Sponsored by:

Texas World Speedway Sept 29th

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Texas World Speedway Sept 29th

This is my second DE weekend after I had work done this summer; welded fittings, replace all seals, water pump, hoses, coil, spark plugs, Guards LSD, etc etc.
For this weekend I ran on the new AD08R. They offer very good grip and linear slip. I would say they are better than the AD08. With the new LSD as well, the car is just amazing. My fastest two laps are in this video, mid 2:01 to mid 2:02. I still leave time in many places and should be under two minutes by the end of the year. :-) I have to thank Andrew for pulling me around the track .

I am also challenging Rovman to post his video, Stephen and I have the same set up and same tires and his time was sub 1:56. So I know there is a lot left in the car.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Here is a sound clip with my Fabspeed muffler delete
Old 10-08-2013, 08:42 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

A short Datsun dance, this is the last corner of the warm up lap and green flag is at the next station. Tires not warm yet. It is a nice 360. I am not trying to make fun, just sharing some action video.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool
Old 10-09-2013, 01:38 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice driving Tor. Car sounds great and I love the look of the empty space around the engine. How much faster do you think the new AD08R is in comparison to the original AD08?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:24 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Hi Felix. I say a second or so. I should be able to get under 2min at TWS with these tires and my skills which is respectable for this track.
Stephen is a great driver, and with the bilstein shocks and 600/800 spring rate on the AD08R he did a 1:55.7. This is Stephens first time back in 10 years. In comparison, last PCA, the fastest guy there did a 1:54 something in a 997.2 GT3RS on Hoosiers. Fourth place in NASA the weekend before did a 1:54. So definetly very capable tires.
Was he sliding a lot, yes - but still excellent time for tires with 180 wear rating.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You are too kind Tor.

Yes the new AD08R's performed very well. In comparison to the older gen. AD08 I found the tire was better able to handle heat. In the past, usually my fastest lap on the older AD08's was on the 2nd or 3rd lap out after that the tire would heat up . I would say this is not uncommon for any DOT tire. This new tire seemed to have an edge on the older tire in handling heat which allowed more consistent times throughout the session. Granted it was a wet and damp weekend with very little direct sunlight which no doubt made it easier for the tire to perform closer to an R compound tire.

Eventually we got to a point in the weekend where the track stayed dry enough and rubber started to get laid down on the track. Than I started to push the car/ tire a little harder. Yes the car was sliding a good bit, but I was able to maintain good lap times even with the sliding. Truth be told, the tire is VERY manageable when sliding. This enabled me to exploit that rear weight bias advantage the GT3 has by getting on the gas a little early, rotate the car with the throttle, stay on the throttle with the car sliding a little and fire it put of the corners. With careful throttle modulation and slight slip angle corrections with the steering wheel I could real in those R compound shod cars. Was a lot of fun.

There is nothing more satisfying to drive your car in Houston all week for work, drive to the track, adjust tire pressures, run with the "trailered in" cars all weekend. Than, adjust pressures and drive home to Louisiana averaging 25.7 mpg on the way home. Simply an amazing car with a pretty damn good DOT street legal tire as well.

Quick Reply: Texas World Speedway Sept 29th