Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of y'all run a Miata on track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Any of y'all run a Miata on track?

Since I have decided that the Turbo is not going to be sold anytime soon and that it really isn't a car I feel like tracking, I decided to get a dedicated track car.

And no, adding a GT3 is not going to happen. If I get another GT3 for the track, it will be a cup.

With that said, the idea of a Miata is really appealing. I have heard nothing but great things about them (i.e, reliability, fun factor, low operating costs, etc). Of course, at fast tracks like VIR, the long straights could really get frustrating. Personally, I don't care, as my favorite part of the track is any spot where you actually turn the wheel

A Miata or a 944 seems to be in the price point I was thinking (<10K all in). There is plenty I can read up on with respect to 944's here on RL but need to get smart on the Miata.

So......any of y'all run a Miata on track? If so, any help would be appreciate. I have no idea what year(s) I would need to get, what items need to be done to get her track worthy, etc, etc, etc..

TIA!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:13 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Please keep me posted, Dell.. I'd be very interested in hearing what you find out.. was told that it is a great way to learn how to drive for sure.. !
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

A few points based on our current build and loads of research and driving a Miata that isn't mine

1) Miata racing is fun because everyone is equal. But driving a Miata at a DE, well, you are in a Miata. Still fun, but you really have to watch your mirrors.

2) If you go this route, joint Mazda motorsports. You get OEM stuff at cost (pretty close).

3) Biggest build costs are suspension and cage, and engine if you want to go that route.

4) You might be able to get a car for under 10K all in, but it'll likely be an OK car, not a front runner. IIRC, the fast/proven Miatas are just under 20. National winners are over 20.

5) 99 is currently the preferred year for spec miata. After that, I think you will be looking at the NA cars from 1994-1997 (1st gen NA with 1.8L).

6) There are lots of race ready 1990-1997 cars out there because of the recent trend to build 1999 cars.

7) Everything is cheap compare to a Porsche.

-td
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plan is working........this is the only way I'll be able to keep up with Dell on track.......
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SH || NC
My plan is working........this is the only way I'll be able to keep up with Dell on track.......

Racing in a spec series with low budget cars would be fun, because it's about the competition. A DE would suck if you are running with fast cars though. I've been to a number of DEs where a Miata guy would have his hand perpetually out the window giving point bys. Then he decided to stop doing that "so he could focus on driving" and a train formed behind him because he got tired of pointing people by. ...then people got pissed off. Not good.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 417 Posts

Dell,

IFF? you aren't going to race Spec Miata then go for it, A winning Spec Miata can cost upwards of $50,000. Get a used Spec Miata and hang a supercharger on it so the straights don't seem so long, run Conti Challenge 15" takes offs which are available for $50. Be sure you have the Spec you get checked out as many have badly bent frames and older cars can have serious rust issues underneath.

Peter
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Is it really that slow? An instructor took me out in his 944 yesterday and he said it only has like 110hps or so, and it was moving pretty quick other than the straights (vs. the likes of GT3RS), and wasn't blocking too many people.. !
Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ

Racing in a spec series with low budget cars would be fun, because it's about the competition. A DE would suck if you are running with fast cars though. I've been to a number of DEs where a Miata guy would have his hand perpetually out the window giving point bys. Then he decided to stop doing that "so he could focus on driving" and a train formed behind him because he got tired of pointing people by. ...then people got pissed off. Not good.
I don't care about running with the fast cars. I just want to have fun.

I am thinking DE's at first and then possibly racing in the near future once I feel like I can run the car with respectable times. With that said, racing is not the end game.....low cost fun at the track is.

To be honest, I don't give a damn about giving a point-by. I think I have a good handle on most of the cars on track in my group as to who is running what times, etc., so I know when and where to give a point for ease of flow. Besides, we run open passing now in the top two run groups.

Running a Miata is no different than running a GT3 or a Boxster, , or a BMW, or whatever car you choose. If you have good traffic management skills then you should never be held up when giving a point and never form a train.

I'd run another spec boxster as I can run times in that car better than most guys in their high hp cars but the cost of entry and setup is too steep.

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Dell,

IFF? you aren't going to race Spec Miata then go for it, A winning Spec Miata can cost upwards of $50,000. Get a used Spec Miata and hang a supercharger on it so the straights don't seem so long, run Conti Challenge 15" takes offs which are available for $50. Be sure you have the Spec you get checked out as many have badly bent frames and older cars can have serious rust issues underneath.

Peter
Not going to race spec pinata. The supercharger sounds very appealing
Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Talk to TR6, he's gone from tracking his RSA to a Miata and is having a blast.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I think you know I have a Spec M, and have raced rather successfully with it.

Lets start by saying these cars are not slow. That is a misconception that I appreciate so very much as I dance around V8 and more exotic machinery weekend & week-out. So forget that.

The 1999 is indeed a great car as himself points out, but with the ever changing rules each different version (early 1.6, mid 1.8, late 1.8) can be the underdog or over-dog season by season. I run a 1994 1.8 that has had great rule years, and bad rule years (when a particular version wins Nationally the rules then get slammed against them the next season - or so it seems). My 1st year I had the car to beat. The next year it was rendered uncompetitive with weight & restrictor plate size reductions. Then they gave me a break for 2011 and viola the car is again more competitive.

But I need to keep in mind that your not wanting to go Spec Racing with one.

If you just want a track car then get the newest Miata you can afford to walk away from. You will want the added zip (or zoom-zoom) if your just going to play with other DE guys. With one caveat: Spec Miatas can be driven really well, and you can drive them so fast that you will never need to give anyone a point by. A street Miata is just not in that same league.

If I were to advise I would say "...Dell, get a Spec Miata that has already been assembled but has been used to have fun too (not just club race like mine). Perhaps one with a passenger seat - or one that is still street registered. BUT definitely buy a Spec Miata not a street Miata. Used Spec M's are just too good of deals to pass up..."
Attached Images      
Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Michael B
...Lets start by saying these cars are not slow. That is a misconception that I appreciate so very much as I dance around V8 and more exotic machinery weekend & week-out. So forget that...
It really depends on what folks mean by slow. Driver's being equal, a spec Miata isn't as fast as most modern street cars. And there is clearly a difference between driving the car fast and it being a fast car. It's no Z06...

-td
Old 06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I assume the consumerables are pretty cheap.. even compared to the like of 944? And pretty reliable too? (if just doing DE)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much time to elaborate now but I got an NA 1.8 miata with torsen in December and am having a blast. Have only shed weight, done maintenance and put in decent pads, fluid and ss lines. Highly recommended for many laughs on road and track! As soon as I have time I'll give a few more details. Changing the rod bearings this week as I've already done them in but no big deal. Decent suspension costs as much as 1 GT3 damper etc. Go for it! A blast to drive regardless of power unless your thrill is straight line speed but it doesn't sound that way.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Rceron
Racer

No experience or knowledge here, but aren't there groups that rent miata's/spec miata's for some events? Best to experience it first hand and then decide. My $02
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr M.B has made some great points worth noting. I didn't want a track only car so I opted for a road miata which I'm slowly modding to my taste but my plan isn't competition just fun.

Quick Reply: Any of y'all run a Miata on track?