Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM
bobsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using similar system, after 3 years and loosing front splitter 7 times (not loosing, torn off) I've learnt the following:

Bolting it on permanently doesn't work, I think you need that 'fuse' in the fixing.

I personal prefer a rubber splitter over fiberglass. Catch the F/G once good and it'll take a huge chunk out that's awkward to repair.

By using a plastic bolt instead of steel, the bolt snaps instead of bodywork being ripped out.

Twice i've had to repair large holes in front PSU after catching splitter with steel bolts.

The weight of 15 steel bolts and washers is 115 grams or 4oz, that's quite a bit, the plastic bolts weight next to nothing.

Which ever system you decide upon, its vital to fill in the gap between each bolt with something air tight. Sticky pads or as I do a mastic clear silicon, anything that stops the wind getting in and forcing the splitter away from bodywork.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps9307eefe.jpg

Last edited by bobsan; 02-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m getting ready to finally install the cup splitter that came with my car and would like to use the expansion nut method outlined here. I see that most people are installing the rubber nut in the bumper cover (i.e., above the splitter) and then using a washer under the splitter. Is there any reason you can’t insert the rubber nut from the underside of the splitter itself, thus using the rubber nut to capture both splitter and bumper? I can imagine that keeping the rubber nut above the splitter would allow you to pull the splitter up against the bumper more tightly by torqueing the screws, but is that actually necessary or beneficial given the big layer of double-sided tape between the two?

If it’s really better to mount the expansion nuts above the splitter and use washers under it, I’ll probably use nylon washers and/or bolts that can break loose in the event of an off.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Shows you how much I noted the pics. I mounted mine as you describe, with the expansion nut on the underside of the splitter.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Shows you how much I noted the pics. I mounted mine as you describe, with the expansion nut on the underside of the splitter.
Has it worked out okay that way?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haven't been out yet. Just put it together yesterday afternoon. Hope to get it out this weekend. I just mimicked the configuration of the stock plastic rivets.

I should add this is with the Cup splitter, not Joe Toth's. I bought two of his knowing I still had a Cup splitter hanging on my wall, then discovered I had a second Cup splitter in my storage space. I'll probably not use the Toth splitters after all, and will sell them.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Haven't been out yet. Just put it together yesterday afternoon. Hope to get it out this weekend. I just mimicked the configuration of the stock plastic rivets.

I should add this is with the Cup splitter, not Joe Toth's. I bought two of his knowing I still had a Cup splitter hanging on my wall, then discovered I had a second Cup splitter in my storage space. I'll probably not use the Toth splitters after all, and will sell them.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't think it'll matter one way or the other. After hitting an animal at speed with mine, I've seen no evidence of loosening or damange to the splitter, or bumper cover. I'm very pleased with how mine has turned out.

Mike
Old 02-09-2013, 05:59 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

I installed a cup splitter today using the technique outlined in the original post. The rubber nuts seems to hold it very snugly against the bumper with this technique. Can’t wait to test it at the next DE. Thanks to Mike for coming up with this idea and taking the time to document it.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Fbirch, My pleasure. Glad you see the value in those rubber expansion nuts!

MIKE
Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

might be interested in buying them.. PM pics and cost Thanks Carroll

Last edited by 2000gt3cup; 02-17-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried dzus fasteners.. or anything similar would like to remove splitter before putting car on trailer.. I seem to cause more damage there than on the track
Old 07-21-2013, 07:06 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Resurrecting this thread...any updates on this method? Has it been successful?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:09 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Expansion nuts have worked great for me.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works great.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:41 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bgiere
Resurrecting this thread...any updates on this method? Has it been successful?
Worked great for me as well. In my case, I used 8-32 rubber nuts and didn't have to enlarge the bumper holes by drilling them. Just inserted the 8-32 nuts into the existing holes and tightened the screws. If the holes in your bumper are worn out from previous damage, you might have to use the larger nuts and drill the holes as described in the original post.

Quick Reply: DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters