Sponsored by:

Front brakes setup / configuration

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Front brakes setup / configuration

This year my friend and I, will be running GT3's.
GT3 MkI track only
> on OEM rotors with RS-14 pads
GT3 MkII Cup track only
> on Cup rotors with RS-19

Due to cracked rotors, we need to renew our setup and
are looking for input on the best setup, still maintaining std. calipers

- best pads?
- best rotors?
- floating rotors?

Thx!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone recently asked a similar questions here...

This is what is on my car and works so good that at my last track outing the car stopped so well that it spun my front tire on the rim.. 1/2 around the rim in a day!!

2 Piece Brembo Floating Hat.. Increased Diameter Rears. Stock Calipers with SS Brake Lines.
Pads are Pagid RS32... First tie with those and they were good. On previous cars I've used and really liked Hawk DTC 60 & 70 for track duty.
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

There are many choices, depending on what you want to spend. The cheapest are ATE Cayenne rotors for about $120 each. DeMan rotors are about $330 each. PFC are $550 (approx) with new rings $330 thereafter, or $1000 with $550 for replacement rings depending on what type you want. Brembos are close to $2k, I think, with replacements (I don't know). GiroDiscs look very very built, and are closer to the expensive side of the spectrum. Check out the Rennlist for vendors. The main difference between the cheapest and most expensive is weight. I don't know how longevity compares, but I'd expect the more expensive to last longer. I've used PFC, DeMan and now have Cayenne mounted and will try them in a few weeks for the first time. I don't know if I'll notice the weight difference.
Pads...some use PFC, 97-01-06 or Pagid Black or yellow. Pagid blacks and PFC 01s have great bite, and are harder on rotors. Pagid yellow and PFC 06 are enduro pads and last longer, and have adequate bite for my needs.
What performance characteristics do you want? How much do you want to spend?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 007DT
...the car stopped so well that it spun my front tire on the rim.. 1/2 around the rim in a day!!
for real?

Dave, the setup you have is what I am after. I just haven't gotten around to get the part numbers for those rotors set....
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Given the fact that almost any brake set up will lock the brakes, which would provide maximum torque between the wheel and the tire, the fact that your tire rotated on the wheel is more of an indication that there was excess lubricant applied when the tire was mounted, than a testament to the "power"of the brakes.
The difference between a "good" brake set up and a "bad" one is not the ability to stop the wheel from rotating in absolute terms. It has more to do with the ability to modulate up to the limit of lock up, its ability to dissipate heat, to function well under a range of temps, to last a long time, to weigh less, to cost less, to respond to pressure in a relatively constant way in different temp ranges, the consistency of "bite" and "release" etc. A tire with better grip will also be more likely to rotate, again contributing to the torque between the wheel and the tire.
To prevent tire rotation on the wheel, a topic discussed on RL, many people recommend a certain type of hairspray to be used as a mounting lubricant, believe it or not. Check search for more details.

Having said all of this, I believe the Brembo brake kit is one of the best in all of the criteria listed above, with the exception of cost.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:54 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
for real?

Dave, the setup you have is what I am after. I just haven't gotten around to get the part numbers for those rotors set....
Yep.. Both Front tires rotated 1/2 around.

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Given the fact that almost any brake set up will lock the brakes, which would provide maximum torque between the wheel and the tire, the fact that your tire rotated on the wheel is more of an indication that there was excess lubricant applied when the tire was mounted, than a testament to the "power"of the brakes.
The difference between a "good" brake set up and a "bad" one is not the ability to stop the wheel from rotating in absolute terms. It has more to do with the ability to modulate up to the limit of lock up, its ability to dissipate heat, to function well under a range of temps, to last a long time, to weigh less, to cost less, to respond to pressure in a relatively constant way in different temp ranges, the consistency of "bite" and "release" etc. A tire with better grip will also be more likely to rotate, again contributing to the torque between the wheel and the tire.
To prevent tire rotation on the wheel, a topic discussed on RL, many people recommend a certain type of hairspray to be used as a mounting lubricant, believe it or not. Check search for more details.

Having said all of this, I believe the Brembo brake kit is one of the best in all of the criteria listed above, with the exception of cost.
This was the conclusion that my tire shop thought too. The tires had only been on for about 4 days. This is good info though, they claimed that hey had to use so much lubricant to get the tire on that it must not've been 100% dry. That said do you think I should have them RE-Mount the fronts with Aqua-Net.? Or should I be OK???

Whether or not the rotation of the tires was caused by the brakes or the lube.. These things damn near detach your retinas upon braking.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

The only downside of the tire rotation on the wheels is that they will not be accurately balanced. Some people don't even balance their race tires for that reason. If you don't feel vibration at high speeds, then I'd forget it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering all the rubber strings that get on the inside of my wheels after one track day....I'm not convinced balancing provides any benefit on track wheels....ever.

Well....maybe it would tell me if the tire was made wrong if it needed a ton of weight to balance it.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
007DT
Drifting

I could tell that they were out of balance once off the track... ie. maintaining a speed on the highway of about 65-80mph the steering wheel shook like hell. That is when I really noticed it and brought the car by my shop.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

My kuhmos rotated around the wheel.
Never noticed on the track but highway driving steering wheel vibrates. Never did nething about it since at the track it wasn't noticeable. I'll do the aquanet next time. Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The steering wheel shaking could be just a result of track rubber stuck everywhere. I clean both inside & outside of the wheels after a track day.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:28 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Serge944
The steering wheel shaking could be just a result of track rubber stuck everywhere. I clean both inside & outside of the wheels after a track day.
Nope moved the weights to the other side... They were off 2.5 OZ we also marked the tires & Valve stem. They rotated.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Mpsc's never had issue with steering vibrating but since kuhmo's which are way grippier it vibrated. Mike
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

We finally went for Giro Disc with Pagid RS29 on both cars

Quick Reply: Front brakes setup / configuration