Sponsored by:

Advice on brake disc and pads 996 GT3 mk1

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

@ Runet: Where are you located ?
I will have a complete set of 6 pots calipers (used) , Cup discs (new) and Performace Friction pads (new) available very soon.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Nope, Makes perfect sense... Some of us ran RS29s up front and RS14s in the back on the 996TT to help with bias. It worked a little better for that setup.

PFC06s are less harsh on the rotor than the 01s, but still throw dust...
Mike

Originally Posted by runet
Hi Mike.
Thanks for the input, this thread sums up a lot of the differences between Pagid and PFC:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-vs-pagid.html

As I said in the first post, I think the dust from the PFC will be to annoying to live with in the long term.
I'm not in need of the absolute maximum brake performance available either, it's just that my OEM calipers and pads are done and I would like to take the opportunity to have something better, long lasting and slightly lighter for a reasonably price. My driving skills is not on a level where the pads will be the most imortant factor in getting round the track faster, but I would still like to get a combination that fits my needs in the best way.
I hope that makes sense :-)
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Q&A
@ Runet: Where are you located ?
I will have a complete set of 6 pots calipers (used) , Cup discs (new) and Performace Friction pads (new) available very soon.
You have a PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Runet,

Have you considered the Pagid "S" line pad?

The S-Line
also called Sport Pads or CS Club Sport Pads
The Sport Pad is a high performance compound with low fading characteristics and high cold-friction. It is disc (rotor) friendly and suitable for light track use. The level of innovation, technology, and engineering PAGID put into the Sport Pads guarantees superb stopping power with acceptable levels of noise, dusting, and wear. In addition a majority of the "S" Line is standard with anti-noise shims. Available for many Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW applications.

PAGID "S" Brake Pads are dipped in a anti-corrosion blue paint, with a layer also on the friction surface. This paint coating will disintegrate during the first braking applications without any loss of friction compared to our other non-coated compounds.

I sell a fair amount of these pads

You would be looking for PT#T5105 and T5104

PM me for details
Old 07-10-2012, 03:13 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I've run the RS29/RS14 yellow black for years. The harder black in the rear helps with bias. The RS29 isn't interchangeable with the RS19's although some people treat them as such. They have a bit more bit. The rear brakes last forever because they don't do much. The OEM rotors don't stand up well to track use. Switched to Girodisks on the front a few years ago and I get 30-40 days out of them - at least. Current set has about 50 days including 5 races and I am feeling kind of guilty about them.. But they look perfect. Its possible that I am braking less though
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by runet
I have searched and read quite a few threads on discs and pads now, but most of them are about the 996 GT3 mk2 and most of the aftermarket upgrades are not available for the mk1 using the original 4 piston calipers since the disc size are 330mm.

I would like pads that last long, dust as little as possible, be usable both on track and street and don't mind if they are better than the OEM pads. Low noise and no squeak would be nice as well. OEM has been good to me on track so far, but having to get new pads now and maybe new discs as well getting even more bang for my buck is always nice.

It seems to me like the Pagid RS19 would fit the bill quite nicely for my needs.

Regarding discs, I like the Girodisc upgrade that uses 350mm floating discs with original calipers by the means of spacers and longer bolts and still being lighter than OEM 330mm. Price is very competetive as well.
Does anyone have any insight on this upgrade? Good, bad? Can/should mk2 pads be used with this setup, or will they not fit the caliper?

Being cheap (and broke after exhaust upgrade) I don't really want to upgrade the calipers to 6 pistons (mk2 setup) unless some silly bargain shows up.

Any other combination that should be on par with Girodisc/Pagid?
Performance Friction is not an option because of the dust.
I run the 350mm giros front and rear with the 6 pot calipers using PFC 08/06 pads. Braking performance is fantastic on the track and very good on the street with great cold bite and fairly low dust. I beveled the edges slightly and they are very quiet. They are slightly harder on the rotors than the Endless pads I ran before. I hated the Pagid yellows I ran in the past as they were noisy, dusty, and had crappy performance once wore down to 50%. The PFCs are great bang for the buck....
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 AM
runet
Racer

A lot of you recommends the PFC pads over the Pagids, I guess I should listen to you......
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
runet
Racer

I got a set of 6 pot calipers coming my way, so I now have the ability to go for any rotor that fits mk2 (350mm).

I'm pretty much torn between the Girodisc setup and the Performance Friction rotors: Girodisc seems to be offering the best value being a true floating setup vs the fixed drive PFC, they are the same price and both have gained an excellent reputation. The floating motorsport PFC setup is just to expensive to buy all parts separately, although I already have 2 sets of the PFC floating Bobbin Kit available so I can make the fixed PFC floating although with dimpled rotors.

The Girodisc is unavailable at the moment, but I will not upgrade the brakes before the winter brake anyway so time is not the biggest factor. To me they look the better option at the price being both floating and slotted, but PFC seems to have a strong fanbase.

It all boils down to Girodisc vs PFC, what's the opinion on choosing between these two rotors? I will use PFC08 pads all around.

And just to add to the confusion I found this: http://porterfield-brakes.com/produc...roductID=11259

Looks like the dimpled PFC but fully floating? Is this just an error, or some old setup - part# is not listed.....
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I run the 350mm giros front and rear with the 6 pot calipers using PFC 08/06 pads. Braking performance is fantastic on the track and very good on the street with great cold bite and fairly low dust. I beveled the edges slightly and they are very quiet. They are slightly harder on the rotors than the Endless pads I ran before. I hated the Pagid yellows I ran in the past as they were noisy, dusty, and had crappy performance once wore down to 50%. The PFCs are great bang for the buck....
I need to replace my front PFC 08's on 350 mm girodiscs. Does anyone have the part number?

TIA
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM
bobsan
Instructor

PF front pad 08 is:7819.08.17.44
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thx
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a fan of pagid pads and again one more recommendation for PFC pads which are the best I've used so far. I like the 01s over all but they are not good on the street. The PFC 97 is fine on the street and will get the job done at the track. The 08 seems to be a cross between the 97 and the 01 but are supposed to last longer so that's another option and may be the perfect solution if you track the car quite a bit and drive on the street.

I haven't used the 08s but have heard good things. I just tried the 06s and they are OK but the 01s are a better track pad.

I'm not to familiar with tracking 911s but I bought a GT3 recently so for the 911 guys tracking heavily do you like using different front and rear pads to allow the rear to work harder?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I would look at the Reybestos ST43's. Great all around pad and the guys who I have seen track them, love them.

Yes, the PFC01's are really, really nice track pads, they make a ton of noise if you are on the street and toss a serious amount of dust.

If you want to get really serious, look into some custom Carbotech's that can be made to exactly what you want them to be.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting thread, learning a lot myself and appreciate the posts.
I have GiroDisc rotors on one of my cars and they work very well so I would be willing to try them.
I ran PFC Pads on my 993 Track Car and they were amazing on the track but not tolerable on the street.
I eventually switched to Pagid Blacks (not sure what number that is) and they were good enough on the track and tolerable on the street.
The GT3 I got this fall has Pagid Yellows, haven't had a chance to try it on the track yet. In the morning on my way to work I ride the brakes a bit to warm them up because they do not react very well when cold (34 F). The rush I get driving the GT3 to work on the back roads ... priceless
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
I'm not to familiar with tracking 911s but I bought a GT3 recently so for the 911 guys tracking heavily do you like using different front and rear pads to allow the rear to work harder?
I like it so far. Currently running PFC 06/01( was running pagid 29/14 previously -- and carbotech xp10's all around before that).

Quick Reply: Advice on brake disc and pads 996 GT3 mk1