car all in (donor and build) for as little as low 20's. That is taking into account a cheap donor and doing most everything yourself (minus the cage). On the high end, you could spend as much as 40-45K with having a shop do the entire build and all you do is give them a donor car. Donor cars range from a little as 7 or 8K for a high mile 97 to as much as 15-18K for a low mile 99. I will probably be into the car for about 30-35K depending on how much I do and how much Greg does. Mine will be the first in the shop so I'll be the "build sheet" for the rest of Greg's clients.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Looks like it's ready to drive now Dell cept u got to put some kind of clamp to turn the steering wheel : ). Driven Mooty's bsr for a few laps- very neutral and the 5 speed matches well with the hp. Donor car + 25-30k is the target for bsr. Mooty will chime in : ). Mike
I have a vise grip since it weighs less than a standard wheel

Originally Posted by CWay27
Looks like you started with a very clean car. Great project and keep us posted. Congrats!!
Will do, thanks for the props!

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Very cool Dell! Don't post any track pics though because some people won't buy it down the road when you come back to the GT3 fold. They'll want a pristine BSR that hasn't seen any track time.

I keep thinking about tracking a cheaper car - one where I won't cry if I fly into a wall. I'll be buying a trailer by the end of the year no matter what so I might be looking into this BSR thing more.

Hmmmm.......

Keep the pics and progress reports coming!

Cheers,
Pics will continue to be posted so y'all can see the progress. Funny about the tracking!

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Lookin' good Dell.
Thanks Chris!

Originally Posted by Tom N
Yet another challenge.

Looks like a good start.

Let me know if you need any of the suspension parts that Greg took out of my car. (I have no idea what works for a 'spec Boxster and what doesn't)
Will do Tom, I have to talk to Greg and see what we need and what we can use.

Originally Posted by iLLM3
NICEEE...

Dell , how prominent is the spec box class for the east coast, coming along? Greg and 3g are top notch, when I decide to get a damn race car they will def. be doing it! Hope all is well man..
I have been with Greg from the beginning and ever before he was on his own and I wouldn't trust anybody more with my life on track. Great at what he does and as well a great friend!

Originally Posted by mooty
testing....?
i tested my at PCA race, and got pole both days...
that's the best test
You are crazy with a capital K!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

So Mooty, the GMC is to replace the Cayenne GTS, eh?! Did you try to tow the trailer w/ the GTS?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:16 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Spec Boxster!!!!!!

After many talks with John (mooty) I finally pulled the trigger on getting going on a spec boxster. My target is to have the car done with the end of the month and get at least 2 weekends of testing in before the PCA race at CMP Halloween weekend.

Here's some pics documenting the last 2 weeks of ownership. I am finally done with everything I am going to do and now it gets shipped off to Greg at 3G Motorsports to get the rest done.

A little about the car:
1999 Boxster
2.5L 201hp (factory claim)
Arctic Silver
Weight when done (2650 with driver and gear!)

Enjoy!
Nice, looks like a very clean donor.

Dell, are you doing some of the wrenching or farming out?

Quick Reply: Since selling the GT3 here's what I have been up to.......UPDATE 10/26