Sponsored by:

Horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Horn

My horn stopped working so I checked the B3 25 amp fuse and it is still good. When I press the horn I can hear the relay clicking. So with that, I assume that the horn itself went bad.

I was trying to track down the location of the horn(s). From the pet, it looks like there are two. Both going at the same time seems strange, unless one went dead a long time ago and I never noticed it.

Where are the horns installed?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yup, this is common. They are buggers to get to. Located under the car (easy to see on a lift) between the front wheels. But they suckith to reach. Replace them with a quality piece if you go though the trouble of removing them. (Access through a hole in the flat bottom area of the bumper more to the passenger side/center).
Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Cool. So there are two of them and they are junk. What are people replacing them with?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:02 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think it's the quality of the horn but the location of it. It is just too close/exposed to the ground and water can splash into too easily. There are 4 square-ish holes underneath the bumper, the one closest to the passenger side behind the outside temp gauge sensor. One of mine was dead since new so it was replaced under warranty. But I think they are about $30 each.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even though the relay is making a sound it might not be sending voltage to the horns...the only real way to tell is to check voltage at the horn itself when the horn button is pressed...if the horns are in series (not likely) then if one goes bad neither will work...seems odd that both would go bad so I would check for voltage at the horns first...good luck
Old 11-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
even though the relay is making a sound it might not be sending voltage to the horns...the only real way to tell is to check voltage at the horn itself when the horn button is pressed...if the horns are in series (not likely) then if one goes bad neither will work...seems odd that both would go bad so I would check for voltage at the horns first...good luck
Good point Chuck. I remember thinking the horn was pretty wimpy sounding, so my guess is it only had one functionality horn working. Next time the car is on the lift I'll take a look.

Thanks Guys!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Yup, this is common. They are buggers to get to. Located under the car (easy to see on a lift) between the front wheels. But they suckith to reach. Replace them with a quality piece if you go though the trouble of removing them. (Access through a hole in the flat bottom area of the bumper more to the passenger side/center).
Damn, I gotta check on mine first thing tonight. Haven't used a horn for ages now.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Cool. So there are two of them and they are junk. What are people replacing them with?
http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/sear...rrivals&page=1

I have installed nearly all of these. You cant go wrong with any.

Then again... I have a set of these on my tow rig... http://trainhorns.net/
So I may be a little nuts.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael B.
buggers to get at? You ain't kidding. I ended up removing the front bumper and one of the air damns to get at the bracket. Then I took the horn bracket off to be able to easily get to horns. Both horns turned about being shot.

Attachment 400863

Attachment 400864

Last edited by Rob in VA; 02-23-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

LOL! Thanks for the confirmation. It makes my evening! Hope you put in some good ones.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:52 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Good time to put screens in front of the radiators, if you haven't done that yet.

Quick Reply: Horn