Insurance Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
Blake would you be able to share the math on how a $21K loss would still be break even financially if you had insurance? Thanks
usually DE insurance has a very high deductible.
10k 20k is pretty common.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

10-20K is more in line with RACE insurance not DE insurance.

The PCA sponsored track insurance is a deductible of 10% of the claim total with a $2K min and $5K max. The policy is roughly 6.5% of the stated value of the insurance.

So....for a GT3 with a value of 65K you are looking at about $425 for the weekend. Plan on your claim being 5K for the worst case so if you total your car you are out $5,425 of your stated value of 65K.

If you did 10 events in the course of a year, you would spend $4250 and if you totalled it on that last event, you spent $9,250 for the claim if the car was totalled.

**PERSONALLY, I SELF INSURE. IF I CAN'T AFFORD TO WALK AWAY FROM THE TOTALING OF MY CAR THEN I DON'T PLAY, SIMPLE AS THAT**
Old 05-04-2010, 01:32 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that the PCA is now involved in DE Insurance. When I looked back in 2008, there were only a few options - and the options available had very high deductibles. A two year policy for DE was going to cost me $10K plus a $10K deductible (hence my $21K "wash" comment). I had contacted someone (Chris Maume???) on Rennlist who was selling a new type of policy...

I'll look into the PCA option, though will probably still self insure...

-Blake
Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by blake
Glad to hear that the PCA is now involved in DE Insurance. When I looked back in 2008, there were only a few options - and the options available had very high deductibles. A two year policy for DE was going to cost me $10K plus a $10K deductible (hence my $21K "wash" comment). I had contacted someone (Chris Maume???) on Rennlist who was selling a new type of policy...

I'll look into the PCA option, though will probably still self insure...

-Blake
I bought one of the policies from Chris Maume when he was in business. IIRC, it was about $2500 for the policy and a ded. of about 5K. Thank God I never needed it
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Mentioned this on a different thread a while back, but State Farm confirmed that I AM covered for DE events. Got it in writing from my agent to be sure. Said something about NC having specific laws meaning they could not exclude coverage.
Correct, we remain covered in NC for non-competitive DE events. My insurance agent is my old college roommate and I stay close to this. But all is not perfect. If you have a track-related claim, your company will probably cancel your policy along with paying your claim, and there is no assurance of how you will be treated by the next company. When I started the track stuff, I decided I would take the chance of allowing myself one claim. If that should happen, I would then quit, or consider myself self-insured from then on, probably with a less expensive car.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by elh0102
Correct, we remain covered in NC for non-competitive DE events.
This is good to know. My policy was just renewed, and I have asked for a full hardcopy to be mailed to me. Why they can’t be made available online is beyond me when every other policy document is, but whatever.

When I started the track stuff, I decided I would take the chance of allowing myself one claim. If that should happen, I would then quit, or consider myself self-insured from then on, probably with a less expensive car.
I’d likely handle a claim the same way.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Correct, we remain covered in NC for non-competitive DE events. My insurance agent is my old college roommate and I stay close to this. But all is not perfect. If you have a track-related claim, your company will probably cancel your policy along with paying your claim, and there is no assurance of how you will be treated by the next company. When I started the track stuff, I decided I would take the chance of allowing myself one claim. If that should happen, I would then quit, or consider myself self-insured from then on, probably with a less expensive car.
Ed, the only problem with this is not only do you run the risk of your policy being terminated (then it's very tough to get a new policy at a reasonable rate) but North Carolina law mandates that an insurer add a surchargee to your rate according to the following table based on how many points you have on record:

One 25%
Two 45%
Three 65%
Four 90%
Five 120%
Six 150%
Seven 180%
Eight 220%
Nine 260%
Ten 300%
Eleven 350%
Twelve 400%

And in a situation like a GT3 being totalled on track (or even a small indicent) you would get hammered with 3 Points since each at-fault accident that results in property damage of $ 3000 or more earns 3 points. If it is less than $3000 then it is 2 points for 1800-2999 and 1 point for <1800. I have no doubt that nobody in the right mind would claim anything under $3000

So not only would your rates go up but then a surcharge of 65% would be tacked on. This is why track insurance is why I either self-insure or obtain track insurance. I would NEVER claim this on my policy.

Remember, the 65% is also not for just that one car......it applies to all cars and all drivers in the household (wife, kids, etc).
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Ed, the only problem with this is not only do you run the risk of your policy being terminated (then it's very tough to get a new policy at a reasonable rate) but North Carolina law mandates that an insurer add a surchargee to your rate according to the following table based on how many points you have on record:

One 25%
Two 45%
Three 65%
Four 90%
Five 120%
Six 150%
Seven 180%
Eight 220%
Nine 260%
Ten 300%
Eleven 350%
Twelve 400%

And in a situation like a GT3 being totalled on track (or even a small indicent) you would get hammered with 3 Points since each at-fault accident that results in property damage of $ 3000 or more earns 3 points. If it is less than $3000 then it is 2 points for 1800-2999 and 1 point for <1800. I have no doubt that nobody in the right mind would claim anything under $3000

So not only would your rates go up but then a surcharge of 65% would be tacked on. This is why track insurance is why I either self-insure or obtain track insurance. I would NEVER claim this on my policy.

Remember, the 65% is also not for just that one car......it applies to all cars and all drivers in the household (wife, kids, etc).
Yikes! The state can mandate what you pay on private property?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marv
Yikes! The state can mandate what you pay on private property?
If it is a claim paid by the insurance company, makes no difference where it happened, the company can add the points. This is not to be confused with DMV points, which are assessed against the driver, not the car. I think this is where private property can be a factor.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ed, drivers license points also factor into that equation. Whether it is an accident or a speeding ticket, in NC you will pay
Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

One 25%
Two 45%
Three 65%
Four 90%
Five 120%
Six 150%
Seven 180%
Eight 220%
Nine 260%
Ten 300%
Eleven 350%
Twelve 400%

This is pretty close to spot on. When doing your calculations remember that the 65% applies for 3 years though the surcharge gets a bit smaller after each 12 month interval.

North Carolina bureau makes my head spin sometimes they're so completely different than the rest of the states when it comes to insurance. I write insurance rating code and can tell you NC makes my life hell sometimes!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It really sucks. My wife got hit by a gal in the day care parking lot a couple years ago at less than 5 mph. It was VERY minor. Since there was a claim by the other gal against our policy for a small dent in her fender that you could barely see (nothing on our car) our policy got dinged 1 point and since we have 6 vehicles on our policy we ended up paying in one policy renewal what we could have paid for the other lady's fender out of pocket! That stuck with us until this month when it finally was removed from our policy surcharge category.

I had never seen anything like this before (being from Texas) so I called USAA when my policy spiked several years ago after the incident. I was then given the lecture on how NC collects some serious cash through the point system.

I don't agree with it one bit (the property damage claim part). I do agree that you should be penalized for moving violations (speeding, DWI, school zone, etc) but not and ACCIDENT.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

It really sucks. My wife got hit by a gal in the day care parking lot a couple years ago at less than 5 mph. It was VERY minor. Since there was a claim by the other gal against our policy for a small dent in her fender that you could barely see (nothing on our car) our policy got dinged 1 point and since we have 6 vehicles on our policy we ended up paying in one policy renewal what we could have paid for the other lady's fender out of pocket! That stuck with us until this month when it finally was removed from our policy surcharge category.

I had never seen anything like this before (being from Texas) so I called USAA when my policy spiked several years ago after the incident. I was then given the lecture on how NC collects some serious cash through the point system.

I don't agree with it one bit (the property damage claim part). I do agree that you should be penalized for moving violations (speeding, DWI, school zone, etc) but not and ACCIDENT.
We'll sell you Accident forgiveness now Think of it...insurance for your insurance. If you buy the coverage then get in an accident your rates won't go up. Just another way to get our hands in your pockets. Sometimes I really resent teling people I work for an insurance company....but it pays the bills.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Well that's a new one! Insurance for insurance? What's next.....insurance for your accident forgiveness insurance?

By the way, how is everything going? My wife asked about y'all recently. Y'all are always in our thoughts
Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Well that's a new one! Insurance for insurance? What's next.....insurance for your accident forgiveness insurance?

By the way, how is everything going? My wife asked about y'all recently. Y'all are always in our thoughts
Thank you for that. She's doing very very well. Spirits are back 100%, blood counts have been looking good and her hair is even long enough that she's somewhat happy with it now. All things positive at this point.

Andy

Quick Reply: Insurance Woes