Sponsored by:

Insurance Woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 998 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Insurance Woes

I just got done talking with my State Farm rep and it looks like the squeeze is on.

I asked about non-timed events (i.e., Drivers Ed) coverage and what used to be okay with the underwriter appears to be taboo now. Essentially, if I so much as push it onto a track they would cancel my policy.

The jury is still out on whether they would would wave that cancelation if I specifically got track insurance. The underwriter wanted to say no off the bat, but some prodding suggests that they would look further.

The problem is that they look at you as a "risk taker" if you race your car. I also have inside information that insurance companies also consider (if they can stumble across the information) other outside activities that are construed as risky. Examples are flying, skydiving, extreme sports, etc. The theory is that if you engage in activities like those you are likely to push the envelope on your driving style.

I suspect that all companies are heading this direction and it is just a matter of time before a dual purpose (track and road) use is going to be difficult if not impossible to get at reasonable prices.

I am wondering what others are doing?

As a further rant, it looks like the day is also getting closer when (at least) all new vehicles will be black boxed and insurance companies will want access to that data. There is a House bill pending to do something like that right now. Some insurance companies already offer "discounts" if you surrender that data on demand, but how much longer will it really be a discount rather than a penalty for not participating?

Oh, your car shows a maximum speed of 87 mph last month... Cha-ching... there goes your good driver rate. And you, sir, I see 93 mph! No renewal for you.

I have to wonder if knitting is okay for a pastime or are the needles too sharp?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What cracks me up is I think that those of us that really learn how to drive these cars are actually BETTER drivers on the road and more people could benefit from some DE instruction!

If anything they should be offering discounts for those of us that get proof of HPDE instruction.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
What cracks me up is I think that those of us that really learn how to drive these cars are actually BETTER drivers on the road and more people could benefit from some DE instruction!

If anything they should be offering discounts for those of us that get proof of HPDE instruction.
Couldn't agree more. Having been a street maniac for too many years, I can tell you that my personal experience of tracking a car (GT3) for a few years has given me a whole new outlook on street driving. Situations that ,in the past, that woulidn't go unchallenge are now more humorous if not worse.

This is a perfect example of "group think". Insurance companies would be more profitable , in my opinion, insuring Rennlisters than drivers in my part of the country.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

I know I'm a way better and safer driver doing DE's. Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much you can do about this. I also have State Farm and confirmed I am not covered once my car is on the property of the track. To address this I am getting HDPE coverage by WSIB. Not very happy about this since it adds about $1800 to my expenses this year.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think there is an insurance co that covers you at the track anymore.. It is down to having 2 policies; Street, & Track.

Based on my WSIB that expires in July, I was told that they have more claims than anticipated. In other words its going to become more $$..
Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

I looked into this about 2 years ago when I discovered my carrier had amended the policy provisions (for everyone, not just me) excluding such as DE's 2 years before that. I had an on-track accident in March '05, which they covered, and I was tracking dumb and happy not realizing I was no longer covered. When I discovered this, I went shopping for coverage. I couldn't find anyone still covering DE's.

Unless you're very brave (and/or foolish), the only solution is as noted above, separate track insurance.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks. GEICO initially gave me a quote for my GT3, but then didn't cover me after they discovered I had upgraded seats and a roll cage! I called them and managed to convince them to cover me (I have a good record, dunno if that helped), but it was close.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yeah, DE people are way safer drivers. Just getting on the road after a DE I feel unsafe - dumbasses everywhere & no flagstations
Old 05-01-2010, 03:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Based on my WSIB that expires in July, I was told that they have more claims than anticipated. In other words its going to become more $$..
Doesn't surprise me. I think there is probably plenty of fraud taking place as well as it is an easy way to get out of a track car for top dollar as well as not have it go on your record.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd been dreaming of putting a high-performance Porsche on a race track since I was little kid, and I finally got the chance in 2006 to acquire my 2004 GT3. As it turns out, Allstate (my insurer) excluded "track" driving in my Jan 2007 policy renewal. I chose to self insure, and in July 2008 after 26 track days - put the GT3 into a tire wall at 85 mph.

Total cost of damage = $21K (and it came within inches of being totalled, but the exhaust system took the brunt and saved the engine)

Looking at my quote from 2007 for track insurance, it would have been a wash financially.

All in all, it just plain sucks. I don't race and find the relatively slow speeds of the highway to be much easier to navigate. Clearly, DE folks need a lobbying organization, but I doubt we have the numbers to put something like that together.

-Blake
Old 05-01-2010, 09:24 PM
FLM911
Racer

Mentioned this on a different thread a while back, but State Farm confirmed that I AM covered for DE events. Got it in writing from my agent to be sure. Said something about NC having specific laws meaning they could not exclude coverage.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

I haven't done any comparison shopping, but anyone know how the PCA-sanctioned HPDE insurance compares to others?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PCA insurance is per event and you can get a quote online. If you are only doing a few events in the year this would be the way to go. Since I was doing around 10 events it was much cheaper forme to go with WSIB Motorsports.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

Blake would you be able to share the math on how a $21K loss would still be break even financially if you had insurance? Thanks

Quick Reply: Insurance Woes