Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can A Mk1 GT3 Bumper Fit On A Mk2 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Can A Mk1 GT3 Bumper Fit On A Mk2 GT3?

Yes….. yes it can.

First I wanted to say Thanks to all the GT3 guys who came up and offered assistance and guidance and encouraged me to get back in the car and finish the weekend. Although relatively minor, the episode shook my confidence a good deal. Horizontally Opposed Man, ukrbmw, Fatih, bman, Dell, Tom Arkle,etc.

Now, to answer my thread title question: Yes, yes it can.

I had an off at VIR this weekend. I took a less than ideal line through hog pen, and combined with an over correction, spun off and just barely clipped the inside tire wall. The impact peeled off my front bumper and did a little damage to the driver quarter panel.

This is why data and video are helpful. I thought I knew what happened, but after reviewing the video with Dell, I learned differently.

With Dell’s help, we quickly located a replacement bumper via Greg J. @ 3G Motorsports (link) where I have had previous work done. Greg drove from his shop in Greensboro with the bumper; modified, fitted, and installed the bumper late in the afternoon that same day. Tape covered the gaps at the headlights and near the side indicators that were removed. I cannot say enough good things about my experience; 3G saved my weekend.

The front aluminum bumper support / crash bar was removed in order for it to fit, and I did lose some of my air ducting on the driver’s side that was damaged, but all else was inspected and given the OK to run. No damage to the radiators, and my alignment was still in spec.

I went back out on Saturday, did all 3 sessions, and did 2 of 3 sessions yesterday before packing up and heading home.

The car itself ran great. I noticed little front aero impact, but I was getting elevated coolant temps temps, which I have to assume was from the lack of ducting (verified coolant levels good and no leaks), which in turn prompted me to end my sessions a little early and pull in after ~20min or so with temps ~220*F (on my MyChron dash), which honestly was fine. I was driving about my usual pace

Relatively speaking, I was very fortunate for my own personal safety, the others on track, and I did no damage to the track or tire wall.

The car is home now, washed up from the weekend, ready for the next step; RS bumper with the canted center rad.

"Those who have and those who will...."
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Nice early cup bumper! Keep it!

Glad you are ok.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear but am glad that you are okay.. just think of it as "you got off easy".. (relatively)

The car will be better than ever soon, I am sure.. w/ RS bumper, from top vent, etc, etc.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have to say that Scott showed remarkable restraint and composure and never really got pissed about the incident. Sure, an F bomb or two might have been uttered during the impact but he 100% took it as a learning moment and one that is pretty much a certainty for all of us at one time or another if we do this long enough. He got the new bumper (WAY TO GO 3G MOTORSPORTS!!!!!) installed and was determined to get his butt back out there and learn what went wrong and improve. 5 more 30 minute sessions and I have no doubt he learned a ton!

We'll work on data and video soon and find out ways to improve and well as those areas where he is really kicking ***.

Nicely done this weekend Scott. You were really moving out there hanging with some of the fastest guys of the group!

ps. I'll send you the bill for the permanent impressions you left in my door mistaking it for an "oh ****!" handle
Old 05-23-2011, 02:10 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice to have guys "hooking you up" in a time of need at the track.. I recently cracked a front rotor at Sebring with no spares.. A fellow R-Lister Sharif @ Forged Performance came through with some used ones he had to allow me to finish the weekend.

BTW.. This happened to you because you detailed your front bumper last week..
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Nice early cup bumper! Keep it! Glad you are ok.
Originally Posted by cfjan
Sorry to hear but am glad that you are okay.. just think of it as "you got off easy".. (relatively) The car will be better than ever soon, I am sure.. w/ RS bumper, from top vent, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by LVDell
I have to say that Scott showed remarkable restraint and composure and never really got pissed about the incident. Sure, an F bomb or two might have been uttered during the impact but he 100% took it as a learning moment and one that is pretty much a certainty for all of us at one time or another if we do this long enough. He got the new bumper (WAY TO GO 3G MOTORSPORTS!!!!!) installed and was determined to get his butt back out there and learn what went wrong and improve. 5 more 30 minute sessions and I have no doubt he learned a ton!

We'll work on data and video soon and find out ways to improve and well as those areas where he is really kicking ***.

Nicely done this weekend Scott. You were really moving out there hanging with some of the fastest guys of the group!
Originally Posted by 007DT
Nice to have guys "hooking you up" in a time of need at the track.. I recently cracked a front rotor at Sebring with no spares.. A fellow R-Lister Sharif @ Forged Performance came through with some used ones he had to allow me to finish the weekend.
Thanks all for the positive feedback. I really consider it a freebie; I got off with such little damage and was able to salvage the weekend.

Originally Posted by LVDell
ps. I'll send you the bill for the permanent impressions you left in my door mistaking it for an "oh ****!" handle
You have to post that pic; that was a blast.

Originally Posted by 007DT
BTW.. This happened to you because you detailed your front bumper last week..
I know! A lot of good those screens did me!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SH || NC
You have to post that pic; that was a blast.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2011, 03:31 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It was truly a pleasure meeting you guys in person, great weekend even with the white bumper

That picture is priceless; when Scott told me the story, I could barely visualize it, but the pic definitely collaborates the story, too funny!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed meeting and driving with you guys! And it was great to see Scott rally and get back on track in less than 24hrs!

Originally Posted by FTS
That picture is priceless; when Scott told me the story, I could barely visualize it, but the pic definitely collaborates the story, too funny!
Okay, what gives? Is that Dell coming up to the smoke screen from the blown BMW motor? I was ducking for cover when it happened.... Or just Scott's reaction to Dell's smoothness?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

BAWAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Actually, I just found the video of the BMW. I'll post up in the VIR thread we have over on GT2/3Cup
Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Nordschleifer
Instructor

Sorry to hear about the incident - I know how it feels. For sure you will end up making your car better than before (RS bumper )
I have also found other listers to be very helpful at the track when I had my little incident last year.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:36 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad Scott, and an opportunity for another upgrade
Old 05-25-2011, 01:58 AM
jenk12m
Banned

That just shows what type of guys are on rennlist.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Great to hear that you continued to enjoy the weekend after the incident, that's the spirit!

Quick Reply: Can A Mk1 GT3 Bumper Fit On A Mk2 GT3?