Sponsored by:

Joe T. 996 GT3 Dive Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Joe T. 996 GT3 Dive Planes

Thought I'd give you guys an update on the 996 GT3 dive planes that people have asked Joe Toth to produce. He came over to my place today to show me what he's designed so far.

He's got two prototypes - one is relatively small (still sticks out quite a bit further than the 997 GT3RS 4.0 dive planes), and the second is a more aggressive design that would probably be mostly of interest to racers. Sorry, I guess this post is useless without photos, and unfortunately I didn't think to snap some shots today. The prototypes are fiberglass, but he told me he's also planning carbon fibre versions. It looks like he still has work to do to finish them up and add end fences, but I'll ask him to post some photos for you to see his progress.

As I've mentioned previously re: the splitters, other than being his acquaintance I have absolutely no involvement in this custom fabricating sideline. Joe's definitely the guy to talk to if you have questions.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update IanM. Can't wait to see them. Just like the splitter, I will probably be in for a pair of them.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed. What is the plan to attach these?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Over on the 997 forum, there's a post on dive planes where they're talking about using 3M double sided tape. Not sure but perhaps the larger one would need to be bolted to the bumper.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...e-install.html
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanM
It looks like he still has work to do to finish them up and add end fences, but I'll ask him to post some photos for you to see his progress.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm probably going to be in for a set of these as well....I'm likely going to cave and buy his splitter too even though I've got a spare cup splitter.

I'd vote for the smaller of the two only for the reason that I would not personally want to drill my bumper for dive planes. Something sized similarly to the ones that Eddie made for the 997 crowd that can be mounted via double sided tape and still stay in place.

I may be in the minority but this piece I'd love to be fiberglass as opposed to CF in order to have painted body color instead of a contrasting color to the car.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I'm probably going to be in for a set of these as well....I'm likely going to cave and buy his splitter too even though I've got a spare cup splitter.

I'd vote for the smaller of the two only for the reason that I would not personally want to drill my bumper for dive planes. Something sized similarly to the ones that Eddie made for the 997 crowd that can be mounted via double sided tape and still stay in place.

I may be in the minority but this piece I'd love to be fiberglass as opposed to CF in order to have painted body color instead of a contrasting color to the car.
I second that, would also like the smaller, for ease of installation with minimum impact to the car, as well as body painted.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Okay, Joe just emailed some photos to me. Below are some photos of the smaller of the two dive planes that he has designed. This one would fit on the driver's (left) side of the bumper. Joe's going to come by my place tomorrow evening and get a photo of one installed on the car.
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Hi guys, the first four parts are out of the molds. One set the smaller version and the other the larger. All four of these are in black gel coat and fiberglass. For the carbon fiber parts I still have to build the backside of the mold (it will be a closed mold RTM process so the part will be finished on both sides). I want to produce these parts in both fiber glass and carbon fiber for the following reasons, and please correct me if I'm wrong.
1 - cost the fiberglass is cheaper to produce
2 - paint to body match - if you are going to paint the parts is there any point in painting over expensive carbo fiber unless you really need to save 6 to 8 ounces of weight off the car.
3 - appearance - if you don't have other carbon fiber parts on the car would the carbon fiber dive planes look out of place. if you have a black splitter this would lend to some continuity. By the same token if you have a carbon fiber wing the dive planes would look great in carbon fiber.
I'm good to go in fiber glass and stay tuned for the carbon fiber versions.

So I'm off to Ian's to take some pictures with them on his car and hopefully he can post them later.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

Any chance of making rear air scoops for the rear decklid? Thanks. Mike
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Wouldn't be much of a problem Mike. I first want to explore 997 splitter and dive planes unless there was a large outcry and need for these pieces.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Okay guys, Joe just came over and we snapped some photos of the two prototype fiberglass dive planes. The narrow version is about 2.5" at the widest point, compared to about 4" wide for the more aggressive version. According to Joe, he's ready to build fiberglass ones, and about a week away from making carbon fibre versions. If you have any questions please direct them to Joe at tei@telus.net or 1-604-329-9391.
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Here are some photos of them on my car. They were loosely attached so ignore the gaps. The outside edge of the narrow version has a nice curve that follows the shape of the fender. The outer edge of the wider one comes out so that it basically runs parallel to the side of the car. I think both look pretty nice, but since I'm running a stock wing (w/ 8 degree shims) I'll probably go for the narrow version. Now I need to decide if I'm going to buy a set of fiberglass and paint them body colour, or go for cf and leave them unpainted...

FYI, the mounting surfaces where the dive planes attach to the bumper are currently just over 1" wide on these prototypes, but Joe will be shortening them to 3/4" which is the same width as standard 3M double-sided tape. The first two photos are the narrow version, and the last three are the wider version.
Attached Images      
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

looks pretty cool

how much ?

Quick Reply: Joe T. 996 GT3 Dive Planes