Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Prep: PMNA, Tarett, Alignment, AIM Data & Dash; BK; Write Up & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2011 Prep: PMNA, Tarett, Alignment, AIM Data & Dash; BK; Write Up & Pics

All work was completed by Greg Jones at 3G Motorsports in Greensboro NC. Among many other projects, Greg / 3G was the shop that did all of the work on Dell's GT3, not to mention he has been a GT engineer for Stevenson MS and most recently for TRG at Daytona.

The work:
  • installed rear Tarett Toe Links (link)
  • installed PMNA monoball rear shock mounts (modified stock spring perches)
  • set up slightly more aggressive track alignment
  • Front Camber; -2.85 degrees Done with shim and the slots in the upper perch
  • Front Toe (Out); 1mm per side
  • Rear Camber; -2.4
  • Rear Toe (In); 1.75mm per side
  • Rake; factory
  • Lowered 10mm
  • Installed tunnel-side BK R-9005 harness belt mounts for driver & passenger (for attaching under seat rails); out-side attachment point is the standard seat belt mount; stock bolt is grade 12 and provides more than adequate security
  • installed AIM MyChron3 (link), EVO4 (link), and mount MyChron3 on steering wheel column. These new AIM bits were tied into my existing SmartyCam
  • install more permanently my GPS antenna at bottom center of front windshield
The EVO4 unit is located under the carpet rear deck, beside the ECU. The USB download cable is located in the center console; clean.

*** I will update with I get the specs; I forgot to get the the print out before I left, and the rest is from memory; will update later

So now I have a slightly more aggressive track alignment, and to hopefully aid in my skill advancement, data for me to review.

Last edited by SH || NC; 02-18-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Updated alignment settings
Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice.

Data acquisition is slowly moving toward the top of my list, and this seems to be one clean option.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:02 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love it - data and cameras are on the to do list
Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice! Data is very helpful. Also, FWIW, I accidentally left my antenna UNDER the hood and found out it is still effective.

-td
Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

Sweet : ). Mike
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Excellent Scott! How your car is always clean? : )

Hope that rear toe is per side and not total; 1.75mm total is too low even with rubber removed. (btw pls post a pic of the rear mounts if you have)

Also about the BK mount I like the mounting position under the rails, but if you (or another driver) put the seat all the way to the back then the lap belts attachment position is too forward in relation to the seat's lap openings.

But as someone told me recently "Of course, EVERYTHING in these cars is a compromise if not going the route of a race car with welded in points"
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I drove up to the race shop yesterday to check out the car before delivery. That AIM display setup is trick! Greg always has the coolest way to install equipment that really looks slick and keep the end user always in the most convenient position.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by FFaust
Nice. Data acquisition is slowly moving toward the top of my list, and this seems to be one clean option.
Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
love it - data and cameras are on the to do list
Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Sweet : ). Mike

Originally Posted by himself
Nice! Data is very helpful. Also, FWIW, I accidentally left my antenna UNDER the hood and found out it is still effective.-td
Yep; was getting my intro course yesterday and while we were in the shop, with the antenna on the underside, I still picked up 8 or 9 satellites

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Excellent Scott! How your car is always clean? : )

Hope that rear toe is per side and not total; 1.75mm total is too low even with rubber removed. (btw pls post a pic of the rear mounts if you have)

Also about the BK mount I like the mounting position under the rails, but if you (or another driver) put the seat all the way to the back then the lap belts attachement position is too forward in relation to the seat's lap openings.

But as someone told me recently "Of course, EVERYTHING in these cars is a compromise if not going the route of a race car with welded in points"
It was of course clean when it arrived at the shop, and stayed indoors the whole time, and Greg's shop is pretty much spotless.

Yep; 1.75mm is per side. Greg and I spoke at length about my abilities, my goals, and my driving style, and put full faith in Greg and his choice of settings; it can be changed if needed after I get some seat time; he also does track support.

Thanks for the tip on the lap belts; what reference document is that? I lost some rear travel using the 9005 mounts, so the seats will never be all the way back; I never ran them at that location anyway on the street or track, so no worries there.

Originally Posted by LVDell
I drove up to the race shop yesterday to check out the car before delivery. That AIM display setup is trick! Greg always has the coolest way to install equipment that really looks slick and keep the end user always in the most convenient position.
+1
Old 02-13-2011, 09:54 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks nice.. I like that Data.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:07 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

It's from schroth
Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, can you post some more pics of your AIM install, in particular, the box and display install? Car going into the shop in the next few weeks for this and we are still trying to sort our various ideas.
Thanks.
PS thanks for the posi-lock connector contact and idea, have them ready to go now...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's from schroth
Thanks, very informative.

BTW, any clues about the avatar? They are always special, but I don't get this one
Old 02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I look forward to seeing this equipment in action, especially the integration with the Smartycam.

Are you running tearoffs on the front glass?

Take lots of pics of that gorgeous interior. Next year your car won't have one.

Dell, if you need help taking the rear seats out of the TT, Scott and I can just make a quick run over and...
Old 02-13-2011, 01:22 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

It's from schroth
Cool, thanks

Originally Posted by IPguy
Scott, can you post some more pics of your AIM install, in particular, the box and display install?
I can't get to the EVO4 box, but I can tell you its mounted to the metal back deck.

Here are some more snaps of the bracket. We bought a spare steering column piece; it was < $40 IIRC.

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
I look forward to seeing this equipment in action, especially the integration with the Smartycam. Are you running tearoffs on the front glass? Take lots of pics of that gorgeous interior. Next year your car won't have one. .
No tear-offs for me right now; there is some wear on the glass so no point; if/when I get a new windshield next year, I'll install some, like yours. Interior is staying put for the foreseeable future!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Cheyne
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice way to attach, they look like out of Premier cell

Quick Reply: 2011 Prep: PMNA, Tarett, Alignment, AIM Data & Dash; BK; Write Up & Pics