Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caught a nail in the rear PS-2.. what to do.. ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Caught a nail in the rear PS-2.. what to do.. ?!

Probably from the gravel area of the parking lot from today's autoX.. the tire is still in pretty good shape.. I know most here will say no to tracking a patched tire.. so patch it up and use it as street / autoX tire only? (but that would mean I need a set of new wheels.. which is not quite in the budget right now.. )

Is it so bad to run a patched tire at track even if it is at the center? (I guess the answer will be why chance it..)

If I get a new tire, I wonder if I can get just one.. (because one would then have more tread, maybe just slightly, cause from the pic, you can see that the tire looks pretty new)

Decision, decision...
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If they will never see the track (street only), then get it repaired. If they will go anywhere near a track, replace BOTH rears.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, right or wrong, I have put a lot of track miles on repaired tires. If it is a small hole, away form the sidewall, such as this one appears, and if it is repaired properly with a plug/patch from the inside, it will be fine. Actually, the greater danger of degradation is with street use, where a longer life allows more opportunity for moisture to seep in and impact the steel cords. Of course, at street speeds it makes no difference. Where track tires are used up in a season anyway, I never give up on one from a small hole like this.

Last edited by elh0102; 04-18-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Dell,

You think that both needs to be replaced because otherwise the diameter between the 2 tires won't be the same, is that the reason??
Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

patch inside should be fine. No plug.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cfjan
Dell,

You think that both needs to be replaced because otherwise the diameter between the 2 tires won't be the same, is that the reason??
Correct. I'd get a tire depth gauge and see where it's at. They come from the factory at 10/32".

Originally Posted by elh0102
Well, right or wrong, I have put a lot of track miles on repaired tires. If it is a small hole, away form the sidewall, such as this one appears, and if it is repaired properly with a plug/patch from the inside, it will be fine. Actually, the greater danger of degradation is with street use, where a longer life allows more opportunity for moisture to seep in and impact the steel cords. Of course, at street speeds it makes no difference. Where track tires are used up in a season anyway, I never give on one from a small hole like this.
Your life not mine. Last thing I want is a patch letting go at almost 150mph through the front kink at VIR.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Your life not mine. Last thing I want is a patch letting go at almost 150mph through the front kink at VIR.
I've got to side with Dell on this one... I also agree that replacing both rear tires is a smart idea from a tread/wear balance perspective.

-Blake
Old 04-18-2010, 07:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Blake, a simple tread depth measurement will determine that. I can speak form experience. I replaced a single rear tire on the GT3 (PS2) and there was a horrible "dive" under braking. We double and triple check the alignment and everything was perfect. For ***** and giggles we put another new rear tire on the other side and the problem disappeared. Had no idea that different tread depth tires could have that much of an impact.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:11 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spot on Dell, and it makes sense... Great advice. Enjoy that 996 Turbo!

-Blake
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cfjan,

Take the nail in stride, have the tire patched inside/out properly when dismounted, and then use the rears as street tires.

Could you track a patched tire? Sure. Could the patched tire leak, shred the sidewall, and cause a nice spin at 90 mph? Sure. Why even chance it with others on the circuit with you?

If you like the PS2 which is a terrific street tire with decent track capabilities, then just buy 2 new rears and keep the old ones around as spares (which you'll never use LOL).

Alternatively, you can use this 'opportunity' to get another set of wheels with Cups or HooHoos... and a trailer... and a tow vehicle... and... well, you get the idea. Screw the budget.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A plug and patch will reduce the tires capability by 10%. A 190 mph tire will only be O.K. up 171 mph.
THe most likely problem you might have is the repair glue gets hot and melts and you loose pressure out the nail hole. If you are paying close attention to grip as you drive then you will feel the problem before it get really bad. A corner or two with 25 lbs of air pressure in one tire will be felt by most drivers of this forum. That type of flat is not the first step to a blow out. I would even track it but watch it closely. On the street no problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Alternatively, you can use this 'opportunity' to get another set of wheels with Cups or HooHoos... and a trailer... and a tow vehicle... and... well, you get the idea. Screw the budget.
Bad Randy!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Dell, your point is well taken. The plug patch to which I referred, is a combination of a patch that is glued inside, and from which a plug extends, all in one piece. Although nothing is impossible, I have never heard of one failing. If it did, I can't imagine it doing so in such a manner that could be described as a blowout. I've had three tires go down on me on track at VIR. All were without any previous damage or repair, and none caused any loss of control. In the event of a plug/patch failure, the result would be similar. Certainly, replacing a tire with any damage, regardless of how minor, is the more prudent course.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

^I had it patched inside and at thill though tire didn't explode on me the patch glue came unglued and lost air so I wouldn't recommend it. Also another option that if u buy from tirerack just measure the goodtire tread depth and have tirerack shave them down to your good tire. They have tire shaving services. Just a thought. Mike
Old 04-18-2010, 11:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I got a set if ps2 2000 miles street miles. Maybe less than that. 800?
U know u need them sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Caught a nail in the rear PS-2.. what to do.. ?!