Sponsored by:

Current market for 6GT3s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Are the fittings welded, guards LSD, new clutch, etc? Any of these items replaced/fixed, that will add some $$ as well
Thanks for the inputs! Unfortunately, no guards LSD, clutch is still stock and coolant fittings are also stock and not welded. When I sold the car to him, those modifications weren't as popular as they are now. I did install toe links and GT2 seats, which he sold it to his 911 friend already. He put about 2000 miles a year since then and all of them are on the street. I'm the only owner of that car who took it to a track.

I'll let him read this discussion and post a for sale thread when he's ready. Here's a latest picture of the car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
I think you should buy it back and restore it to its former glory.
and create our own little CW GT3 club!

Last edited by datax; 03-14-2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Attrition will keep these stable. This was the LAST Porsche made in the spirit of a true sports car. Manufacturers cannot (afford to) make cars like this anymore. The litigious nature of our society has deemed we all drive "perfectly safe" cars.

The 6GT3 is not a perfect car but it is "PURE". It is still considered a street legal race car. Hans Mezger's engine designs graced more Porsche racing cars than any other in the history of the company.

If you ever wanted to own one now is the time. Mooty saw the light as I did over a year ago. I always wanted an RS America for the stable (herd) but couldn't see the value in the car. They are great cars but for a pristine example you could and can buy a 6GT3.

20/20 Hindsight: There is no comparison.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:04 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

PM'd you Datax
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
Attrition will keep these stable. This was the LAST Porsche made in the spirit of a true sports car. Manufacturers cannot (afford to) make cars like this anymore. The litigious nature of our society has deemed we all drive "perfectly safe" cars.

The 6GT3 is not a perfect car but it is "PURE". It is still considered a street legal race car. Hans Mezger's engine designs graced more Porsche racing cars than any other in the history of the company.

If you ever wanted to own one now is the time. Mooty saw the light as I did over a year ago. I always wanted an RS America for the stable (herd) but couldn't see the value in the car. They are great cars but for a pristine example you could and can buy a 6GT3.

Well stated!!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,454 Likes on 2,258 Posts

sweet car, nice (RS) mods ... I agree 50-60, did you do a new LSD/LWFW btw?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot

Agree 100%! I was looking for a pristine RSA for the track until the GT3 came stateside. Game on. Not perfect, but can't name a better track car for reliability + fun.

Datax! Great seeing you back on this board! You were one of the original guys on this board back in the day. What cars have you moved on to??? I still reminisce about the old crew - viken, watt, colm, etc. Good bunch of guys…

GLWS!

-Blake
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

So lets say I buy this car with the intent of tracking it

Checklist would be
1. Buy harness and seats - $3k
2. Weld Coolant lines - $5K (really that much?!)
3. With 50k miles I assume LSD is dead, all bushings are dead, and clutch is probably a bit worked - what should I be budgeting for that? Any other preventive / cleanup maintenance to do before it hits the track? Would, of course, want it to last forever basically
Old 03-19-2014, 02:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

1. Buy harness and seats - $3k (unless you bought used 2nd tear items, it's more than $3000 for two seats/harnesses)

2. Weld Coolant lines - $5K (really that much?!), slightly less, not buy much

3. With 50k miles I assume LSD is dead, all bushings are dead, and clutch is probably a bit worked - what should I be budgeting for that?
LSD 2-3000
clutch and lwft $3000 plus labor
misc stuff $1500

since you are doing all that replaced the water pump.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 123 Posts

Deferred maintainence. In this case at least it's not HVAC, Roof or Termites.

Pick a number, double it, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised when the dust settles.

Best of luck.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 102 Posts

Sorry Mooty,

Good seats - FIA approved, can easily be had for under a $1000 each, a set of Willans belts - as good as it gets in my book are not that much. I guess if you have you favorite shop install and mark everything up you could exceed $3k, but at this point you are paying a lot for convience. New RS clutch is $1400 st Suncoast - just bought one, I would double the misc since bushings will be a bit worn, need spare rims, tires, etc...

Ray
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great points Ray, and true. For years, most 996 GT3 DE guys opted for the RoW Clubsport "GT3" seat (which have skyrocketed in price new) and now seem to run $2500-3K for a pair. With Shroth harnesses at $500+ install, it is easy to get over $3k for "factory" track seats & quality harnesses.

Hey Mooty - looks like you are up to at least 54,000 posts on Rennlist… (Did you know post count rolls over to 0 at 30k?)… Help me guys - how many GT3s has Mooty owned for the track? I think it is well over 15 (if not 20)… So what do you have in your stable now?

-B
Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Sorry Mooty,

New RS clutch is $1400 st Suncoast - just bought one,

Ray
For just the friction disk? I swear I paid like $350 for my RS clutch disk a couple years ago when I did mine and maybe another $300 in clutch fork and throw out bearing. I used the 996 RS clutch not the latest 4.0 clutch even though I have the 4.0 Flywheel.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

1. Buy harness and seats - $3k - buy used, plenty available
2. Weld Coolant lines - $5K (really that much?!)
3. With 50k miles I assume LSD is dead, all bushings are dead, and clutch is probably a bit worked - what should I be budgeting for that? Any other preventive / cleanup maintenance to do before it hits the track? Would, of course, want it to last forever basically

I did 2 & 3 at the same time last summer while the engine was out. Then also replaced the water pump, all hoses and reservoir, RMS and FMS, spark plugs and wires etc. I did not replace clutch as I had plenty of lif left. My total bill was 10k. Adding clutch would be another $2500 if I replaced flywheel for the light weight flywheel etc
Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Ray,

Yes and no.
FIA approved seats such as cobra, momo, pp are well under $1000. Sparco and recaro slider are $200 so each per seat and alum brackets at $175 per seats. I always account for labor. So 1400 or so per seat new. If you tried oem sliders, you will not use recaro or sparco slider again. those are $125 more a set. So things add up fast. Add some schroth or willans belt. $300/side. We are about about $3k for two seats and ancillaries. Some ppl love the 996 euro buckets, those currently new if you can find them are $5-6000 (inc hardware but no harness) about $3000-3500 used.

while the clutch itself is not $3000, if you are doing the clutch, you should replace all clutch bolts, release bearing, guide tube, and since 6gt3 did not come with LWFW, you might as well add them. I don’t know how to install these items so add a bit of labor it’s $3000 easily
Oh, we also pay 10% CA sales tax.
Either way, it’s all too much $$$, LOL
Blake, I just have two gt3 at the moment. One on track one in garage. Would love something like your 964 collection.

Tgavem,
Why do you say harness and seats at $3k are plenty available? Do you mean the euro buckets? I cannot find them in good shape. I only saw 2 pairs in good shape both $4000 and I bought both sets. If you have leads, let me know. That’s just the seats. Not even inc harness!
Coolant line welding is not quite 5k. I included RR of engine, ALL new coolant related line/hoses as this is the time you want to do it.

Quick Reply: Current market for 6GT3s?