Sponsored by:

Tire Clearance Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Tire Clearance Help!

Alright, so I'm taking the Turbo to the track next weekend and mounted up my track wheels and tire:

Turbo Twist Hollows (pic attached) with NT01 rubber (245/40/18 and 315/30/18)

THe problem I have is in the front. There is VERY LITTLE clearance between the tire and the shelf that holds the spring. I assume that shelf (have no idea the real name for that part) is a static piece that does not move on compression or rebound and the tire should increases in size either but the small gap between the two pieces have me wondering if that is safe.

Picture is taken of the front passenger side from underneath the car. Suspension is the X73.

Any advice? Insight? Suggestions?

I have to admit, I'm stumped. Have an email into my race shop as well.

TIA!
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell, I think that's the spring collar on the strut. I have had cars with small clearances there, and never had a problem. I think that normal deflection in the suspension would allow more lateral movement than vertical. Any compression/rebound movement at the hub should be the same at the strut. I bet your race shop contact will have an answer.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How much clearance do you have there?

Can't tell by pic.

Phil
Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Dell,

I'm no race engineer , but that looks like the ginormous lower spring perch on the X73. The X73 has rather large springs up front that, interestingly, aren't concentric with respect to the damper (unlike the rears).

I think the large base diameter of the spring combined with the angle offset are why the lower perch is so large.

How much clearance do you have above the front tire before meeting the lower perch? One inch? Your race rubber is maybe 0.3" taller in radius compared to the OEM 225/40/18... moving you a tad closer, but that relationship shouldn't change since the perch is fixed to the damper.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the fender edge rubbing on the fronts with the wheel turned under compression.

I know your driving , and couple that with a softish spring in a somewhat heavy car with some taller, fatter tires up front...

If this doesn't pan out, you can borrow my 16's off the Lotus for the weekend.

Car looks BAD ****, btw!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
If this doesn't pan out, you can borrow my 16's off the Lotus for the weekend.
...more like if this doesn't pan out I wonder how long it'll take Dell to go GT3 shopping.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AllanJ
...more like if this doesn't pan out I wonder how long it'll take Dell to go GT3 shopping.
If they only had back seats I would have grabbed another over the Turbo in a heartbeat!

Dell,

I'm no race engineer , but that looks like the ginormous lower spring perch on the X73. The X73 has rather large springs up front that, interestingly, aren't concentric with respect to the damper (unlike the rears).
It is ginormous (is that even a word ) See the pic attached. It's not like the coilover in the rear.

I think the large base diameter of the spring combined with the angle offset are why the lower perch is so large.

How much clearance do you have above the front tire before meeting the lower perch? One inch? Your race rubber is maybe 0.3" taller in radius compared to the OEM 225/40/18... moving you a tad closer, but that relationship shouldn't change since the perch is fixed to the damper.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the fender edge rubbing on the fronts with the wheel turned under compression.
I know your driving , and couple that with a softish spring in a somewhat heavy car with some taller, fatter tires up front...
Who me? I'm like a grandma on track

Car looks BAD ****, btw!
Danke

Originally Posted by RollingArt
How much clearance do you have there?

Can't tell by pic.

Phil
Just had a chance to go get a rough measurement. I took various diameter screwdrivers a rolled them over the edge of the tire until I felt one touch. The 5mm diameter one was easy. The 7.5mm one got through easily but did touch the metal softly on the spring shelf.

The problem is the tire is round and the screwdrivers are straight so I have no idea if there is MORE than what I measured.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

5-7 mm should be plenty. You may just get light rub marks on the perches under heavy tire deflection.

I think we've run with less clearance with our rain tires.

Just keep an eye on it. I think you'll be fine.

Phil
Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Wow, that is huge! No more tight GT3 springs. Back to wide-assed cushy turbo springs. How does that Spinal Tap "Big Bottoms" song go again?

ok...being serious for a sec....you should be ok. You've got room for 1/4" of deflection. If you take it easy on your first session and then have a look, you should be able to determine if minor rubbing is occurring.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That's what I'm thinking. I just get very OCD when it comes to tires and brakes

And yes, my big bottom girl is going to show me what she can do. I do like me some curves on my girls

At least I know what I can do in a GT3 in track prep form. Let's see what a stock Turbo can do. I'll report back after the event next weekend.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Sounds good, Dell. Experimenting and playing is fun. I've been seeing what heat cycle #23-#28 is like on my Hoosier R6. Ain't that sticky.

Cheers,
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Let's see what a stock Turbo can do. I'll report back after the event next weekend.
You will be cracking up trying to hussle those GINORMOUS perches around Left Hook.

It will be a blast tracking that TT... the AWD and the power make for some fun.

I'm curious as to what your experience will be up the esses at speed with the X73. No doubt, a marked improvement over the stock setup.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
That's what I'm thinking. I just get very OCD when it comes to tires and brakes

And yes, my big bottom girl is going to show me what she can do. I do like me some curves on my girls

At least I know what I can do in a GT3 in track prep form. Let's see what a stock Turbo can do. I'll report back after the event next weekend.
It was modified like 15 minutes after you bought it...

You're greasing the skids for the lap times you'll be posting.

Last edited by 007DT; 05-14-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: .
Old 05-14-2010, 12:12 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

lmao!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
MrWhite
Advanced

245/40 ist a difficult size to fit w/o rubbing somewhere, I ran into problems with that size, rubbing at front fender edge (where it meets the bumper). That was with a pretty low rideheight. Not sure 255 will work with that strut though.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 007DT
It was modified like 15 minutes after you bought it...

You're greasing the skids for the lap times you'll be posting.
My bad, those smoked side marker lights easily add 5hp!

In all seriousness, I haven't touched the car enginewise like most Turbo guys so the power is totally stock. Haven't changed any suspension bits except for the OEM sport shocks. Other than that, full rubber based suspension and heavy as a ****!

And I don't plan to do ANYTHING to the DME power mapping of this sucker until the factory warranty expires in 2 years. Then.........ALL BETS ARE OFF!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tire Clearance Help!